Kofi Kingston: WWE's Next "Blue Chipper"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WWFAndrew

Reaction score
He'll stay over for awhile like this, but I think he definitely needs to add something to his character to reach a level farther. He is nothing like The Rock, The Rock got over on his mic skills and charisma, Kofi gets over on his athletic move set.

Reaction score
He'll stay over for awhile like this, but I think he definitely needs to add something to his character to reach a level farther. He is nothing like The Rock, The Rock got over on his mic skills and charisma, Kofi gets over on his athletic move set.

Perhaps you didn't see Rocky Maivia back when he debuted. He didn't have any charisma, nor any character. He was just a nice looking guy who smiled alot. Generic. Bland. Vanilla. The fans didn't connect with him at all. Kofi is the same way. I just don't see Kofi going anywhere because of his moveset. The fans will need something more than the Springboards, moonsaults and twists, after his initial popularity run wears off. I just don't see him developing into anything remotely different from what he is now (character wise)

WWFAndrew

Reaction score
It's different though. I admit Kofi does has the charisma, but he doesn't flow on the mic and never would like The Rock did.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score

Perhaps you didn't see Rocky Maivia back when he debuted. He didn't have any charisma, nor any character. He was just a nice looking guy who smiled alot. Generic. Bland. Vanilla. The fans didn't connect with him at all. Kofi is the same way. I just don't see Kofi going anywhere because of his moveset. The fans will need something more than the Springboards, moonsaults and twists, after his initial popularity run wears off. I just don't see him developing into anything remotely different from what he is now (character wise)

Techniquely, he's right, he said The Rock, not Rocky Maivia, so by your own words he was right in saying Kingston is nothing like The Rock

Who remembers Rocky Maivia? No, not The Rock: The People's Champ, I'm talking about Rocky Maivia, the "Blue Chipper" who debuted in 1996 at the Survivor Series.

But on the subject, Kingston has been in the E on the main roster for only 2 years I think, correct me if I'm wrong. And in his two year tenure, I say he's doing quite well. And to judge him by his ability to transition between heel and face is kinda dumb. But I think he could easily play the heel role. Instead of him being the happy Jamacan, he'd be the angry Jamacan. Hell, I don't know if Chuck Zombie was being serious or not, but he could be a Jamacan drug lord that takes no shit from anyone. It's a good amount of things he could do as a heel. And there's been people in the past who seemed like they could only play a one sided role, and that's been proved wrong. Take your Rocky Mavia example. I bet when you saw him, you thought he sucked, shouldn't be there, and doubted he could be anything but the happy guy, and he changed up. Nobody thought Hogan could play a heel and we know how that happened.

Reaction score
Techniquely, he's right, he said The Rock, not Rocky Maivia, so by your own words he was right in saying Kingston is nothing like The Rock

But on the subject, Kingston has been in the E on the main roster for only 2 years I think, correct me if I'm wrong. And in his two year tenure, I say he's doing quite well. And to judge him by his ability to transition between heel and face is kinda dumb. But I think he could easily play the heel role. Instead of him being the happy Jamacan, he'd be the angry Jamacan. Hell, I don't know if Chuck Zombie was being serious or not, but he could be a Jamacan drug lord that takes no shit from anyone. It's a good amount of things he could do as a heel. And there's been people in the past who seemed like they could only play a one sided role, and that's been proved wrong. Take your Rocky Mavia example. I bet when you saw him, you thought he sucked, shouldn't be there, and doubted he could be anything but the happy guy, and he changed up. Nobody thought Hogan could play a heel and we know how that happened.

Well....Come to think of it, that could be a really controversial angle and it could actually work. Kofi becomes some drug lord with dreads and a couple of bodyguards, lol. It sounds silly, but if they styled it with a dark twist, it may work. Add in some Voodoo (not cheesy though) for style points as well. Hey it's something!

Maybe you guys are right...I guess I'll give him more time. Looking back, some of the best faces have been the best heels. Hogan got so much heat when he turned at Bash at the Beach '96 with Nash and Hall, for example.

Airfixx

gatesoftanhauser said:
Kofi becomes some drug lord with dreads and a couple of bodyguards, lol. It sounds silly, but if they styled it with a dark twist, it may work.

Vince wouldn't touch that idea with a bargepole!

Some form of dark suit and sunglasses image would work well for him if he went heel, but the rest of it; absolutely no way.

Kaedon

Reaction score
I think Kofi could become a heel if he has the ability to look like a bad ass. He can get into an angle where the fans garner maximum sympathy for him, then at the end, he shows his ass and turns heel. The other, more subtle way, he could turn heel is he could become a condescending/annoying nice guy. Kinda like Dolph Ziggler who is just a heel in the ring.

Vaan1221

Reaction score
He can become like a Jamaicanist, like the French guys that talk down about everyone except them, He can be the Jamaican man in the New Nation Of Domintaion... That'd Be fly, I can see the Heel turn be very good, he can talk like one of them Druglords and just be a ass, he can evolve very well, he has alot of potential.

teamfujiwara

Reaction score
I like the idea of Kofi with bodyguards. He could be Raw's Brian Kendrick.

Reaction score
I'm telling you..the druglord with sunglasses and bodyguards thing would work excellent. Dress him in some Rastafarian clothing with jewelry/accessories whatever, give him some kind of bamboo walking cane with some ornate handle (could use it behind ref's back) and you've got an awesome heel.

Lord Magnus

Reaction score

You don't even understand what you are trying to say. Rocky was pushed a face by management. He was booked to smile and all of that. When he went to JR, head of creative at the time, in 1997 and said he wanted to be heel. That's when he became what he became. Kofi is nowhere near that or doesn't seem to be heading anywhere in that direction. And they didn't connect with Rocky Maivia? They connected with Rocky Maivia BIG TIME..they chanted "ROCKY SUCKS" and made endless signs that were against him. This is 1997, mind you. The year Austin, Bret, Undertaker, the NwO, Sting, and Owen were on fire with fans yet this midcard face was generating huge anti sentiments. It made sense to turn him and he turned himself into a icon. Kofi? I don't see him going anywhere near that direction.

He's a spot worker who can't lead offense. He's been carried in matches by Benjamin and other heels.

Reaction score
You don't even understand what you are trying to say. Rocky was pushed a face by management. He was booked to smile and all of that. When he went to JR, head of creative at the time, in 1997 and said he wanted to be heel. That's when he became what he became. Kofi is nowhere near that or doesn't seem to be heading anywhere in that direction. And they didn't connect with Rocky Maivia? They connected with Rocky Maivia BIG TIME..they chanted "ROCKY SUCKS" and made endless signs that were against him. This is 1997, mind you. The year Austin, Bret, Undertaker, the NwO, Sting, and Owen were on fire with fans yet this midcard face was generating huge anti sentiments. It made sense to turn him and he turned himself into a icon. Kofi? I don't see him going anywhere near that direction.

He's a spot worker who can't lead offense. He's been carried in matches by Benjamin and other heels.

You don't understand either, do you?

The point that I was trying to make was that Rocky Maivia went over like a fart in church because he was TERRIBLE. You don't remember the Kayfabe days do you? When they wouldn't turn guys based on a one or two week reaction. They tried to get him over as a "Blue Chipper" for months and it failed. Kofi's heading down the same path unless he develops a personality with some depth

Kaedon

Reaction score
You don't understand either, do you?

The point that I was trying to make was that Rocky Maivia went over like a fart in church because he was TERRIBLE. You don't remember the Kayfabe days do you? When they wouldn't turn guys based on a one or two week reaction. They tried to get him over as a "Blue Chipper" for months and it failed. Kofi's heading down the same path unless he develops a personality with some depth

he wasnt terrible, the fans just said "yeah youre pushing him too fast", and he was, the same logic doesnt apply to Kofi.

Airfixx

He can become like a Jamaicanist....

like the French guys that talk down about everyone except them....

He can be the Jamaican man in the New Nation Of Domintaion...

No offesne, but what the hell are you on about?

What's a Jamaicanist for a start?

Vann1221 said:
he can talk like one of them Druglords...

gatesoftanhauser said:
I'm telling you..the druglord with sunglasses and bodyguards thing would work excellent.

Christ! Wake up guys, WWE are not going to have a Drug Dealer character on their show....

a) Of all things in wrestling, drugs are one hell of a hot topic... Why would Vince wanna stir up any more drug-related debate?

b) Half the damn 'smart' fans of this world have been complaining for like forever about the 'kid friendly' direction of WWE... Do you really think that despite this they'll have a Drug Dealer on the show? ...So, when he eventually turns face again, he just get's fogiven for his crimes? Great message for the kids.

c) The logic is fucked... If there is a guy on TV openly flaunting criminal activity why would the cops not just show up on Raw and bust him?

noumenon

lmao...kofi peddling drugs...leading to suspensions of all superstars but him..leaving them no choice but to award him a world title.