• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kevin Nash ending Goldberg's streak

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
I often hear people mention this as not only a bad booking decision, but as one of the worst booking decision's of all time. Why? Goldberg's streak was played out and had to go, the crowd was bored with him on most nights. Nash was the most over face the company had. Would the detractors had preferred a heel ending the streak?

If you watch the match it's obvious the crowd preferred Nash to Goldberg.

Also its a common misconception that Nash booked himself to win this match when in reality he didn't have the book until a few months later in 1999.

The mistake they made was the finger poke of doom, not Nash winning the title.

It's a hot face vs face match but Nash is definitely more over. Big Sexy was one of the most over workers on the planet around this time perhaps only behind SCSA

if Goldberg was still treated like a beast and he got revenge first on Hall and eventually on Nash this would have been a great hot feud in 1999 instead of what wound up transpiring with the NWO factions becoming 1 and yada yada yada. This was a well built match with a white hot crowd and a solid end to his 173-0 streak. It was everything that followed that sucked. Nash going heel in the midst of his hottest run was buns

ultimately though Big Sexy is the GOAT

Zany Clowny

AvrilWasRight,EverythingIsSoComplicated
who cares, at the end of the day it's all about the money and the miles

Goldberg was a mark for himself, Kevin didn't give a fuck, never sold beating Goldberg as some amazing accomplishment because he's above it as a character. I fell for the Nash is shit meme early on, but upon further or closer examination, he's unironically one of the GOATs.

Goldberg proved himself to be the drizzling shits in the end anyway, it's not like he got any better. Nash was always good, even later in his career when he was helping midgets develop character in TNA.

2006-2008 TNA was so comfy

Last edited:

Zany Clowny

AvrilWasRight,EverythingIsSoComplicated
Crowds were getting sick of Goldberg too which is something that doesn't get mentioned much, and fuck I can't blame them.

Solid Snake

Champion
Kevin was rightfully cheered on more. I never seen someone argue against this, like someone being pissed this many years later that he ended the streak. I think more people are pissed over Brock ending Undertaker's streak than Nash ending Goldberg's.

Last edited:

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
I think when it comes to ending a streak...you are basically booked into a corner and no
matter what you do...a large percentage of your audience is going to be pissed about it.

As far as Nash/Goldberg...well...I guess at the time I didn't really care because I was
finding WWE more entertaining (I watched both RAW & Nitro during the Monday night
wars because both shows were shown on different nights in Australia on cable...Tuesday
for Nitro & Thursday for RAW...we never had SmackDown or Thunder).

I guess looking back it would have been better for someone younger to get the rub of
first defeating Goldberg...but I honestly can't remember who WCW had around then.

As far as the Undertaker/Wrestlemania Streak...Lesnar did not need it & I'm sure the
WWE regrets giving it to Brock now as it would have been better for "the Future face
of the Company" to break the streak.

I honestly think the Undertaker should have retired after Wrestlemania 29 at 21 - 0 &
then he could have simply made a cameo at every Wrestlemania after that as some
kind of "Spectral Embodiment" of the event itself.

And Asuka...well...I think the only fair way to break Asuka's streak is to have Carmella
do it with her Cash In...and frankly...Carmella could use the rub seeing as how she only
won 4 televised singles matches in 2017...and 3 of those were against jobbers...with
help from her then pet Blob Fish.

Asuka could win or successfully defend the title at one of the "big four" in a long match...
Carmella climbs out from under the ring, hits Asuka with case, starts the match, hits a
couple of superkicks and locks in the Code of Silence for the win...Oh...and Asuka passes
out instead of tapping.

If booked correctly it would be the best way to end her streak...and shake up the entire
women's division in the process.

I'm guessing the WWE has saved her briefcase for Wrestlemania...which was smart
considering how they just "wasted" the men's briefcase last year.

Speaking of streaks that just ended...Aleister Black was pinned for the first time in NXT
& I'm kind of pissed about that...but only because I think Black should be protected and
fast tracked to the main roster.

The Sheik

The Architect
Technician
The problem is more with the finish of the match, using a stupid fucking stun gun. Nobody cares Nash ended the streak, it's not about it. It's about the ending being one of the worst finishes in company history at that time, until year 2000 rolled around.

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Anyone who was upset about Goldberg’s streak ending was just a Goldberg mark. He sucked pretty hard, the whole undefeated streak via mostly random squash matches thing is pretty lame.

And yeah, Nash is one of the GOAT. Always been a favorite of mine.

Crash

I didn't like Goldberg even as a kid when the streak ended... I was already sick of Goldberg always winning and I was a way bigger fan of Nash and the NWO back then anyway.

Zardnaar

The Showoff
It was time for the streak to end, its the way they did it.

At the time they could, have had several believable [people do it (mostly ex WWF)- Hogan, Nash, Sting, Bret Hart come to mind. The way it was done and the dribbling shits follow up were the mistakes.

Did not help WWE was getitng better while WCW was getitng worse. 1997 was perhaps the best WCW year but they tended to ruin all 3 of their biggest storylines in the execution (Sting vs Hogan, beating the NWO to death, Goldbergs streak).

The NWO should have died in 1998, either Goldberg and/or sting starts picking them apart in loser leaves town/NWO type matches until the NWO is down to the original 3 members. Then you can have some combination of Bret Hart/Goldberg/Sting finish them off.

Shtty booking/storyline conclusions and not using Bret correctly were major WCW issues. Apart from money (1997/98 were the only years they made money IIRC)

If anyone watches the clip above the NWO red (wolfpac) were babyfaces at the time along with Goldberg so it was a baby vs baby match. Crowd was not hat sick of Goldberg he got a Stone Cold type pop when he entered. Between this and the fingerpoke of doom it was downhill for WCW and the war.

Last edited: