Is Laurianitis' time as Interim Raw General Manager coming to an end?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Aniking

Reaction score
Now most of the posts I have seen regarding Laurianitis' performance on Raw a few nights ago have said something along the lines of the Laurianitis character being furthered the most it has been thus far, which is one hundred percent true. My thoughts are that what happened on Raw could possibly spell the end of the man as Interim Raw General Manager. Not necessarily as an on-screen character, just as the man in charge of Raw. Bare with me.

The promo that Laurianitis cut at the end of the show was easily the best promo he has cut since he first graced our TV screens, a promo that was full of anger and was clearly provoked by CM Punk and anybody else that has disrespected him... but mainly Punk. It went on to involve Foley, who managed to get Laurianitis to admit that he will screw Punk out of his WWE Championship at the Royal Rumble.

Whenever Laurianitis speaks, he always begins with "My name is John Laurianitis and I am the Executive Vice President of Talent Relations and the INTERIM General Manager of Monday Night Raw". When Laurianitis began this promo, he added "and soon to be permanent" Raw General Manager. This is the first hint (that I can recall) that has been dropped regarding a permanent Raw General Manager. Even Teddy Long took over at one point and made a match, something he has NEVER done since the Raw Supershow was created. Not only that, but Laurianitis fucked up and didn't tell Zack Ryder he wasn't medically cleared to compete, in turn causing Ryder to lose his United States Championship. Big mistake by Big Johnny there.

But my thinking is that the WWE are planting the seeds for Laurianitis being relieved of his duties either on next week's Raw, at the Royal Rumble, or maybe even the following night depending on how it's booked. Why do I think that? Well it's quite simple. Laurianitis openly admitted that he has the intention to screw CM Punk out of the WWE Championship, and this is the man in charge of Raw saying this to every person watching around the world. Will the WWE really let this happen? The answer is no. Laurianitis simply won't cave in to pressure and call the match down the middle, and to me his promo, combined with attacking Mick Foley, is spelling the end of Laurianitis' time in charge. We haven't seen Triple H ever since he beat Kevin Nash, and remember Triple H is still the COO of the WWE. Some of you may think he's not after being relieved of his duties, but there was a Raw Supershow sometime before his match against Kevin Nash where Triple H threatened Laurianitis and proceeded to say that he is the COO and that Laurianitis answers to him.

So to conclude my point, I can see Triple H coming out on Raw, at the Royal Rumble or on the first Raw after the pay-per-view and relieving Laurianitis of his duties, a decision the Board of Directors has made and passed on to Triple H for him to announce. Remember, this is what Laurianitis did to Triple H to get the job in the first place. Depending on when/if this occurs, CM Punk may be involved in an unbiased WWE Championship match, where he will retain his WWE Championship.

The feud between the two men likely won't end there, but the playing ground will now be "even" as Laurianitis cannot abuse his power. He may be the Executive Vice President of Talent Relations, but he has no power in regards to what happens on Raw. As for who WILL be in charge, maybe involving Mick Foley in this was to plant the seed for him taking over? After all, I can't see Triple H returning to the job due to the entire WWE roster walking out on him, and really I can't think of anybody else other than Mick Foley or Stephanie McMahon. Foley seems logical, but Vince McMahon doesn't like him or thinks he's a joke or whatever, whereas you can never rule out Stephanie McMahon returning for a short period of time.

Either way, I think Laurianitis' time in charge is nearly over. If this all occurs, I'd imagine Laurianitis won't be too pleased and will use David Otunga to file some sort of lawsuit against the WWE. Who knows considering Otunga always seems to be right there alongside him.

Anyway, what do you all think about this? Am I on to something or is this just absolutely ludicrous?

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
I love your theory and everything you've said makes so much sense. When Foley returned I had always had it in my mind that he should be the General Manager and it makes sense if he is really.

With your suggestion of Otunga there as well, I did overhear on a few websites which I won't believe until true but they did say Johnny Ace and CM Punk would be in some sort of feud so I could see this working out some how with Mick Foley being GM.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I agree with your theory and mentioned (more briefly) something similar in the Live Chat. While I think that he's getting better I'd rather have him as some secondary guy to someone else (not Vince)

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Don't forget also, there's a petition online to get Dennis Haskins (Mr Belding from Saved By The Bell) to be the new Raw GM. I believe it has over 30,000 signatures, so he could be another possibility for the Raw GM position.

I believe Laurinitis' times as Interim GM is almost done and I would expect him to stay around on-screen.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I dont see a better option, Ace is Vince-lite, over as a heel, and plays the role very well.

Foley is irrelevant now, his last few TV appearances have been embarassing.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
They have yet to say he is the GM for good and last Raw was the first time he outright said he is gonna be the soon to be GM for good and they interestingly enough bring Foley back to interact with him the way they did. I always thought Foley was gonna be the replacement and this just helps me think it even more.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I still think there's potentially lots more to come to this Johnny / Punk angle but they just don't want to give anything significant away yet until Dolph has had his WWE Title shot and Jericho moves into the title picture. I'm gonna post what I put in my fantasy Jericho booking as I believe it could happen and also ties into this subject.

The she is revealed to be Stephanie McMahon and she goes over how Punk essentially caused Vince to lose control of his company and insulted the McMahon family and that she gave Lauranitis specific instructions to get the belt off of Punk but he failed in doing so. She also notes that her husband HHH could not silence Punk despite beating him in their showdown at SummerSlam? so she instead turned to someone who she knew had just as much of an issue with Punk as she did and that was an old allie, Jericho. She could also remove Lauranitis from his position and take over herself with him as her assistant.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
as much as i like that idea, i think these past few week Lauranitis has been pretty great and has shown hes too big of a character to play a assistant.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Well he doesn't have to be officially turned into an assistant but basically be turned into Steph's puppet.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Johnny being relieved of his duties is only a matter of time, we can all agree on that. I doubt it will happen until after the Rumble though, but who knows.

I get the feeling that WWE are booking Punk as a guy who is outsmarting Lauranitis by doing the same thing he did to Triple H: Taunting him, irritating him and goading him into making mistakes and making things personal. Hell, he was pretty much daring John to screw him over.

I posted this in another thread as well, but I also love how Lauranitis now has some real depth. Part of his biased decision making comes from greed and abuse of the power he has never had before, but moreso out of his jealousy and bitterness. Johnny didn't succeed as a wrestler in his day and now he sees guys he doesn't like or understand like Punk and Ryder getting over and it kills him, so he punishes them passive-aggressively by stacking the deck against them regularly. On the other hand, he rewards those who don't defy the status quo, suck up to Johnny and cater to his ego, much in the same way he would suck up to his own superiors (kayfabe of course).

As for Otunga filing a lawsuit for Lauranitis, I don't see that happening. Otunga isn't actually loyal to Lauranitis nor does he probably even like him, just like the other heels. Once Johnny is out of power, all those by his side will split, there would be no benefit to sticking with someone with as little to offer as Lauranitis. And I think thats the whole point. With all of these heels suddenly sucking up to Lauranitis in a way he's never seen before, he now has this misplaced notion of "respect", and that it should be automatic rather than earned. "All of these guys are suddenly showing me respect after I became the Interim GM, so why isn't Punk?"

As for who the next GM will be... Foley would be nice, but I get the feeling that he's just there to tease us. I don't rule him out, but he just seems like the "obvious" choice if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
I said as soon as Johnny was named the guest referee that he term was coming to an end and we would have a new GM after the Rumble. Your ideas make a lot of sense and I expect something to happen this week as a tease.

BadBooking

Reaction score
If kayfabe is alive and well, than Johnny Ace would have been fired as GM for striking talent without being provoked (that of Foley). That being said, I don't think anyone in WWE knows what the "Cornette Law" is, so Ace will be GM for quite a while.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
Ahh but did anyone actually say that Foley was hired by the wwe though.

I see big Johnny sticking around there's no reason for him not too but he needs to get more of those promos in I loved it.

Reaction score
I'm getting tired of this interm GM crap. I didn't like the mystery Raw GM either. Just have one guy to be GM full time. Teddy Long has been on Smackdown for years and he is doing a good job.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I know I'm still a little urked the Anonymous GM was never revealed.