John Cena is The Modern Day Hulk Hogan

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chadillac

Reaction score
Hulk Hogan ruled the wrestling world from 1985 through 1994. A nine year grip on the reigns that exploded instantainously, and began to fizzle durring his last couple of years with the WWE. But even through the "fizzle", he was still wrestling's golden standard. His rebirth came in the form of a shocking heel turn that started a second chapter in his carrer, that was otherwise starting to flame out. From 96-99, he was still able to lay claim to the being at the epi-center of WCW's choke hold on cable ratings, booming attendance, and lucrative PPV ventures.

No one other than John Cena can lay claim to being able to sustain that same level of "grip on the reigns". Not The Rock (99-01), SCSA (98-01), or HHH (00-05). Even though I would put Cena at 5th, behind the formentioned as far as being a draw, his 8 year reign with no real end in sight best the formentioned three. Also, it was at this same point in Hogans carrer where the fans really started to turn on him, and he needed to turn heel. Sound familiar?

Reactions: 1 person

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
For once you actually raised a good thread, you're quite spot on.

It is believable for Cena to turn heel, I know I'd like to see it happen again but WWE would unlikely do that. But then again, CM Punk and Orton are already big enough draws and so is Sheamus. So I am hoping you are correct there Chad, I could see Cena winning and everyone then boo's because it's Rock's hometown.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
This has pretty much been widely known for a whole here that this is what Cena is the Hogan of our era. As I've said before if there was ever a time a heel turn made sense to do with him this is the perfect time to do it against the guy he'll never get cheered over in The Rock. It's in Rock's house, biggest stage of the year it's time to pull that trigger. But I feel despite all this they just will still be too afraid to do it which is a bad move because if you look at both Raw and Smackdown who is that main event level heel right now? Bryan while the world champion is not a real main eventer and could go back to the midcard as soon as he loses the title. Mark Henry's run has been over and now back to being a midcard guy. Kane of course is Kane is just the guy who will put over anybody and everybody. Jericho pretty much the same case as Kane. So there is a dire need for a top heel right now.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Congrats Chad made a thread that makes sense, but it's something I think most if not all wrestling fans already know. Nothing to go crazy about.

rcoot93

Reaction score
I don't know if Cena needs to become a heel as he still draws and sells merchandise, however it would be hard to avoid him being booed at Mania and it would attract more viewers

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Whats the point here though, to ponder a Cena heel turn or just pointing out the already overdone comparison between the two?

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
What this does show you is how WWE are struggling to create new stars. John Cena has been the top guy for much longer than someone like a Rock, Stone Cold or HHH because WWE simply can't create enough top stars that appeal enough to fans for them to replace Cena.

I can see why WWE don't want to turn Cena heel, he makes them so much money as a face and there is the worry that if he turns heel his merchandise will completely drop off. The hope would be that those that are now booing him will now buy his merchandise at the same levels that the kids did. It may also turn the kids away from WWE unless WWE present another top face that can take his spot. I agree that WWE need a top heel and Cena could be that guy but tell me honestly if Cena does go heel who is the face that kids can get behind? CM Punk doesn't appeal to kids so he can't be it and Orton doesn't really appeal to kids either. They need to find someone else who can be a fan favourite and get kids an families to tune in weekly. Until they find that guy there is no point in turning Cena.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
Congralutions Chad on making a thread that doesn't mention Cody.

Now onto to the thread there is many reasons for WWE not creating new stars

1. All the new guys act the same either heel or face and they don't seem to be making the effort save for a few.

2. John Cena and Randy Orton go superman on their asses now I know Cena put over Punk but who else has he put over recently nobody and to be fair Punk was already well established, and despite what people are saying I think Barret and Cody didn't fare any better after their respective feuds with Orton and just ended up getting laid out with RKO's.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
What this does show you is how WWE are struggling to create new stars. John Cena has been the top guy for much longer than someone like a Rock, Stone Cold or HHH because WWE simply can't create enough top stars that appeal enough to fans for them to replace Cena.

I can see why WWE don't want to turn Cena heel, he makes them so much money as a face and there is the worry that if he turns heel his merchandise will completely drop off. The hope would be that those that are now booing him will now buy his merchandise at the same levels that the kids did. It may also turn the kids away from WWE unless WWE present another top face that can take his spot. I agree that WWE need a top heel and Cena could be that guy but tell me honestly if Cena does go heel who is the face that kids can get behind? CM Punk doesn't appeal to kids so he can't be it and Orton doesn't really appeal to kids either. They need to find someone else who can be a fan favourite and get kids an families to tune in weekly. Until they find that guy there is no point in turning Cena.
Bringing this back up as i've been meaning to respond to it for ages now, just never got round to it.

I'm pretty sure people won't like or agree with who i'm going to nominate to be the next mainevent face that the kids can get behind, but i'm gonna throw my reasonings out there.

Kofi Kingston

The guy is just the ultimate babyface who the kids definitley could get behind and even some of the adult audience who like Cena. The guy is always over despite their yo-yo treatment of him, lack of character and lack of mic time and the fact that he's gotten over purely on his wrestling is a huge positive in my opinion. People say his mic skills suck, but I totally disagree. Look at the time he got the mic during the Orton feud, he was perfectly fine. Sure he's not a Rock or a John Cena, but he's damn sure not horrible either and I totally think he could hang in a main event program. I swear people just assume that because he doesn't get the mic that in turn means he sucks. Look at how much Daniel Bryan is reveling in weekly mic time over the past few months, who would have thought that other than the guys who watched him on the Indies? I believe the same could happen for Kofi or anyone for that matter if given the chance.

A couple of other little points that you could consider lame but I think could work are:

His attire. It's bright and gaudy much like Cena's earlier stuff and I could totally see the kids lapping it up.
Taunt / Signature moves. His Boom Clap or whatever you want to call it is easily recognisable to him, much like Cena's you cant see me. Also, you add in his Boom Drop which allows the fans to interact with him midmatch once again much like Cena's five knuckle shuffle.
His ring work is pretty exciting compared to most of the routine stuff you see from other guys in the main event, but it also doesn't hinder who he could work with. His massive crossbodys could be used against anyone whether that be Cena, HHH or some lowercard worker.

I've got my tin hat on ready for the flamefest, but i'm actually shocked they haven't retried with him over on SmackDown for instance where they could him up before moving him over to Raw if needs be.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Kofi doesn't seem too farfetched to me with the right tuning. But I see him more as the future Rey Mysterio: Fights as the upstanding underdog for most of his career, maybe even cracking the big one a couple of times, eventually becoming a solid top tier babyface. I can see that. But realistically, and like Mysterio, not quite becoming the top babyface.

The only thing Kofi needs to make my analogy perfect is an Eddie... Ziggler? I have no idea.