Is Punk ready?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Ok I'm not sure why I'm even making this thread. I know how much Punk is loved out there in the IWC, but I gotta ask because I can't understand this...

Is Punk really ready to be facing the Undertaker? I mean he hasn't received a huge push up to the ME scene. I'm really looking for, but not expecting, an unbias opinion here. I haven't liked Punk ever really, and my disliking for him only grew when he won MiTB a second time.

I want to know if you think he's ready for the Undertaker, in a submission match. Logically, there's no way he can beat him, unless they have several interferences. His wins over Hardy (and a loss, as well) haven't catapulted him into the league of the Undertaker, and I just think this is a one-sided fued.

What are all your thoughts on this...

noumenon

I think they're doing the right thing here. I'm tired of seeing people built up so painfully slow. Punk has been doing an incredible job with the position given to him. Why not throw him into the deep end and give him a high profile feud.
His first title reign was garbage and he was simply jobbed out to Batista continually.
True, he's not on the level of the Undertaker (especially a Taker who's last match was an epic victory over HBK)...but Punk is a heel after all. I'm sure this match won't have anywhere near a clean finish.
I look at it this way... it's a win/win situation for Punk. He gets a feud with the Undertaker and I'm sure however the finish goes down he'll receive a hell of a lot more heat than he's already getting. I don't see Taker coming out of this feud with the WHC, this seems to be more of a vessel for further getting Punk over.

★Chuck Zombie★

Reaction score
I'll have to agree with Noumenon. I know it's hard to believe my opinion since I'm a huge Punk fan, but in a 100% serious attempt at not being biased, this is how they should push him. Everyone in the ME has their breakthrough feud where they are seen as a main eventer and not just a mid-carder going for the title. Punk got halfway there with Hardy, and sure Taker is way out of Punk's league, but that's the point....to put Punk closer to it.

Reaction score
I understand what you guys are saying. I just can't comprehend ... or see how Punk will stand against Taker. I get they need that big fued to push them up, but it seems to me that they've rushed this waaay too quickly.

Punk needs another smaller fued before the Undertaker, someone like a Chris Jericho (a face, though). Punk didn't get enough of a rub off Hardy to play with Taker. That's me trying to be unbiased, considering I'm a strong disliker of Punk.

noumenon

See that's the problem though. We're not dealing with mega personalities with guys like Stone Cold, The Rock, HHH...ect., guys who could stay over on their look or mic skills alone.. a slow push to the top hasn't really proved successful with anyone over the past few years. They usually slide back down the card a hell of a lot faster than they got there. WWE needs new main event talent badly right now and I think explosive pushes to the top are the best way to do it right now.

CenaMark54

Punk needed a feud with someone like Shawn Michaels before stepping foot in the ring with Taker.

I still see Punk as a midcarder compared to Taker. We will see how it goes. I'd expect a bunch of dirty finishes to their series of matches.

Axis

So we have heard that Punk should first feud with Shawn Michaels or a face Chris Jericho. Well, neither of those are a reality. Chris Jericho is a great heel commodity currently, and Shawn Michaels of course is over on Raw. Realistically speaking, the Undertaker is the only viable option.

Matt Hardy is not ready to be in a main event feud; maybe if he had avoided getting injured, he would be more over as a heel. But this fat piece of shit Hardy is not ready for a title feud as a (out-of-nowhere) face.

They are obviously looking to give John Morrison a slower build, so a Punk/Morrison feud for the title would majorly be jumping the gun.

The Undertaker is the only option, and it has been entertaining thus far.

noumenon

How is he ready for a feud with HBK...but not Undertaker? Simply because Taker beat HBK at Mania? You know had it not been Mania Michaels could have just as easily gone over Undertaker.

Reaction score
I think Punk is ready for the ME. I'd rather not see another Edge transitional championship run. Fresh blood in the ME stat!

noumenon

His smart ass smug asshole shtick is honestly putting just about every other heel in the business to shame right now. If anyone deserves to be holding a title and in the main event right now it's Punk.

Batistafan333

Reaction score
I can't stand Punk. I think his fued with Taker has been entertaining so far. I hope Taker beats him at Breaking Point and takes the World Title from him. I just can't Punk's hollier (sp?) than thou crap that he dishes out every week on SmackDown. I hope Taker chokeslams that smirk right off Punk's face.

EnterTamed

Reaction score
"I just can't Punk's hollier (sp?) than thou crap that he dishes out every week on SmackDown. "
as chris jericho would say, this hypocrite just cant accept that someone is better than him

Batistafan333

Reaction score
"I just can't Punk's hollier (sp?) than thou crap that he dishes out every week on SmackDown. "
as chris jericho would say, this hypocrite just cant accept that someone is better than him

Are you calling me a hypocrite? I really don't appreciate that at all. A person is allowed to have their own opinion without someone saying crap about them.

noumenon

It's HOLIER*

And the fact that you feel that way just shows that he's doing a great job as a heel.

And @Entertamed... there was nothing hypocritical about what he said. Check a dictionary before you try to insult people.

Problem solved... back on topic.

CenaMark54

How is he ready for a feud with HBK...but not Undertaker? Simply because Taker beat HBK at Mania? You know had it not been Mania Michaels could have just as easily gone over Undertaker.

Compare the booking of HBK and Taker over the last five years. It has nothing to do with Mania. Taker has continued to be booked as an unstoppable main event face. While Shawn has either been booked as a midcarder/occasional main eventer who comes close to winning the big one or as second fiddle to HHH in the periodic rehashing of DX.

Taker has always been the top guy on SD, he is the measuring stick for every other main eventer, whereas HBK has been the guy people go through to get the top.

Simply put, Taker has been booked stronger than HBK.