• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Which song do you prefer?

• Entry 1

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Entry 2

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
If you actually listened to the lyrics you'd understand what it is about.

From my viewpoint, its about a person being born into the world, and from that very moment having everyone tell them what they should and shouldnt be/do/want. About how "the man" wants us to all do the same thing and become mindless robots, cogs that are part of a machine. And then goes into how being an individual and doing your own thing is seen as bad, and how by following what others do, you go and deny yourself and regret your life at the end.
That's all well and good but the music doesn't jive well and the lyrics are bad. If you want to tell a great story, you need great lyrics.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Not to get into a debate because clearly the lyrics could have a different meaning to everyone, but I've never thought of it in the way Jay Dee described. I've always felt the song (and the other two for that matter) are allegorical references to James Hetfield's own life. I'd waste space summing it up here, or you can just read this dude's blog because he does a pretty bang on job....

http://explorerockmusic.blogspot.ca/2013/08/song-meaning-analysis-and-facts.html

I don't think the song is meant to tell a "great story" but rather is simply the band's lyricist getting some personal things off his chest.

I will, however, argue that the music is good, and if you don't like it then you're in the minority. It's not like it's anywhere close to the worst stuff Metallica has put out and is a very memorable track from their most commercially successful album.

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
I have to say about the worst thing Metallica did was Load and Reload, in the sense that it was the complete opposite direction from what their whole sound was. I even had more of an appreciation for St. Anger. I myself am a pretty big fan of bands like Deftones and Meshuggah and I found at lot of their influence on that album.

That being said, Load and Reload clearly were the albums that got the most airplay out of any of their music.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I have to say about the worst thing Metallica did was Load and Reload, in the sense that it was the complete opposite direction from what their whole sound was. I even had more of an appreciation for St. Anger. I myself am a pretty big fan of bands like Deftones and Meshuggah and I found at lot of their influence on that album.

That being said, Load and Reload clearly were the albums that got the most airplay out of any of their music.
The black album was played everywhere I think it got more airplay than any of the others. That's also the album that everyone said that they sold out on.

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
Well, I can see why people say that. But than I hear songs like "Wherever I May Roam" and I still think there's some thrash roots in there. Unlike Load and Reload which have absolutely none whatsoever.

But yes, The Black album is extremely dialed down from Master of Puppets, but they started to do that on Justice. I think The Black album was the midway point before Load and Reload plundered the whole Metallica sound that fans from the 80s love for good.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
BAD NEWS PUNK WINS