Is TNA struggling?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

C4

Why mention "WWE" in every other segment of yours? That's horrible and why act as if you're on a very bad stage and are about to go bankrupt?

[YT]wsKNNdi3bsY[/YT]

This has to be the most horrible segment of TNA, all they are doing is breaking too much actual kayfabe and going into worse kayfabe revealing the business but in kayfabe. "I carried your company and you did not" "I had a fat pay check with Vince McMahon" "I brought you from another company because I wanted ratings and im the owner of this company"

Seriously, there isn't need of doing such horrible segements. With guys like Samoa Joe, Sting, Jeff Jarrett, Kurt Angle, AJ Styles and my favourite... MICK FOLEY nothing can go wrong. They need to concentrate on being original and need to drop the "I brought you from WWE, I am the owner you are my worker" shit.

Why aren't they just being themselves? Mick Foley came to TNA and in his segment with Kurt Angle, I saw nothing but soft complaining of WWE. He said Edge, The Undertaker, Triple H, Shawn Michaels.... named so many of the WWE superstars. I thought the names were not allowed to be mentioned on TNA broadcast. Well at least that's what VKM said when I used to watch TNA.

Mick Foley brought me to TNA, nothing else. And it feels so bad when they made Mick Foley look so weak. Another segment featuring over 10 minutes of WWE complaining... :disgust1:

Tsaalyo Phoenix

Reaction score
Why not give a history lesson? Everyone who watches TNA already knows about WWE, so it's not like they're losing fans to the competition. As for Jeff Jarrett being the owner of TNA? Um... he is, and everyone knows it. Why pretend otherwise? Why act like wrestlers aren't signed in contracts to wrestle for the promotion and thus get paychecks? You're complaining about... REALITY. It's not like all this stuff doesn't exist IN kayfabe, it does.

Moonlight Drive

It's just TNA trying to make themselves seem bigger by chucking their names next to the juggernaut. They seem like a bigger company by association, since so many of their workers have been cast off by the WWE.

WWE has no need to do this, they have created their stars, they've lived through the Monday Night Wars, they have films, CDs, video games, magazines, DVDs, international tours, 3 TV shows, more talent and drawing ability than any other wrestling promotion in history, pack out arenas week after week and there is no way TNA can coompete with that at the current time.

TNA mentioning WWE constantly is stupid. I don't think I have EVER heard a WWE superstar or personality even mention or imply something about TNA or it's affiliates.

Note: Everybody really only refers to smarks.

Roxxi, everybody knows Triple H is Vince McMahon's son in law. Everybody knows Umaga isn't some samoan psycho. Everybody knows that the GMs do not actually book the show. Do WWE mention that every show? It's just part of the product of pro wrestling, it's like when Vince called Undertaker his real name. It's obvious Undertaker isn't his birth name and everybody knows that, but why mention it?

If people followed the mentality you mentioned that everybody knows Jarrett is the owner and such, kayfabe woould barely exist and it would eventually ruin the illusion of pro wrestling.

Sabinizer

Reaction score
I seriously do doubt TNA are struggling.

They have some immense talent, and are bringing in high profile names like Mick Foley, so how can they struggle?

TNA are constantly bashing WWE to make themselves look like a bigger promotion than they are, and it works unfortunately.

I agree that TNA need to be their own promotion, and not even try to compete with WWE yet, but focus on making TNA better.

Moonlight Drive

TNA bashing WWE makes them look like a smaller promotion to me, trying to get pops/heat/ratings/whatever off mentioning another company. TNA shouldn't care about any other companys, TNA should be worrying about TNA, it should be the only company you think about when watching Impact.

Bringing in Mick Foley is one of the reasons they're struggling imo. Foley is obivously going to cost them a bit of cash, and his novelty will wear off very quickly and people will not care. When they have a lot of talent, like you said, that could've easily been used in place of Foley, and also put on much better matches than he can at his age. There are so many more important things TNA should be doing to improve their product.

chickenfart

Reaction score
Why not give a history lesson? Everyone who watches TNA already knows about WWE, so it's not like they're losing fans to the competition. As for Jeff Jarrett being the owner of TNA? Um... he is, and everyone knows it. Why pretend otherwise? Why act like wrestlers aren't signed in contracts to wrestle for the promotion and thus get paychecks? You're complaining about... REALITY. It's not like all this stuff doesn't exist IN kayfabe, it does.

exactly

Kaedon

Reaction score
I wouldnt say struggling, but their ratings are stagnating, as are the WWEs.

Tsaalyo Phoenix

Reaction score
Roxxi, everybody knows Triple H is Vince McMahon's son in law. Everybody knows Umaga isn't some samoan psycho. Everybody knows that the GMs do not actually book the show. Do WWE mention that every show? It's just part of the product of pro wrestling, it's like when Vince called Undertaker his real name. It's obvious Undertaker isn't his birth name and everybody knows that, but why mention it?

If people followed the mentality you mentioned that everybody knows Jarrett is the owner and such, kayfabe woould barely exist and it would eventually ruin the illusion of pro wrestling.
But they do make a point of mentioning contracts and paychecks whenever it's applicable. They do treat the owner of the company as the owner of the company. It's not like TNA said that Black Reign didn't have a split personality, or Judas Mesias wasn't a vampire or whatever they were trying to make him seem to be, or that Kurt Angle really never lost his gold medal to AJ, or Roxxi doesn't know anything about voodoo and is actually a linguistic goddess, or the glass table was just sugarglass, etc. TNA knows where to draw the line when it comes to breaking kayfabe for dramatic effect (a la Triple H's "marry the daughter to get ahead? genius!" and "this is a promo" promos), and as far as i'm concerned, they've yet to break it in any way that matters. Contracts, wrestling promotions, paychecks, and company founders all exist in kayfabe.

The Rated R CMStar

I have no problem with them breaking kayfabe. In fact, for them to do the Jarret vs Kurt Angle feud the way they want, they have to, and in fact, the promo was in fact really good.

You know what was bad, and what has been bad with all the promos in this feud:

1) The pathetic it sounds that when they say about the young talent that has carried TNA, they are only able to say: AJ and Joe.

2) Mick Foley mentioning all the WWE superstar names. It's one thing to break kayfabe, and to even mention the competition, but to say the name of all the other company's main eventers?

3) Jarret/Angle feud being based on the fact that Kurt doesn't hate anymore Vince Mcmahon and said so to a newspaper.

4) Foley crying about Vince yelling at him on the headset.

C4

Bringing in Mick Foley is one of the reasons they're struggling imo. Foley is obivously going to cost them a bit of cash, and his novelty will wear off very quickly and people will not care. When they have a lot of talent, like you said, that could've easily been used in place of Foley, and also put on much better matches than he can at his age. There are so many more important things TNA should be doing to improve their product.

No, they aren't struggling because they have Mick Foley in there. Mick can still be one great superstar inside the ring. If he is used in the proper manner on Television, Mick Foley will turn out to be better than anyone else on the roster.

I have no problem with them breaking kayfabe. In fact, for them to do the Jarret vs Kurt Angle feud the way they want, they have to, and in fact, the promo was in fact really good.

You know what was bad, and what has been bad with all the promos in this feud:

1) The pathetic it sounds that when they say about the young talent that has carried TNA, they are only able to say: AJ and Joe.

2) Mick Foley mentioning all the WWE superstar names. It's one thing to break kayfabe, and to even mention the competition, but to say the name of all the other company's main eventers?

3) Jarret/Angle feud being based on the fact that Kurt doesn't hate anymore Vince Mcmahon and said so to a newspaper.

4) Foley crying about Vince yelling at him on the headset.

100% agreed over here :thumbsup:

chessarmy

no no no no.

This is what I don't understand. When Mick Foley first showed up on iMPACT! some of you started bitching about how Mick just "showed up" with no explanation at all. This week on iMPACT! they actually tried to explain WHY Foley came to TNA, and you still have a problem with it? So what if he mentioned the WWE? Is that going to kill them? We all know most of the TNA audience watches WWE anyway, so why is it such a big problem? This past Thursday, Mick was just explaining why he came to TNA. And about him "crying" about Vince yelling at him...he mentioned that about...hmm let me think....ONCE

And as for TNA breaking Kayfabe and WWE not doing so, please explain to me what Vince called Triple H after that money sign fell on him, and the promo that Triple H cut on Smackdown! where he explain the sequence of events for a pro wrestling angle, explaining that he was cutting a "promo". Please explain the fact that Triple H and Stephanie Mcmahon are supposed to be divorced, but they are always teased as still married on TV. That isn't breaking kayfabe?

C4

And as for TNA breaking Kayfabe and WWE not doing so, please explain to me what Vince called Triple H after that money sign fell on him, and the promo that Triple H cut on Smackdown! where he explain the sequence of events for a pro wrestling angle, explaining that he was cutting a "promo". Please explain the fact that Triple H and Stephanie Mcmahon are supposed to be divorced, but they are always teased as still married on TV. That isn't breaking kayfabe?

WWE does that very rarely on Television. TNA does it every other week. The difference is clear right? And breaking kayfabe too often doesn't hurt TNA but it hurts the business as a whole:

If people followed the mentality you mentioned that everybody knows Jarrett is the owner and such, kayfabe would barely exist and it would eventually ruin the illusion of pro wrestling.

Thanks to -HBK- for being smart enough to realize that.

chessarmy

^ What exactly is breaking kayfabe here? Not insulting the intelligence of the fans? There is a difference between revealing Jeff Jarrett as the owner of TNA, and revealing Undertaker, Black Reign, and Abyss as just being characters. So when I say what I am about to say, don't give me the "well we all know Undertaker isn't actually a deadman but they don't reveal it!".

Everyone, literally everyone, already knows Jeff Jarrett owns TNA. So instead of insulting the intelligence of your fans, why not just say it on TV? How is it hurting the business? There are PLENTY of other things going on in TNA that are still in kayfabe, like Abyss going to the mental hospital for all those months, Awesome Kong being a crazy monster, Curry Man being a completely new wrestler to TNA who came from Japan (they could have easily broke kayfabe and revealed him as Daniels in a mask). Not to mention, the breaking a little kayfabe in the Jeff Jarrett/Kurt Angle feud only makes it better. It makes the feud seem more personal, and it will eventually lead to more buys for TNA Bound For Glory. Since TNA used real life events as the base of the feud, people will start to think that Jarrett and Angle really do hate each other, so they will order the PPV to see them beat the shit out of each other

Moonlight Drive

I don't see how breaking kayfabe can make it better. They can 'break kayfabe' so to speak without actually breaking it, just make it a worked shoot. Jericho/Michaels is a prime example right now. Y2J punching Rebecca Michaels square in the mouth. Did that break kayfabe? No. Would it have appeared to be a shoot to your average wrestling mark? Yes. Did it automatically make the feud intensify? Yes.

I think we are all forgotting that smarks aren't the only wrestling fans. There are plenty of fans who think it's not a work (well young'ins) and even those that do know it's a shoot, the line between reality and wrestling is blurred. I remember when I first started watching, I knew it was fake, but some stuff still appeared as real to me since I didn't go on the net and look at wrestling news and whatnot. (eg. I thought the Comissioner/GM actually booked the show in the beginning)

We cannot say 'everybody' to encompass every wrestling fan. I'm sure not everybody knows Jarrett is the owner, the smarks know of course, but there are plenty of fans that don't.

No, they aren't struggling because they have Mick Foley in there. Mick can still be one great superstar inside the ring. If he is used in the proper manner on Television, Mick Foley will turn out to be better than anyone else on the roster.
I highly doubt Mick can still go in the ring. After a career like his, I'm surprised he isn't in constant pain. Not to mention he is getting pretty old now, and hasn't wrestled in almost 18 months. Mick will more or less probably become just another Sting, because there is no way he can wrestle on a weekly basis.