Raw Live Raw discussion thread, September 4th 2023: Gunther looks to make history in an Intercontinental Title Match against Chad Gable

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Rly? If it's not great matches during the reign then what really constitutes a standout moment in a title reign?

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Rly? If it's not great matches during the reign then what really constitutes a standout moment in a title reign?
I guess having 5 star matches against Sheamus and Drew McIntyre wasn’t enough

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Raw on Monday averaged 1.70 million viewers and drew a 0.52 rating in 18-49, which I'd call good numbers considering the competition from college football.

ESPN had the Duke vs. Clemson game that did 4.39 million viewers and a 1.32, but it should be noted that Charter subscribers, which are about 20 percent of the cable universe, had the game blacked out and thus in those homes it was not competition for Raw.

USA was second behind ESPN on cable and beat all network programming.

Raw was up two percent in viewership from last week even with tougher competition, up 0.3 percent in 18-49, and up seven percent in 18-34.

Given the show was on Labor Day, it would be expected to do a higher second hour than first, which didn't happen as the two numbers were almost identical with 8,000 more watching hour one. The third hour decline, built around Gunther trying to break the IC title record in a match with Chad Gable, was at usual levels.

The episode was down from the same week in 2022, and most comparisons to a year ago for Raw have been very favorable for growth, particularly with younger viewers.

It was down 17 percent year-over-year with viewers, down 11 percent in 18-49, and down 22 percent in 18-34. When you factor in the decline in homes on cable, the 18-49 number wasn't that different from last year but total viewers would be down 12 percent. Last year also went against college football on ESPN that was available in virtually every home that had Raw, but also overall was not quite as big of a game.

The three hours were:
  • 8 p.m. 1.76 million viewers
  • 9 p.m. 1.76 million viewers
  • 10 p.m. 1.59 million viewers

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Chris Jericho is one of the GREATEST EVER, anyone who says otherwise can suck on a cactus

Not even respectfully

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Explain HTM then

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg

ETE

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
J1K3xhn
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
kane
I guess having 5 star matches against Sheamus and Drew McIntyre wasn’t enough

Well no. I get alot of fans thesedays dont like it for whatever reason, but there's a lot more to Pro Wrestling than just putting on matches. A match no matter how good it is, is pointless if it isn't part of a great story. And Gunthers reign has lacked that. As I said he's great and yes he's had some good-great matches. But he would have had those matches with or without the Title. The current Gable feud is only compelling feud hes had, no memorable promos. Nothing like that. Its just a loooong Title reign. Because again and I don't know why people are so appalled by reading this HHH is a poor booker, he cant book compelling TV, he cant book good feuds.

Great matches that are a part of great feuds where both characters have made you buy into what it means to them to win this match. Again more to Pro Wrestling than just matches, no matter how badly some fans wish there was nothing to it other than matches.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
"no matter how badly some fans wish there was nothing to it other than matches."

:bosque Show of hands everybody, who here wants this?

• Haha
Reactions: Sabretooth

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Well no. I get alot of fans thesedays dont like it for whatever reason, but there's a lot more to Pro Wrestling than just putting on matches. A match no matter how good it is, is pointless if it isn't part of a great story. And Gunthers reign has lacked that. As I said he's great and yes he's had some good-great matches. But he would have had those matches with or without the Title. The current Gable feud is only compelling feud hes had, no memorable promos. Nothing like that. Its just a loooong Title reign. Because again and I don't know why people are so appalled by reading this HHH is a poor booker, he cant book compelling TV, he cant book good feuds.

Great matches that are a part of great feuds where both characters have made you buy into what it means to them to win this match. Again more to Pro Wrestling than just matches, no matter how badly some fans wish there was nothing to it other than matches.
I mean, then that should mean that the Sheamus feud was good, since Gunther wanted to win to prove how dominant he is, and Sheamus did to become a grand slam champion. That tells you how important it is for them to win.

Sabretooth

Reaction score

You do realize that somebody fighting super hard to retain a title elevates the title, right?

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
You do realize that somebody fighting super hard to retain a title elevates the title, right?
So you admit Orange Cassidy is the best champion in wrestling this year? :garrett

Reactions: Vegeta

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3