Kennedy- Any hope?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MikeRaw

Before I get started, does anyone have any idea when this guy is due back in an in ring role? If anyone knows, please say...
But to the point... Is there even any hope for this guy anymore? I remember when the internet was buzzing like crazy about this guy, and how he could be the future, and carry a brand. Did he have a few problems? Sure, but he had sooo much potential. But injuries and inconsistency has been a huge problem for him, and now, at 33 years old, he's not exacly a "young, budding star" anymore. Plus, with MVP in the lines for a push as a face by the looks of it, when Kennedy returns, the role of new face main eventer will already be taken. Especially if MVP wins MITB.
So is there any hope left of this guy being a main eventer, or will he be the biggest "could've been" in recent memory?

The Leviathan

Reaction score
I feel sorry for Mr. Kennedy... I am one of those guys who's seeing him at the Main Event in the future but now, I am starting to doubt it... I still want to see him at the ME but will WWE do it at this time? Well, there's still some hope... just look at JBL! lol...

noumenon

I never had a problem with Kennedy, he always seemed like he had a fair amount of potential. He always seemed to be able to garner a decent pop or a fair amount of heat from the crowd in whatever role he was playing.
The only problem is that with a career that's thus far been littered with both suspensions and injuries it's really hard to get a feel for him for a long enough period of time. When I look back I find it hard sometimes to remember what events in his career took place when...and between what lapses of him not being there.
Had Kennedy not been injured this time I really think he would have been the best suited for where Jack Swagger is at right now. I think he would have made a great heel to carry a show such as ECW. A run on a brand like that would really show a lot of whether or not he has what it takes to step it up into the main event on RAW or Smackdown.
It did however seem though that the KENNEDY KENNEDY angle was getting a bit stale and when he's face really dangerously close to directly biting off of The Rock. Upon his return (which BTW Mike to answer your question will be immediately following Mania. He's clear, but they didn't see anything to do with him before Mania) I think WWE should definately give him one last big shot and see what he can really do.
It's not secret they definately saw some promise in him by handing him MITB two years back. Obviously we never got to see the trigger pulled on that and it went to Edge.

The Rated R CMStar

Meh, I see him into the upper midcard if he turns heel. But now, with MVP, Christian and others above him as a face in their brands, and seeing how every storyline WWE has created for him (MITB cash in in WM24, Mcmahon's son) have all backfired, it will take a huge effort of him to show the company he can be trusted

noumenon

Also...wasn't it pretty recently (like on this injury leave) that he was caught in the lie about taking steroids?

Moonlight Drive

As much as I hate him, I do feel sorry for him. He got injured twice at pivotal points in his career, and I don't think he'll ever get back up there (not that he deserves to be). The Raw ME scene is already clogged as it is, as is the Smackdown mid-card, the only place I see him regaining his past momentum is ECW once Christian leaves.

Bloodopera

Reaction score
when this guy showed up. i was blown away... i saw a new rock in terms of mic skills and a finisher that is so awesome my keyboard doesnt have the letters to express my feelings..

we fast forward to 2009.. and it makes me sad.. roids and injuries are buddies and at this point in his career it'll take a lot to get back up..
Lets make him heel again and take on the 'new' guys like mvp and christian.. if he doesnt get alot of screentime any time soon.. his time may be up and he wasnt even there to enjoy it

Airfixx

Said it all before, but he has two issues now...

1. Will WWE have any faith left in him (for whatever reason).

2. Will the fans continue to 'invest' in his character having been a let down for them for pretty much the entirety of the last two years....

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
I'm with Levi. Kennedy was my favorite WWE wrestler... next to Shelton. I saw big things in him. He's impressed me since his debut. I saw previous greats in him. I was waiting for his big World title win. But after all these set backs, screw ups, bad luck, it's brought up more and more doubt in him. I actually forget he's on the roster at times. I think he'll be in the mid card/upper mid card for a while now.

Honestly, I blame the iwf, it's your fault I've build up all this doubt in him. Thanks alot.

SnackZ

Reaction score
I'm really not sure with Kennedy - I kinda want him to succeed because he has the potential but then I say to myself "does he really deserve it?" and that is where I'm conflicted. He's been suspended and been injured and there are guys who've been busting their asses to be on top (MVP/Punk/Shelton) and they have the same potential that Kennedy has. I would really like to see him go full blown cocky, egotistical heel with a little bit of a Orton craziness. I think having a valet with him would make his character fresher, maybe he can be like "I'm a big star, I'm in movies, I'm so good looking" and have someone like Regal has Layla to be there with him. I think this would help his character evolve and then maybe he can move on (i'm really seeing the potential in him to be built similar to Shawn but I'm jsut worried he's gonna get injured or suspended soon)

RedDevil9937

Reaction score
I think that as long as he doesn't get injured again any time soon once he's back, his big push will start again.

Just look at Orton in 2007...suspended in April then WWE Champion by November. Not to mention he was suspended the previous summer in 2006.

If Kennedy can remain fit and healthy I think he'll get his push. He has all the tools to be a main eventer, and showed it in his epic feud against The Undertaker.

Klide

First off I would hate to see him not return. I see him more of a heel than face and I actually belive he can be a razor if he takes that path. He may not be a main eventer right away and be on the spotlight once he returns like orton did but he can be a perfect mid carder and work his way up and possibly wining the MITB at next years WM and jump start his career and redeem himself.

Christian 2.0

Reaction score
Mr. Kennedy needs to start over. Right now his character is so far out of whack that no one is buying into him doing anything bigger than the US or IC titles. If he ever comes back soon he'll need some help from willing stars to put him over or a big feud with a big star. Out of sight, out of mind.

JimmyD

Reaction score
Definitely, so long as he can stay fit.

His character does need a bit of a touch up given he relies so heavily upon his charisma to get him by. That's not to say that he's not a decent worker, but he never seems to try and improve himself.

Reaction score
He's never going to be a main eventer. It's partially his fault, partially bad bookin, and part bad timing. Dude is too fragile to be a wrestler, isn't even remotely near ready to wrestle in big matches as he is incredibly boring and botches alot of simple shit. It's like watchin a smaller Kozlov wrestle. Add him to the over rated list, I can't think of one entertaing match Kennedy had besides the MITB he won, but wasn't the bright spot. He could have come back as a huge face to feud with Edge over screwing him out of the MITB shot, but WWE doesn't have continuity in their story lines. The WWE was going to give him the super push with the Vince illegitimate child angle and then dipshit gets suspended for roids. Since then it's been like he is on the border of getting over then he get's injured or needlessly drafted to smackdown. Like I said, it's a little of everything that is hampering Kennedy's chances, but I can't honestly say I see him ever being main event material, especially since Jeff Hardy took the main event spot that was presumably his and MVP is on the rise again. Kennedy is not anything special outside his mic skills and I think WWE knows too.