Killz previews (and picks) the Rumble

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Killz

Reaction score
My friends, we are less than 48 hours from the Royal Rumble 2011 and this year we have FORTY (that's 40) entrants and the powers that be (WWE creative) are hoping that's going to...increase buys? I'm not sure it's made much difference and I think it will do more to MAINTAIN buys because the current buzz feuds in WWE aren't exactly helping to build the Rumble match itself. Luckily, this is no 5 on 5 or Elimination Chamber and the Rumble needs NO introduction. So, let's get onto previewing this Sunday's show.

Divas Title: 2 on 1 handicap match - Laycool vs Natalya (c)

Luckily, for the first time in a long while, they've paired my two favourite 'acts' so to speak in the divas division. Say what you will, but the McCool<3Taker debate has been put all but to rest and we can all move on with the idea that McCool and Layla are the best act WWE have right now in the Divas division. They're irritating as hell but that makes them entertaining. On the Natalya side? Well she can work and she will help make this match look at least half decent which is a bonus. My pick? LayCool to take the title because I don't care much for any other diva holding a belt when LayCool are working like they are.

World Heavyweight Championship: Edge (c) vs Dolph Ziggler

We can but hope, as fans of wrestling, that these two guys mesh as we expect they might and that this match is given either a decent amount of time and we see a real psychological battle OR if they want to increase the pace that we see Ziggler sell and work his way around the ring like he has for the past 18 months or so and really have a good showing. You might think Edge to be a shoe-in...and you're likely right given his current gimmick but don't discount Ziggler walking away with the title at least until the Chamber. With the heat magnet Vickie behind him if you want to head into the Chamber with two young heel champs they could make it work and change it up in the Chamber if needs be. If Ziggler IS to lose, one thing to note, he becomes my pick to win the Royal Rumble match.

WWE Title: The Miz (c) vs Randy Orton

I'm not going to lie, even with a divas title match on the card, NO part of me wants to see this match if it's just a one on one affair with A-Ri being a douche. If there's a run-in, a stip change, a crappy finish after 10 minutes, ANYTHING will be better than a 25 minute singles match with these two. I'd like to say they might 'pull it out' but their styles, for me, don't work. I am sick to death of Orton being in the title scene. As a face challenger he's stale and as the champ he didn't work so...why is he still challenging? Presumably because they wanted a big name in the WWE title match because they were worried about selling the PPV but really both of these guys bore me when they're together. Orton is would be best in the Austin role of fighting authority with his current gimmick and the Miz is best when he's on the mic. My pick though? I guess the Miz as Edge will likely win his match and I don't want Orton as champ again yet.

The Royal Rumble match

Horrendous match banner ^^ but it'll probably happen as Cena goes on some mad eliminating streak. As for this match, I have a couple of thoughts. First of all, whilst I hope we do get some good Corre/Nexus interaction I do NOT want it to dominate the Rumble and be the whole story. I want a bunch of tangential narratives going on to build to the winner. Secondly, I'm with JR on this one. Look at guys like Ziggler, a guy given horrendous gimmicks and almost no worthwhile ring time but he made what he had WORK. If you're a jobber heading into this match, I don't want to see you phoning it in, I want to see guys like Ryder and Barretta and JTG fighting for their jobs because they have so much talent and need to maximise their big time exposure. Thirdly, my pick is..well I can't call it.

CM Punk/Wade - If their feud is going to go cross-brand and through mania and beyond having one of them in the title match at Mania and NOT a multi-man match wouldn't make much sense.

Sheamus - I'm convinced he'll be eliminated by Hunter at some point in the match.

JoMo - He'll make the final 3/4 I guarantee you but it'll be the same old sad story I feel.

A returning Triple H? - Possible but I don't think even HE wants that sort of comeback these days.

Jerry Lawler - I'm genuinely frightened that this is a possibility.

John Cena - This could happen, and might well be my pick, but it would be the most boring and easy way out for creative. This'll happen if they're sat there in their meeting room this second and but ONE guy worries about the newbie they have booked or whatever. If they bottle someones push or doing something different, Cena will win.

Del Rio - He's ready to main event but the crowd don't believe that yet. Having a heel win is risky enough for crowd reaction but having a relatively fresh and unproven heel win might be a bridge too far. I'd love it though :p

So there you have it, I can't stand up and say that one particular guy will win but I'd be inclined to say a Ziggler/Miz after a loss or John Cena. Still, it'll be one hell of a match! Check back in the review section Monday as I may well have reviewed this bad boy ;)

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Wow this is an excellent thread Killa. Really interesting read and you come of with some very valid and well though points. Only thing I dissagree with is Laycool because it's to my knowledge they're adding Awesome Kong to their stable.

Last edited:

Killz

Reaction score
For real? I hadn't heard that at all. Might be an interesting way to bring the rumored Kong into WWE as a face then? If their stable is going to include her as a bit of a powerhouse maybe the only 'diva' (and I use the term loosely) who'd be able to stop them is Kong? Adds intrigue to the divas match for sure.

Thanks for the response Prod.

Dod Draper

Reaction score
Great article Killa. Well written, looks awesome and I agree with pretty much everything you said.

I do think Del Rio has a shot though, it's unlikely he'll win but I don't believe it's out of reach for him.

Either way, looking forward to seeing this and am rooting for the fresher talent to win. Let's hope WWE doesn't disappoint. :p

Killz

Reaction score
Tell you what's an interesting point (and I'll raise it in another thread) is whether they have the cajones, so to speak, to actually go for the fresh talent at the big time like this.

We know what we're talking about, vaguely :p, but we can see Del Rio can go in the ring, can go on the mic, has wrestling in his blood and gives it his ALL. WWE can see this too, he's appeared on both shows, hasn't missed a SD! since his debut I don't think and is always about. WWE KNOWS he can make it work but I think they're too scared and too reliant on the established stars.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
I edited it to Awesome Kong. That's who I read was joining LayCool but I'm not sure. Though I think LayCool could make a good face stable just going round doing fan segments and interacting in with them.

Killz

Reaction score
Ah that's all good man, I was a bit shocked.

I'd be interested to see the gang warfare thing spill into the Diva's division on a very small scale. Nexus proved it works in the current climate so a short 3 woman a team gang warfare thing might work..I dunno, I'm just throwing things out there but maybe Natalya recruiting Beth Pheonix and another diva could take LayCool and Kong on at Mania or something to give them their big slot but with a storyline that actually has rhyme and reason. Could all start at the Rumble.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah good idea. I just hope Kong debuting revamps the divas division. They have a lot to work with now and I really see it improving.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Excellent post Killz! Great read and I agree that the rumble match is one of the hardest to call in recent years. Not just because of the fact that there are an extra ten wrestlers in the match but because WWE are going through a generational change. There are so many newer stars receiving a push and there are at least half a dozen who could have a case made for them winning the Rumble. Who is picked to win this match will tell a lot about WWE's commitment to building for the future. If they book someone like Cena or HHH to win then we know that WWE don't have any faith in the younger talent. I really do hope that this year it will be a surprise like an ADR, Morrison, Ziggler etc.

WWE really are banking on the 40 man rumble to draw in buys as the rest of the card is quite weak. Edge vs Ziggler is fresh and new but Miz vs Orton is something that few want to see and divas matches rarely draw.

Dod Draper

Reaction score
Excellent post Killz! Great read and I agree that the rumble match is one of the hardest to call in recent years. Not just because of the fact that there are an extra ten wrestlers in the match but because WWE are going through a generational change. There are so many newer stars receiving a push and there are at least half a dozen who could have a case made for them winning the Rumble. Who is picked to win this match will tell a lot about WWE's commitment to building for the future. If they book someone like Cena or HHH to win then we know that WWE don't have any faith in the younger talent. I really do hope that this year it will be a surprise like an ADR, Morrison, Ziggler etc.

WWE really are banking on the 40 man rumble to draw in buys as the rest of the card is quite weak. Edge vs Ziggler is fresh and new but Miz vs Orton is something that few want to see and divas matches rarely draw.

I think WWE are more confident in the Royal Rumble match itself more than anything else- it's one of their biggest PPVs of the year and the concept of the Rumble match is unique, as well as popular amongst the fans.

It's definitely a highlight on my wrestling calender, secondly only behind 'Mania. :p

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
As I have been saying for months this Rumble is wide open and that is a REALLY good thing. I am hoping for a Del Rio win but can't say I expect one. Cena still has to be the favorite. Ziggler-Edge should be a good match but isn't going to draw in too many people. Miz-Orton is repetitive and boring but they need to keep Orton in the ME because he is way over with the crowd.