Jericho/Rourke

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

noumenon

So... it's no suprise that WWE has gotten into the pattern of having a celebrity or other non wrestling cameo at Wrestlemania. This year it appears they're going with "THE WRESTLER" Mickey Rourke.

First off, it really seemed that the WWE had a pretty strong disdain towards the movie. Obviously the movie shows the inner workings of the wrestling business and doesn't hide the fact that everything is staged.

Last year the person chosen to accompany the celeb was Big Show. Obviously Show doesn't have much else going on, and he was just coming back from a hiatus...so yeah, didn't really matter.
Now this year they've chosen....Chris Jericho????
I'm really baffled as to why they would waste Jericho's WM experience with something like this. Do they want Rourke to be with a guy who can carry him in the ring and cut amazing promos? Yeah I suppose Jericho is the guy for that.
But for someone who has had such an amazing year I really don't think that this is the way it should culminate at the biggest PPV of the year.

And how are they planning on promoting this? Rourke making comments on talk shows while plugging his movie and then Jericho standing twiddling his thumbs every week responding with a quick promo?

I suppose we're also suppose the ignore that this guy just starred in a movie that shows that what everyone is tuning into watch every week is staged?

I have nothing against Rourke...or the movie. I personally haven't seen it yet, haven't had time to get to the movies just yet. I just don't know if this is a great move for WWE to be making right now with one of their top talents at such an important time of year.

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Do you mind trimming up your signature?

Not feeling the warmth to a Jericho vs. Rourke match yet. At least you've got the best outer-ring performer in the business with a professional actor, so the promos should be top notch. That might swing my vote.

CT Styles

It's the stupidest thing they could do. It's giving the movie free advertisement when it showcases that wrestling is staged.

MikeRaw

I agree with Seventh Reason. The promos between these two could be classic. The only problem is what CT Styles says, about how the movie shows wrestling as staged, but I think they don't care. Anyone old enough to see that movie knows wrestling is staged anyways, and therefore, it doesn't matter.
This could be pretty cool, but it's too early to tell.

Moonlight Drive

Anybody who has watched a recent WWE DVD knows wrestling is staged.

Airfixx

This has far more potential than the usual WM-celebrity crap (Aside from Snoop Dogg and the Diva's.... They should have milked that one for all it was worth).

As for why "waste" Jericho...

This will be a high profile match and considering there's not really anything for him to do in the immediate future this bodes better for Y2J than some hastily cobbled together fued off of the back of the EC match at NWO.... Rey maybe wouldn't be too bad option (Jericho could attack him and continue the 'anti-sycophant' angle, but I think he had most of that driven out of him by 'The Macs' last week and I think his character is about to get tweeked.), but otherwise who ya got? ...Kofi?

...Tell me THAT wouldn't be a waste of Jericho at WM!!!

Side note: Jericho occupied with this angle says to me we are one step closer to getting HBK v Taker @ WM... Jericho & Taker had a few run-ins @ the RR and it coulda been construed as 'seeds sewn' for a match between them at WM.

Reaction score
Within the pro-wrestling inner sanctum, Chris Jericho versus Mickey Rourke is the undercard.

From the vantage point of the general public, Chris Jericho versus Mickey Rourke is the main event! And Wrestlemania is the only event in pro-wrestling which receives widespread commercial acknowledgement.

Also - the match might depress Chris Jericho's credibility (and it might not), but this is a huge opportunity for Christopher Irvine.

taikimoto

Reaction score
Every wrestlemania it seems some celebrity is involved.Rourke is a nut job and
no matter what planned finish they have Rourke will screw it up.

Airfixx

Never gonna happen but....

What if they end up having all the ROH guys from the movie do a run-in, getting Rourke the victory against Jericho and kicking off some kind of mock invasion storyline? :mrgreen:

Soulpower

Simply put, this is Jericho's biggest angle of his career. He's going to be the one showing up on TV shows hyping this shit up (And he'll do a great job at it), and he'll get more mainstream recognition than he ever has in his career.

If they go through with this match, I would make it a No DQ match, that way you can protect Rourke a bit by having him use chairs and whatnot.

NewHBK

Reaction score
It will be a spectacle. I expect Flair and/or Piper to be in Rourkes corner. Either Rourke wins by interference or DQ. In some way, Piper and Flair will make the save for him.

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
[YT]tnR_WX5snAs[/YT]

From Larry King Live

I think it might can be ok. I'll wait for it to advance more before I give my opinion on it.