Is WWE going soft on WCW?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

xtremebadass

I have noticed this. Since there is the WCW World Championship and an entire WCW Brand in SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 and WWE is producing a Best of Starrcade DVD, do you think WWE will start producing more WCW products and actually start acknowledging WCW altogether?

I think so because they drained what they could out of ECW with all the DVD's and a whole 1 hour show. They figure they can't make any more money off ECW, so they move on to WCW.

What do you think?

CT Styles

Yeah, I mean, it's not like TNA where they don't ever mention it. They would acknowledge it but it doesn't really come up in context. I'd love WCW to be recognized. I have a dream of it being around again. So both promotions would have to try.

Kaedon

Reaction score
nah, WCW and the NWA are the backbone of the wrestling industry, they are getting their due AND the WWE is doing what they do best, making money.

The Rated R CMStar

It only makes sense. WCW has a lot of history that can be exploited, either on merchandise and DVDs, so it's only fitting for WWE to exploit it.

xtremebadass

Yea but why have they waited so long? They though ECW would draw in more money.

Axis

ECW had a more devoted fanbase. I guarantee that any Best of WCW dvd won't sell as well as the top ECW dvd.

I don't know, man. WCW was obviously more mainstream than ECW, so I'd be interested to see how Vince would go about marketing a "Best of WCW" set. I don't think it would be a bad idea to plug advertisements into slots on more watched stations to try and reach non-wrestling fans. Even if people don't want wrestling now, I would say it is likely that a large percentage watched WCW at one point. You smack Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Sting, and Randy Savage on the cover and I think that would be a solid seller.

The ECW DVD sold a lot right when it came out, but I highly doubt that sales are even worth noting in 2008. WCW, I could see that slowly selling over a longer period of time.

Mr.Enigma

Reaction score
I think they are acknowledging WCW more because well honestly, WWE is running out of thoughts and creativity so along with their other last ditch efforts, WCW now has more of a value where initially it did not...even with their World Title.

Yeah, like CMS said, WCW has more to be exploited, but it also has imo began to show the lack thereof in WWE as a result of that very fact.

RDH1

Reaction score
WWE probably figures they've already beaten a dead horse enough with the ECW stuff and the time is right to move ahead with the WCW material after all didn'tthey Acknowledge WCCW and the AWA who Cen'as t-shirt is a rip off of in order to make a buck?

MikeRaw

I wouldn't say they are gong "soft" on them, because they never completely ignored them, or completely rejected them. There have been many wcw references and small things like that over the years, and many wrestler biography dvds have includeded stories from wcw.
So I don't see it as going soft on them, because they weren't "hard" on them before. I see it more as them still feeling the same was towards wcw as they always have, but now just realising there is money to be made by releasing a wcw dvd and merchandise, so obviously, to make money, they're doing it.

ECW had a more devoted fanbase. I guarantee that any Best of WCW dvd won't sell as well as the top ECW dvd.

They had a more devoted fanbase, yes, but it was still a smaller one. Anyone with a brain would agree that ecw fans were much more devoted to the product than wcw fans, but that still doesn't change the amount of fans, and the amount of wcw fans, while not as devoted, still outnumbered ecw fans, so it's pretty obvious the wcw would sell more.

I don't know, man. WCW was obviously more mainstream than ECW, so I'd be interested to see how Vince would go about marketing a "Best of WCW" set. I don't think it would be a bad idea to plug advertisements into slots on more watched stations to try and reach non-wrestling fans. Even if people don't want wrestling now, I would say it is likely that a large percentage watched WCW at one point. You smack Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Sting, and Randy Savage on the cover and I think that would be a solid seller.

The ECW DVD sold a lot right when it came out, but I highly doubt that sales are even worth noting in 2008. WCW, I could see that slowly selling over a longer period of time.

Agree completely.

The Rated R CMStar

I don't think it's a matter of WWE running out of ideas of how to make money and they are recurring to WCW. We are yet to see DVDs from a lot of people, just this year we got one from Edge, and I guarantee we will be seeing another one in the next 7-8 years. In the next 3 years we are destined to have a Randy Orton one.

They can release a full Evolution DVD, depicturing the full life of the Stable.

However, it doesn't hurt to know that you can release a, let's see, a Vader DVD for his WCW run, or a Great American Bash anthology, or a DVD about the NWO, whenever they want.

WarMachine

Reaction score
Yeah I think they (WWE) will be putting out quite abit more WCW DVD's over the next years because like alot of other people have already said they pretty much already ran ECW dry so it's time for some new draw.

Airfixx

Bring it on....

*Best Of Starcade
*The definitive NWO story
*Best of Vader
*Best of Steamboat
*History of the tag titles - Steiners, Road Warriors, Doom, Harlem Heat, Tully & Arn, Hollywood Blondes and so on....
*History of the US title (I can't quite imagine them doing one based purely on the lineage of the WCW world title however - WWF/WWE have spent the last 25 years trying to convince us that THEIR belt was THE title... Their winning the Monday Night Wars supports the kayfaybe of this claim... Such a DVD would just leave too many questions in the viewers' minds for Vince's liking.)
*Surely there must have been SOME solid PPVs worth reissuing in full too?

C4

WCW drew better in its dying days than ECW did at its peak. WWE can still make lots of money with nWo: The complete story DVD and such. WWE accomplished one feat that seemed impossible, they brought back some ECW originals, released DVD's related to the original ECW stars and made money out of both, the DVD's and the old superstars merchandise.

If they can make money using the name of ECW and it's 'original' superstars so they can make even bigger money using the name of WCW because in my opinion, the WCW brand has the potential for big money. Just think about it guys, WCW could be a tremendous moneymaker for WWE, all they have to do is bring it back and merchandise, and as Kaedon said, do what they do best, make money out of WCW.

noumenon

I think the reason they waited so long was in their subtle way was to not give WCW credit as a viable competitor. If WWE has immediately starting putting out WCW DVD's...t shirts...ect ect it would have almost been like admitting that yeah...they guys made their fair share of money..they were pretty damn good and we wanna keep it going. By letting it disolve a bit and keeping only fragments of it in the form of renamed and recrafted title belts it seemed to establish..yeah...we won.
I think the reason ECW was more quickly utalized is because it was never really seen as a real threat to WWE. ECW also offered something so much different than either WWE or WCW did that it was really important to bring over some of their audience to WWE. People watched ECW for a reason, it was a completely different product than what WWE or WCW had to offer. But as stated, I think WWE has pretty much milked ECW for what it was worth and pretty much ran the franchise into the ground.