Joining the army

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

phantomgerald

Reaction score
In Singapore, every male aged between 18-21 have to join the army for 2 years as part of our national service. I'll be enlisting in two weeks. First up, going bald and then 9 weeks of boot camp.Anybody's gone through it and any mental tips? Physical tips are too late now.

Also, just want to let you guys know for all those who will miss me.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
I'm afraid I won't be much use for advice in the military of Singapore, as they could have training regimens vastly different from the United States military.

I'd say just for a general point of view, just do as your instructors tell you to do. Don't let your mind tell you to back talk or not perform at 100% just because you might have a trainer or team mate who's a dick. I think you'll find that the more you just focus on getting each job done from a day to day basis and let that drive your focus, you won't find many things capable of distracting you from completing your training, which will carry over onto equal precision on the mission front, if it should ever come to that.

Secondly, drink LOTS of water. If Singapore is anything like American military, they will work you like a dog in the harshest of weather conditions, so proper hydration is probably even more important than mental precision. One of my friends just got a gallon of water and filled that up each day and went through the entire thing before he was done.

Finally, know your limits. Even with the combination of the above two pieces of advice, there are just certain things you won't be capable of completing. Always make a reasonable attempt, but if you're defeated, there's no use getting yourself hurt. A shamed soldier capable of learning from his mistakes without dwelling on them and completing the exercise later is going to be a thousand times more useful to the army than a soldier who hurt himself because he was too stubborn or proud to allow himself to accept defeat.

Thank you for posting this by the way, I appreciate the thought as Mod of the section. I wish you the best of luck.

J...

Reaction score
Like Knox's Beard said I don't know much about Singapore Army but my best friend of 10 years has been enlisted since he was 18 and even served a year in Iraq. The only thing I can say is if you ever go to war not that I know of any wars you guys would be in don't bottle stuff up when you come back. My friend did and when he got back for a while he was a wreck, he became addicted to pills and alcohol for a while and was even contimplating suicide at times. Don't be afraid to talk about stuff and idk if its like the US Army but if you ever go to war and they offer you consouling and stuff take it. Like I said this is all just suggestion if you ever end up in war but they might end up helping one day.

Reaction score
Good luck, just shutup and do what you're told. That's the best advice when you're "shovelling shit" as a private/entry level soldier.

Here's another golden tip: When you get to your duty station, volunteer for anything and everything if you wish to stand out and make something of yourself. Don't wait on opportunities to come to you, because they probably won't. Oh and if you are allowed, buy your own boots and perhaps a few items of tactical equipment. My ARMY issues me uncomfortable, heavy shit that half times doesn't fit me. I buy some of my own stuff and it works for me. Boots especially!,

Reaction score
a few tips which is pretty much just common sense:

Make your bed really neat.

Shine your boots real nice.

(IMPORTANT) Take good care of your feet, if you feel like you are getting a blister consult the base doctor immediatley.

and finally: Dont do anything stupid, like getting yourself killed (Forest Gump FTW!)

good luck man.

Travis40

Reaction score
I don't have much advice, but what everyone is saying in here, seems to be very good advice.

Good luck

Axis

Reaction score
Good luck man. I do not have first-hand experience with the military, so I will not try to give advice.