Is WWE Racist?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Twitchy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
heathslater
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
alsnow
Favorite Wrestler
melina
No, I dont know where you got that from.

American audiences are generally racist though, they chant USA blindly anytime an ethnic faces a white guy.

Black people tend to be better athletes than white men, so they will have their pick of what sport to get into. Unless they have a natural affinity for rasslin I dont see what it has to offer them when they could get more money & fame being an NFL running back.

Just one of those things I guess, no real reason to it. Same thing as 'why isnt there more Asian footballers in the Premier League'.

Now that is racist lol.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I'm not sure why you'd claim Foreigners wouldn't count.

As far as the Black guys you mentioned. Booker was pushed in WCW and the cheapest to get out of his AOL contract so yeah not them look what they did with him after (King Bookah) Shelton got the same mini spurts Kofi gets to appease the Black audience. The Rock doesn't count but does?

Aside from The Rock Ron Simmons is the only example of them pushing a Black man to the top on their own and how long ago was that?
Name one wrest;er worth pushing to the top?

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you'd claim Foreigners wouldn't count.

As far as the Black guys you mentioned. Booker was pushed in WCW and the cheapest to get out of his AOL contract so yeah not them look what they did with him after (King Bookah) Shelton got the same mini spurts Kofi gets to appease the Black audience. The Rock doesn't count but does?

Aside from The Rock Ron Simmons is the only example of them pushing a Black man to the top on their own and how long ago was that?

Because someone's skin color does always reflect their nationally. There are plenty of black people who are American. One of the barriers for Japanise talent for example, seems to be their lack of English. I don't think this should matter, but it always does for some reason.

Booker T was pushed to the top, that was only 2006, and he retains a decent role in the company to this day. Lashley also got a big push, he just lacked what it takes to be a headliner.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
You don't think the language barrier matters? It's harder for them to do everything in the business if they don't speak the language. There's no calling during the matches, so it has to all be scripted beforehand, then they obviously can't cut any promos, and sure some people have been just fine with either not cutting any or not really having the skill to, but they're not that common, and definitely won't get you out of the midcard.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
If Tenryu couldn't get over in the WWF with his english skills, than noone without it ever will.

Yoko was pushed to the moon, because he was Samoan and spoke perfect English.....And why does noone ever talk about Samoans when it comes to pro-wrestling and racism? Is it because it totally kills the notion of racism? Because alot of Samoans were worth pushing to the top of the card, because they could draw? Or Mexicans for that matter?

Why does it always come down to race, when ONE person doesn't see someone of their race on top?

Cherry picking racial causes is racism in itself.

Last edited:

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Name one wrest;er worth pushing to the top?

So black guys are just naturally worse at pro wrestling?

I mean in all honesty it's all about mic work. And what you're given to work with if you get shit from the beginning then how are you supposed to change that? It's not the days of old where you're encouraged to go off book.

JTG when we actually saw him wasn't so bad. RTruth was pretty hot for a minute. Titus O Neil given decent time could go somewhere.

But your saying that over the past 30 years only 3 Black men (Booker, Henry, Simmons (hell I'lll give you the rock and say only 4?)) have been good enough to be World Champions in WWE? I'm talking world wide we know how WWE finds talent only 4 in the world were ever that good?

As far as the other races point.

Though their could be an argument for the fact that when weight classes mattered Mexicans and African Americans tended to be on the smaller side of the spectrum.

Last edited:

Weez

Reaction score

I mean in all honesty it's all about mic work. And what you're given to work with if you get shit from the beginning then how are you supposed to change that? It's not the days of old where you're encouraged to go off book.

JTG when we actually saw him wasn't so bad. RTruth was pretty hot for a minute. Titus O Neil given decent time could go somewhere.

But your saying that over the past 30 years only 3 Black men (Booker, Henry, Simmons (hell I'lll give you the rock and say only 4?)) have been good enough to be World Champions in WWE? I'm talking world wide we know how WWE finds talent only 4 in the world were ever that good?

Though their could be an argument for the fact that when weight classes mattered Mexicans and African Americans tended to be on the smaller side of the spectrum.

Simmons wasn't a world champ in WWE. We're having a discussion of World Champions and you bring up JTG.... Seriously? You just contradicted the validity of your "3 Black Men" line... which, to deny the Rock himself for not being "black" enough is in and of itself racist. That said, I"ll go down the roster at WWE.com right now and give thoughts on every black guy on the roster (which is also racist). Just hope none of them are mixed... I'd hate to get some of them disqualified -_-

Big E: Been on the main roster under a year, held a midcard title once or twice. Getting a good push with 2 straight PPV matches without a title. He's got the look, and while he's still a little green, he's decent enough in the ring. His mic work needs work (which seems to be a recurring theme). Been doing this almost "Preacher" gimmick in his prerecorded promos lately. Wonder if that'll get him over.

Byron Saxton: Terrible NXT rookie who's now an announcer. He's good there.

Darren Young: Great Athlete but the most interesting thing about him is that he's gay. He literally has no character. He doesn't stand out from the crowd. He doesn't make people say "Who is THAT guy? I wanna see THAT guy more."

David Otunga: Awful Wrestler. He's a natural talker. I think he'd make a good manager that could be more "hands on" than we're used to traditionally.

Kofi: Probably the most athletic guy on the roster. Does the flippy shit. Doesn't come off as a badass. That's a problem. He needs a mean streak to get to the next level. He's all smiles and springboards. He needs to slam someone's head into the steel steps a few dozen times and maybe we could talk. WWE dropped the ball with his feud with Orton. Should have been his launching point. Not to the title, but to the top of the card to sink or swim.

R-Truth: Most likely to actually WIn the WWE title... but I don't see it happening. He was on a roll for a while, but that weird, funny character never gets to win the title. Go back to the mean streak and he could get a title run as a heel. He's too bojangley as a face to be taken seriously. (Was that racist?)

TItus: Great size. Green worker. Annoying to listen to.

Xavier Woods: Debuted on the main roster this year. Had a decent run with Brodus Clay, and gets TV time still. Hasn't really risen from the crop, but he's good. Great Charisma, will be a fan favorite for years.
That's the roster as of today. I don't see anyone that was *wronged* that they aren't champion as of yet or is really making me think O.O Future World Champ.

Going back over the last few years, Zeke Jackson comes to mind. He had the size, had a cool accent being from Guyana (I think) and seemed comfortable talking, and had that Monster Strong playbook down pat. I think that guy could have been good if he'd been given a Bobby Lashley type push.

THAT guy... that guy wasn't close to deserving or talented enough to be in the stop he was given. Terrible. Oh, but TNA will put the strap on him a few times. LOLTNA

The only black guy I can think of in NXT is .. god, Jason Jordan or something? Great look, generic as hell.

It's not that the WWE is racist. Whoever gets the biggest connection with the audience that can actually hold a decent match gets the strap... Usually. Is it racist that a predominantly white audience predominantly connects with white performers? Because whoever brings ratings and buyrates is who is "Best of Business."

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

Because I said black people were naturally worse right? Is this a serious post or are you baiting me? Fine I'll bite.

Mark Henry puts every promo he is given into his own words, JTG and Shad actually talk the same way they were on WWE TV, not allowed going off book my ass. If it works, no company is going to tell them not to.

And New Jack is still my favorite promo man in the industry.

You're examples suck btw, R-Truth is a one trick pony who has been doing the same shit since K-Kwik, and his angry blackman schtick was over to five people and he couldn't work heel. JTG was someone I thought had potential to be a star, but he never made any improvements when Cryme Tyme split.

And I've gone on record saying Titus could be something, Pancake Patterson was my shit, I said he anchored PTP, time will tell on him.....You use could, and that is all he has. No hindsight on him yet ffs.

Who though? I asked that didn't I? Fucking Ahmed Johnson? Was D-Lo going to overshadow Rock or Austin? Maybe Farooq if Ahmed didn't fuck his back up legit, and he had to rely on tags for the rest of his career. JYD could've? Maybe if he wasn't smack dab in the middle of HULKAMANIA RUNNING WILD.....Seriously....I'm thinking hard on those 30 years, and I can't think of anybody worth pushing past the guys on top at their respective times, should Shelton have been booked like Lesnar? Because jumping skills equal the natural physical charisma Lesnar had? Could he have been like Angle? Spin gold into anything given to him? Big fat nope on that one. Does the company need token champs now? Should they just elevate Darren Young to the top spot because he could be the first openly gay champ who is black? Yeah, they can check off two slots on that one.

huh? What? this supposed to make sense?

Didn't even bring up Elijah Burke or Monty Brown.....YOU FAIL.

Last edited:

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Simmons wasn't a world champ in WWE. We're having a discussion of World Champions and you bring up JTG.... Seriously? You just contradicted the validity of your "3 Black Men" line... which, to deny the Rock himself for not being "black" enough is in and of itself racist. That said, I"ll go down the roster at WWE.com right now and give thoughts on every black guy on the roster (which is also racist). Just hope none of them are mixed... I'd hate to get some of them disqualified -_-

Big E: Been on the main roster under a year, held a midcard title once or twice. Getting a good push with 2 straight PPV matches without a title. He's got the look, and while he's still a little green, he's decent enough in the ring. His mic work needs work (which seems to be a recurring theme). Been doing this almost "Preacher" gimmick in his prerecorded promos lately. Wonder if that'll get him over.

Byron Saxton: Terrible NXT rookie who's now an announcer. He's good there.

Darren Young: Great Athlete but the most interesting thing about him is that he's gay. He literally has no character. He doesn't stand out from the crowd. He doesn't make people say "Who is THAT guy? I wanna see THAT guy more."

David Otunga: Awful Wrestler. He's a natural talker. I think he'd make a good manager that could be more "hands on" than we're used to traditionally.

Kofi: Probably the most athletic guy on the roster. Does the flippy shit. Doesn't come off as a badass. That's a problem. He needs a mean streak to get to the next level. He's all smiles and springboards. He needs to slam someone's head into the steel steps a few dozen times and maybe we could talk. WWE dropped the ball with his feud with Orton. Should have been his launching point. Not to the title, but to the top of the card to sink or swim.

R-Truth: Most likely to actually WIn the WWE title... but I don't see it happening. He was on a roll for a while, but that weird, funny character never gets to win the title. Go back to the mean streak and he could get a title run as a heel. He's too bojangley as a face to be taken seriously. (Was that racist?)

TItus: Great size. Green worker. Annoying to listen to.

Xavier Woods: Debuted on the main roster this year. Had a decent run with Brodus Clay, and gets TV time still. Hasn't really risen from the crop, but he's good. Great Charisma, will be a fan favorite for years.
That's the roster as of today. I don't see anyone that was *wronged* that they aren't champion as of yet or is really making me think O.O Future World Champ.

Going back over the last few years, Zeke Jackson comes to mind. He had the size, had a cool accent being from Guyana (I think) and seemed comfortable talking, and had that Monster Strong playbook down pat. I think that guy could have been good if he'd been given a Bobby Lashley type push.

THAT guy... that guy wasn't close to deserving or talented enough to be in the stop he was given. Terrible. Oh, but TNA will put the strap on him a few times. LOLTNA

The only black guy I can think of in NXT is .. god, Jason Jordan or something? Great look, generic as hell.

It's not that the WWE is racist. Whoever gets the biggest connection with the audience that can actually hold a decent match gets the strap... Usually. Is it racist that a predominantly white audience predominantly connects with white performers? Because whoever brings ratings and buyrates is who is "Best of Business."

No, but he was in WCW, and he certainly got a decent size push in WWF/E first as leader of the Nation, and then in the team with Bradshaw.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
If Tenryu couldn't get over in the WWF with his english skills, than noone without it ever will.

Yoko was pushed to the moon, because he was Samoan and spoke perfect English.....And why does noone ever talk about Samoans when it comes to pro-wrestling and racism? Is it because it totally kills the notion of racism? Because alot of Samoans were worth pushing to the top of the card, because they could draw? Or Mexicans for that matter?

Why does it always come down to race, when ONE person doesn't see someone of their race on top?

Cherry picking racial causes is racism in itself.

Actually, I was thinking of the Samoans, but then WWF/E have pushed quite a number of Samoan based guys such as Rikishi, Umaga and certainly The Rock so that does disprove that theory a little.

Chris the not speaking thing can be a problem, but I think people make a little too much of it. There are good wrestlers and there are bad wrestlers, if you have talent you have a better chance of getting over than if you don't. How did Rey Mysterio get over? Because he could do stuff in ring which main stream wrestling fans were not used to seeing at the time.

Weez

Reaction score
No, but he was in WCW, and he certainly got a decent size push in WWF/E first as leader of the Nation, and then in the team with Bradshaw.

Yes, I"m aware of that. I'm probably one of the few here who was alive/actually watching wrestling (and watching live) when Ron Simmons won the World Title. THat wasn't the point. Hollywood listed Simmons as a champion WWE made in a discussion of whether or not WWE is racist, which made it incorrect and worth pointing out. Simmons is one of my all-time favorites and I was happy with the direction WWE went with him once he got out of the "Faarooq Asad" war-gear he debuted in. Had he not been on the tail-end of his career (and his injury issues), I think he could have been a real player, even in an era with HHH, Rock and Stone Cold.

Thread should be retitled "Does WWE discriminate against black wrestlers?" because it's been clearly proven (by common sense) that the only questionable race would be black performers. Hollywood also says "in the last 30 years"...while the first black guy to actually WIN a World TItle in a major promotion (Simmons) only happened 22 years ago in WCW. Also, until Hogan left the WWE in 1994, maybe in the last couple years before that, the only people getting pushed to the top of the card were guys who got fed to Hogan, regardless of race. If you wanna talk 80's, I disagree with the JYD being good enough to be a World Champion. Bad News Brown/Allen however? Yeah, that guy was one hotshot fucking heel that could have got it done. His heat was legendary.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
. If you wanna talk 80's, I disagree with the JYD being good enough to be a World Champion. Bad News Brown/Allen however? Yeah, that guy was one hotshot fucking heel that could have got it done. His heat was legendary.
Dammit Weez, nobody loves ya more than me, but c'mon bro.

JYD was super popular and was just behind Andre on the Rock n Wrestling cartoon. You'd agree with me, if you saw his Mid-South days, it was just his lackadaisical attitude towards training that kept him from reaching that brass ring. He was also still selling tickets against Flair in 89 or 90.

Bad News on the otherhand, was a bad motherfucker who I loved in Stampede and UWFi, but he couldn't work, was terrible at selling, and never fed comebacks, the main reason why his push was halted.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Chris the not speaking thing can be a problem, but I think people make a little too much of it. There are good wrestlers and there are bad wrestlers, if you have talent you have a better chance of getting over than if you don't. How did Rey Mysterio get over? Because he could do stuff in ring which main stream wrestling fans were not used to seeing at the time.

And he could speak the languages of the people he worked with. You can't do none of that shit and make it look good without being to plan it and call it correctly in the ring.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
That is the thing through as long as he or she is willing to learn the language then I think that should be taken into account, but if they have been there for awhile and show no sign of learning it, that is a different story.

You also have to ask why WWE would waste money on someone when they know such a thing could be an issue?

Weez

Reaction score
Dammit Weez, nobody loves ya more than me, but c'mon bro.

JYD was super popular and was just behind Andre on the Rock n Wrestling cartoon. You'd agree with me, if you saw his Mid-South days, it was just his lackadaisical attitude towards training that kept him from reaching that brass ring. He was also still selling tickets against Flair in 89 or 90.

Bad News on the otherhand, was a bad motherfucker who I loved in Stampede and UWFi, but he couldn't work, was terrible at selling, and never fed comebacks, the main reason why his push was halted.

Sorry man, but I don't buy in. I didn't see his mid-south shit, tbh, but then again, since we're going that far back, I live in the WCCW/USWA territory. Didn't get a lot of anything else back then, you know how it was. Bad News was probably rose-colored glasses honestly. I absolutely hated the guy as a kid. The way he fucked over Bret. That infamous "War Bonnet" match with Hulk Hogan.. Just.. fucking hated everything about it. Maybe he only had heat with me lol, idk.