Is it time for an X-Division on RAW?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Brad.

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
It would be too embarrassing for Vince because their WWEWHC would qualify for this division.

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
TNA's X-division was always at it's best when it was about "no limits" to quote Jerry Lynn, no weight limit, no size limit, no limit to what could be done.

Unless I'm missing something, it just sounds like any other championship to me if literally anyone of any weight, size or height can win it. The appeal of a Cruiserweight division/championship is supposed to be that it's a title that only smaller wrestlers can win, and because of the agility and speed that smaller wrestlers possess, it's a division that can be guaranteed to deliver quick-paced and high-flying action in every single match.

I might not mind the resurrection of a crusierweight division or title if it was a big enough division that they handled right. The problem is, they wouldn't handle it right. They buried the fuck out of the Cruiserweight Championship back in the day by putting it on a woman (Jacquelyn), a senior citizen (Chavo Guerrero Sr.), and a midget (Hornswoggle) at various points before vanquishing it, and they would likely do the same this time around. Not only does Vince not seem to care for the cruiserweight division, but if memory recalls, neither does Triple H.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Unless I'm missing something, it just sounds like any other championship to me if literally anyone of any weight, size or height can win it. The appeal of a Cruiserweight division/championship is supposed to be that it's a title that only smaller wrestlers can win, and because of the agility and speed that smaller wrestlers possess, it's a division that can be guaranteed to deliver quick-paced and high-flying action in every single match.

I might not mind the resurrection of a crusierweight division or title if it was a big enough division that they handled right. The problem is, they wouldn't handle it right. They buried the fuck out of the Cruiserweight Championship back in the day by putting it on a woman (Jacquelyn), a senior citizen (Chavo Guerrero Sr.), and a midget (Hornswoggle) at various points before vanquishing it, and they would likely do the same this time around. Not only does Vince not seem to care for the cruiserweight division, but if memory recalls, neither does Triple H.
And the X-division (which is being discussed here), was never a cruiserweight division. It was a division with no limits, were matches and wrestlers were supposed to push the limits of what is possible and doable in wrestling. Break new ground and set new standards.

Samoa Joe is arguably the greatest x-division champ of all time, yet that dude is far from a cruiser weight.

People who claim the x-division was just a cruiser weight division don't know X-division

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
It really comes down to how you define "cruiserweight".

Most people define it by weight, but what TNA did with the X-Division was to define it by style of wrestling. By that same token, the Cruiserweight Division in WWE at its height had guys like Jeff and Matt Hardy wrestling in it. Obviously these guys are not "cruiserweight" in size, but the high-flying manner in which they performed (more Jeff than Matt, obviously)marked them as "cruiserweights" in terms of style.

If WWE brought in an "X-Division", they would doubtlessly again be called "Cruiserweights" and while most of the guys in the division would be the size of Sin Cara, Primo, and Epico, there would definitely be room in it for guys the size of Kofi Kingston, RVD, etc., who wrestle in the "cruiserweight" style.

wk

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
They could come up with some wacky name for it other than Cruiserweight and X-Division, I guess. Fun speculation :hmm:

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
And the X-division (which is being discussed here), was never a cruiserweight division. It was a division with no limits, were matches and wrestlers were supposed to push the limits of what is possible and doable in wrestling. Break new ground and set new standards.

Samoa Joe is arguably the greatest x-division champ of all time, yet that dude is far from a cruiser weight.

People who claim the x-division was just a cruiser weight division don't know X-division
Isn't Joe like the only dude who wasn't a cruiserweight though? Everyone else I remember competing in the division fit the mold of a typical cruiserweight. Well, Angle was involved in the division for a bit when feuding with Joe. But who else?

Reactions: Crayo

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score

Shows what sort of a mark I am, i was sure it was just a cruiserweight division, reading that makes me think it was a mix of cruiserweight and hardcore, both titles I loved back in the day, especially with the 24 hour defence that had some funny segments.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Isn't Joe like the only dude who wasn't a cruiserweight though? Everyone else I remember competing in the division fit the mold of a typical cruiserweight. Well, Angle was involved in the division for a bit when feuding with Joe. But who else?
Yeah Joe was the only man bigger than a cruiser weight back then. But there was still no set size or weight limit. It just happened to be that most of the guys who performed the way they needed for the X-division were that size.

I am still against setting a weight or size limit on the division since it would hamper the guys competing in it once they outgrow it. Plus limit who can compete in it.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Abyss held it.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Yeah Joe was the only man bigger than a cruiser weight back then. But there was still no set size or weight limit. It just happened to be that most of the guys who performed the way they needed for the X-division were that size.

I am still against setting a weight or size limit on the division since it would hamper the guys competing in it once they outgrow it. Plus limit who can compete in it.
So you make a post about how no one knows the x-division if they compare it to the cruiserweight division, but then go on to say that 99% of the wrestlers wrestling in it were cruiserweights. It's pretty easy and accurate to compare that division to a cruiserweight division.

I haven't spoke about adding a weight limit either. I think it's better without one so you can now and again get some of the bigger guys and bigger names dropping down into that division. I still think the majority of the wrestlers in it should be far smaller though -- like the x-division now.

Stopspot

Reaction score
So you make a post about how no one knows the x-division if they compare it to the cruiserweight division, but then go on to say that 99% of the wrestlers wrestling in it were cruiserweights. It's pretty easy and accurate to compare that division to a cruiserweight division.

I haven't spoke about adding a weight limit either. I think it's better without one so you can now and again get some of the bigger guys and bigger names dropping down into that division. I still think the majority of the wrestlers in it should be far smaller though -- like the x-division now.
But it never was a pure cruiser weight division. Which is what I am getting at. Majority of the talent competing in it were, but the division itself has never been about purely cruiser weights. The slogan of the division is "It's not about weight limits, it's about no limits!" Which should speak for itself.

I have no problem with them using their high flyers for a division like this. But they should not limit it to "small flyers", they have bigger guys on the roster who'd make good fits for this type of division like Rollins, Slater and Gabriel, who are all too tall to be considered cruisers.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Who has said it should just be for high-flyers? I know you're comparing it to a traditional cruiserweight division, but clearly from the title of this thread I was suggesting a division like the x-division, lol.

For the record, I agree, those types of wrestlers need to be in it for their graded exposure.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Who has said it should just be for high-flyers? I know you're comparing it to a traditional cruiserweight division, but clearly from the title of this thread I was suggesting a division like the x-division, lol.

For the record, I agree, those types of wrestlers need to be in it for their graded exposure.
I think Lockard and I's discussion on cruiservweight vs X-division just got out of hand. Since he was pro a weight limit since "only certain guys" could compete for it.

I'm all for a division that pushes the athletic boundaries and allows for a faster pace.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
I'm down for a division where most of the wrestlers are smaller -- to create the electric fast matches -- but can have some larger wrestlers in it. For the record, I consider the likes of Kidd, Gabriel, and those lot, as smaller wrestlers. I'm not down for large wrestlers continually entering it though. If I see Kane in a cruiserweight match then I'll flip my shit.

Stopspot

Reaction score
I'm down for a division where most of the wrestlers are smaller -- to create the electric fast matches -- but can have some larger wrestlers in it. For the record, I consider the likes of Kidd, Gabriel, and those lot, as smaller wrestlers. I'm not down for large wrestlers continually entering it though. If I see Kane in a cruiserweight match then I'll flip my shit.
Anyone below 6ft is traditionally a cruiser if I am not mistaken, but if they put on mass can be considered a light heavy instead. So Kidd is a cruiser but Gabriel being 6ft1 is traditionally more of a light heavy (apples and oranges depending on how you look at it).

I wanna see Harper in it, because the dude can fucking fly/go.