Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to Coach TUF 17, Will Fight in April

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MaNonTheMoon

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
theshield
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Well, looks like I got a reason to tune back in to TUF in the near future.

Dademo

Reaction score
Fucking so sick of this sport, honestly. This is completely ridiculous. Not only does this prove that the UFC CANNOT build contenders, it just shows that that greedy fuck Dana White is all about the money.

Hows the UFC gonna buy every company, (that arguably, puts on better shows, i.e. Pride and Strikeforce), and not put on superfights? This shit is fucked man. Fuck Chael Sonnen, his shtick got old a year ago, and Fuck Jon Jones, go up to HW and fight people your own size. That reach ain't gonna fool Ubereem from throwing his uberknee into your chest.

Zuffa's greed killed this sport. Stop bullshitting and truly put on the superfights we want to see. I truly wish that years ago, it was the UFC who declined in revenue, and was purchased by Pride. What a joke.

TUF - Another joke.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Dademo pretty much nailed it. His post is basically mine, couldn't have said it better.

Chael Sonnen is the biggest overrated hack I think I've ever watched. This guy is a fool and I'm sick of him in main events.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Fucking so sick of this sport, honestly. This is completely ridiculous. Not only does this prove that the UFC CANNOT build contenders, it just shows that that greedy fuck Dana White is all about the money.

Hows the UFC gonna buy every company, (that arguably, puts on better shows, i.e. Pride and Strikeforce), and not put on superfights? This shit is fucked man. Fuck Chael Sonnen, his shtick got old a year ago, and Fuck Jon Jones, go up to HW and fight people your own size. That reach ain't gonna fool Ubereem from throwing his uberknee into your chest.

Zuffa's greed killed this sport. Stop bullshitting and truly put on the superfights we want to see. I truly wish that years ago, it was the UFC who declined in revenue, and was purchased by Pride. What a joke.

TUF - Another joke.

Derp.

How can you say all that when your main boy in the avatar is the one stopping these superfights from happening with his "me respec Jan Jones too much" rouse.

Plus, Sonnen was the only guy willing to step up on such short notice for UFC 151, only right he should be rewarded whether he's 1 - 3 in his last 4 fights or not.

Dademo

Reaction score
Derp.

How can you say all that when your main boy in the avatar is the one stopping these superfights from happening with his "me respec Jan Jones too much" rouse.

Plus, Sonnen was the only guy willing to step up on such short notice for UFC 151, only right he should be rewarded whether he's 1 - 3 in his last 4 fights or not.

Don't try to pull that "Andy's scared" card. Jones has been saying the same shit as he has too. It doesn't matter if they respect eachother. Money talks. They'd fight eachother in a heartbeat if Dana actually had the balls to put together a fight like that, so let's be real here.

Didn't Chris Weidman also say he'd step in to fight Jon Jones for the belt at 151? I didn't see him getting a shot. And just like Chael, he has done JACK SHIT at 205.

That's not the point though. The fact is that Dana won't put together Jones/Hendo or Jones/Machida 2, who, are the top two most deserving contenders in the division, because he said they turned down the fight. First of all, that bald fuck keeps forgetting that Dan Henderson got injured. He didn't turn down that fight, AT ALL! Machida did turn down the fight, that is true, but it was because it was offered on short notice. (Yes, I'm aware Chael was offered the fight on shorter notice), but regardless, Machida was offered on short notice AND actually has proved he's a top contender at 205.

Dod Draper

Reaction score
Dan Henderson says that the UFC decision to match Chael Sonnen with Jon Jones next April “degrades the sport of MMA”.

Henderson had been due to fight Jones at UFC 151 but pulled out with an injury one week before. The UFC couldn’t get anyone to fight Jones on such short notice - except Sonnen, who said he would do it. But Jones refused to accept Sonnen as a stand-in and so the event was cancelled.

Both Henderson and Sonnen are members of Team Quest and have been close friends for years. But Henderson was upset when the UFC announced this week that Sonnen would be taking a coaching role on TUF and then fighting Jones for the title next year.

“I guess I should just quit training to win fights and to be exciting for the fans and just go to sh-t talking school,” he tweeted to UFC president Dana White on Wednesday. But that was also interpreted as a swipe at Sonnen and fans wondered whether there were any hard feelings on Henderson’s part towards his team-mate.

Henderson addressed that today in another Twitter post, “And just to make it clear, I will always hv love for Chael and don't blame him for saying yes to a big opportunity. But giving him that fight rt now degrades the sport of MMA,” he wrote.

But on yesterday’s conference call, UFC president was entirely unapologetic about giving Sonnen a TUF coaching role. And there has been an unspoken implication that Henderson’s failure to notify the UFC of his injury in timely fashion - he sustained it two weeks before he told them - has cost him his title shot.

“Dan Henderson had the opportunity to fight for the title. He got injured. Now Jones is injured, Jones is injured until frickin’ April… Every one of these guys that are bitching about title shots now, were offered the fight and turned it down,” he said.

“They refused to fight Jon Jones and now they are bummed out because Chael stepped up on eight days notice and he’s going to coach The Ultimate Fighter and fight him?

For probably the first time ever, I agree with what Henderson has said.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Hell I woulda stepped up on 8 days notice... what do you have to lose? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by stepping up in 8 days notice. I mean you could wind up scoring the upset and walking out with a massive payday. That was what Sonnen saw and so he went for it. Not really chivalry.

But I have to agree with Hendo as well... Sonnen has done nothing to earn this shot except talk a bunch of crap and say he'd be willing to fight. Hendo was very willing to fight. He figured he could train and fight through the injury but the injury proved to be too much. How many fighters... how many champions fight injured? How many of them say nothing until after the fight? I mean goodness Dana just wanted to have Chael on TUF cause the seasons have been dull and sucking. I mean the last time there was any sort of interest was when Bisping/Mayhem coached cause they actually have charisma and character.

Its just... messed up. I mean if anything... Hendo is gettin through his injury... Jones is supposed to be injured so why not let Hendo wait for Jones to get healthy then those two can finally have their fight. I mean Dana said nothing about Condit sitting out for a year while being healthy waiting for his shot. Instead it's perfectly okay and he was the interim champion. Its just rather messed up.

Should still be Hendo's shot. Then again Machida also earned his shot. Sonnen lost... so that means he earned his shot? So talk trash and lose fights but if you talk trash effectively enough you earn a shot? Looks like the winning combination there.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Don't try to pull that "Andy's scared" card. Jones has been saying the same shit as he has too. It doesn't matter if they respect eachother. Money talks. They'd fight eachother in a heartbeat if Dana actually had the balls to put together a fight like that, so let's be real here.

Didn't Chris Weidman also say he'd step in to fight Jon Jones for the belt at 151? I didn't see him getting a shot. And just like Chael, he has done JACK SHIT at 205.

That's not the point though. The fact is that Dana won't put together Jones/Hendo or Jones/Machida 2, who, are the top two most deserving contenders in the division, because he said they turned down the fight. First of all, that bald fuck keeps forgetting that Dan Henderson got injured. He didn't turn down that fight, AT ALL! Machida did turn down the fight, that is true, but it was because it was offered on short notice. (Yes, I'm aware Chael was offered the fight on shorter notice), but regardless, Machida was offered on short notice AND actually has proved he's a top contender at 205.

I don't think he's scared at all, but hes still refusing to fight a lot of people so I don't see how thats on Zuffa. Kinda like Mayweather in boxing, he's supremely talented but still chooses to cherry pick opponents....anyone that poses any kind of threat is out of the question.

Weidman will get his shot at Anderson next anyway so I don't see what he has to gain from facing Jones. Seems like bravado more than anything as he knows he wouldn't of been given that fight.

Also whats with all the Machida love? How on earth is he any more credible an opponent for Jones? He's 2 - 3 in his last 5 and has only beat RYAN BADER since getting picked apart by Jones in their last fight!

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I don't think he's scared at all, but hes still refusing to fight a lot of people so I don't see how thats on Zuffa. Kinda like Mayweather in boxing, he's supremely talented but still chooses to cherry pick opponents....anyone that poses any kind of threat is out of the question.

Weidman will get his shot at Anderson next anyway so I don't see what he has to gain from facing Jones. Seems like bravado more than anything as he knows he wouldn't of been given that fight.

Also whats with all the Machida love? How on earth is he any more credible an opponent for Jones? He's 2 - 3 in his last 5 and has only beat RYAN BADER since getting picked apart by Jones in their last fight!

The only reason I see is because at the UFC on Fox card it was announced by Uncle Dana that whoever wins the most impressively gets the next title shot and Machida absolutely without a doubt won the most impressively. Other than that... I dunno.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Hell I woulda stepped up on 8 days notice... what do you have to lose? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by stepping up in 8 days notice. I mean you could wind up scoring the upset and walking out with a massive payday. That was what Sonnen saw and so he went for it. Not really chivalry.

But I have to agree with Hendo as well... Sonnen has done nothing to earn this shot except talk a bunch of crap and say he'd be willing to fight. Hendo was very willing to fight. He figured he could train and fight through the injury but the injury proved to be too much. How many fighters... how many champions fight injured? How many of them say nothing until after the fight? I mean goodness Dana just wanted to have Chael on TUF cause the seasons have been dull and sucking. I mean the last time there was any sort of interest was when Bisping/Mayhem coached cause they actually have charisma and character.

Its just... messed up. I mean if anything... Hendo is gettin through his injury... Jones is supposed to be injured so why not let Hendo wait for Jones to get healthy then those two can finally have their fight. I mean Dana said nothing about Condit sitting out for a year while being healthy waiting for his shot. Instead it's perfectly okay and he was the interim champion. Its just rather messed up.

Should still be Hendo's shot. Then again Machida also earned his shot. Sonnen lost... so that means he earned his shot? So talk trash and lose fights but if you talk trash effectively enough you earn a shot? Looks like the winning combination there.

I can see it both ways, I don't agree with Sonnen who hasn't even fought at LHW for years getting a Title shot this far in advance but Hendo screwed himself over by delaying notifying the UFC about his injury, Shoguns lost his way/passion, Rampage is basically gone, Rashads out, Machida turned the fight down. Other than that you've got untested guys like Gustaffson or Sonnen who is a proven money maker and for TUFs sake can be very entertaining.

Andersons at the tail end of his career, he's probably just fishing for money and fights that play to his strengths and can be added to his highlight reel. He'd murder Weidman in my opinion, I've seen nothing from that relative rookie to suggest he'd last a round (unless AS let him).

A shallow LHW division that Jones has walked through certainly helps. Unless Gustaffson wrecks Shogun or Teixeira has another great performance against Rampage then Machida who hasn't had a lot of meaningful wins lately is a good candidate. He did look good against JBJ in that first round as well.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I can see it both ways, I don't agree with Sonnen who hasn't even fought at LHW for years getting a Title shot this far in advance but Hendo screwed himself over by delaying notifying the UFC about his injury, Shoguns lost his way/passion, Rampage is basically gone, Rashads out, Machida turned the fight down. Other than that you've got untested guys like Gustaffson or Sonnen who is a proven money maker and for TUFs sake can be very entertaining.

My only prob with Machida losing out on his shot is he was awarded the shot because he earned it. But its like when you earn it you have time to prep for it. He trained to earn the shot but was gonna have to use that shot on extreme short notice otherwise he'd lose it. Its not right. Shogun is so far removed from title contention... Rampage is a joke, Shad ... well he has to show himself again. Hendo was right there but got hurt and figured out too late that he couldn't compete with the injury.

Sonnen is good for TUF but... he hasn't done anything to earn a title shot. Machida earned it but will have to re-earn it again. Hendo earned it by putting on the fight of the year and will have to re-earn it.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
It is ridiculous that Sonnen who's done nothing to earn the shot gets it while Hendo and Machida who were both awarded title shots are sent to the back of the line.

The UFC is treading dangerous ground though, less and less people are buying into the UFC hype machine and revoking earned title shots so often just means that people may stop caring about future contenders matches when we know it doesn't really mean anything.

I must admit though a certain joy in seeing the UFC doing the same sort of for the spectacle of it/for the pure exciting match's sake matchmaking that so many UFC fans ridicule Pride for. But the UFCs supposed contender system that's falling apart makes this sort of booking more laughable when it happens.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
From a sport stand point it is ridiculous but from a business stand point this is genius. First of all this should save TUF ratings because people will tune in to see what Sonnen says. Second the PPV buyrates for the eventual fight will be huge. Jones should be too good for Sonnen just like Silva was too good for him.

Henderson is unlucky to miss out on the shot but I can see why Dana would be pissed at him. If he disclosed his knee injury when it happened rather than two weeks later UFC 151 would have still happened.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
This will probably be the make or break season of TUF because lately its just sucked so bad. Just been so boring. But Sonnen knows how to talk and knows how to sell. So those first couple episodes are going to be very important. This season was supposed to be good cause of the friction tween Big Country and Dana but... it just didn't stick.

Chase

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
I love how people hack on Chael Sonnen for using TRT and cheating. Yet Reem, Hendo, use TRT and other banned substance they are all good. Do we forget in the two fights Chael had with Anderson he beat him 5 out of the 7 rounds. Do we not remember when just as guilty TRT user Nate "The Great" Marquardt, and Chael was an underdog and literally beat him down. I don't know how anyone thinks Chaell is a bad, or overrated fighter. Seriously dude is good. I mean he lost to Anderson Silva? What you wanted him to back up his talk. Where was Tito when he failed to beat Chuck? Where was Rashad when he failed to beat Jones? Where was Page when he failed to beat Forrest, and Rashad.

I'm not a Chael fan but how is this guy overrated? Please explain too me.

Now as for this decision it is going to rub the hardcore fans the wrong way. Hell we bitch about everything the UFC does now. All I hear now from fans now a days is "Shit card this". "This fight sucks no good names on here". What happened to enjoying the sport for the art it brings us? The sport has become a business and it sucks. Hendo does deserve the shot over Chael, but really business wise why not. Jones wants to beat Chael's ass, and Jones wants to beat Chael's ass. Sounds like fun too me. The thing though which I do not understand is this.

The UFC for all you old school fans you will remember this. Remember when Royce Gracie went on to fight Matt Hughes in the WW division. Well Hughes was the WW champion, but did not defend the belt against Gracie. So why couldn't this be a case? I mean does Jones really need to defend the title against Chael? Or could he have just fought in a one on one fight just for a fight. I mean I think fans are just pissed off that its a title fight, but if it wasn't a title fight I think people would be fine. Agree or disagree.

Last edited: