Is is an unpopular opinion to think the Attitude Era was slightly overrated and has the biggest...?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
The attitude era was great cuz it was edgy and different than anything on TV. It was perfect for the times. Plus u had The Rock and Stone Cold break out as stars who are 2 of the greatest entertainers ever.

The thing that the attitude era did best was have storylines all up and down the card. Everybody from the lower card to the main event had a real storyline going on that was fun exciting television, and thas why it was great.

The ruthless aggression era is my personal favorite. I was only 6 when I started watching in 1998 so I was 8 or 9 by the time the Attitude Era was over. It made me a huge wrestling fan though. By the time I was 10-11 is when the Ruthless Aggreasing Era started and that's the era I look most fondly back at as a kid

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
The attitude era was great cuz it was edgy and different than anything on TV. It was perfect for the times. Plus u had The Rock and Stone Cold break out as stars who are 2 of the greatest entertainers ever.

The thing that the attitude era did best was have storylines all up and down the card. Everybody from the lower card to the main event had a real storyline going on that was fun exciting television, and thas why it was great.

The ruthless aggression era is my personal favorite. I was only 6 when I started watching in 1998 so I was 8 or 9 by the time the Attitude Era was over. It made me a huge wrestling fan though. By the time I was 10-11 is when the Ruthless Aggreasing Era started and that's the era I look most fondly back at as a kid

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
The AE had multiple parts. It started amazing but as it became self aware it was like a spoof of itself.

But at any point it was still entertaining because of the characters.

Reactions: Thou Confidential

The Phenom

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
1m1d5Ur
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Undertaker is not that organic he got a big push as soon as he arrived in the WWE. Shawn and Bret got over the hard way before they got their push, Austin also got himself over. Rock got a huge push out the gate (it failed) and The Rock is one of a few home grown stars that WWF developed most were repackaged from other promotions up to 2020 or so and the rise of Cena.

The phenom becomes the legend happened latter on, if you watched in the early to mid 90's taker was the monster heel thing, became a babyface but was never reallt "the guy".

He only had 1 title reign in 7 years IIRC and the streak while great from the fans PoV doesn't mean much when its predetermined. And Mark is reclusive he doesn't do the media thing "the guy" does. I'm not debating that the Undertaker sucks (he has had a lot of great matches) and he is one of the best workers WWE has ever had as he has put over a lot of wrestlers and by most accounts is great in the ring and has not been a big asshole backstage. He is one of the best wrestlers ever but there are better technical works and people better on the mic or working the crowd.

Yeah sure Cena is over used and he has been babyface for a decade, so was Hogan and towards the end it was boring. But Hogan was "the guy" for 9 years or so and became "the guy" again in WCW (along with Hall and Nash). You can have more than 1 guy but its rare and one of them often outshines the other slightly. Even when he was boring and over used you could still build a promotion around Hogan.

Had Mark gone elsewhere he could not be the Undertaker.

True...... he would not have been able to be The Undertaker but a superstar of his status and talents I'm sure he would have found a new gimmick. (Maybe The Phenom;)) I'm not surprised he got a big push right out the gate he was and still is a larger then life character. Yes, I wouldn't go as far to say that he was the best wrestler (In Ring ability) But a man of his size doing some of the things he does is truly amazing and that makes him a true ring technician in his own right. Your looking at title reigns and who was the biggest draw for the company from 1996-2000....I'm looking at Overall presence in the company and the fact that he has been drawing $$$ for WWE for 30 years....Something only Hogan can hold a glass to (From the list of "THE GUYS") But hey Tomato Tomatoe right....His character alone influenced a brand new wrestler in Kane, arguably the best storyline ever and, 2 Gimmick matches that were part of the reason The attitude Era was so great in the first place (Inferno and Buried alive matches) He made the HIAC FAMOUS along with many others the list goes on.....He won every match at WrestleMania up until THE BEAST INCARNATE
:blackshock:(Which left me like this I might add LOL)......But my point I don't think Vince would let that be the case a 21-0 win/lose record at the GRANDEST STAGE OF EM ALL if he didn't consider him a "GUY" of the company.....As a matter of fact He is the Reason Brock is this unbeatable monster (Taker did that;))

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
True...... he would not have been able to be The Undertaker but a superstar of his status and talents I'm sure he would have found a new gimmick. (Maybe The Phenom;)) I'm not surprised he got a big push right out the gate he was and still is a larger then life character. Yes, I wouldn't go as far to say that he was the best wrestler (In Ring ability) But a man of his size doing some of the things he does is truly amazing and that makes him a true ring technician in his own right. Your looking at title reigns and who was the biggest draw for the company from 1996-2000....I'm looking at Overall presence in the company and the fact that he has been drawing $$$ for WWE for 30 years....Something only Hogan can hold a glass to (From the list of "THE GUYS") But hey Tomato Tomatoe right....His character alone influenced a brand new wrestler in Kane, arguably the best storyline ever and, 2 Gimmick matches that were part of the reason The attitude Era was so great in the first place (Inferno and Buried alive matches) He made the HIAC FAMOUS along with many others the list goes on.....He won every match at WrestleMania up until THE BEAST INCARNATE
:blackshock:(Which left me like this I might add LOL)......But my point I don't think Vince would let that be the case a 21-0 win/lose record at the GRANDEST STAGE OF EM ALL if he didn't consider him a "GUY" of the company.....As a matter of fact He is the Reason Brock is this unbeatable monster (Taker did that;))

Do you know about the behind the scenes antincs in the 90's? Taker was basically Mr Reliable as he was not off his face on drugs and he had his own faction the Bone Street Krew- the BSK tattoo on his stomach. He didn;t screw Vince over, throw tantrums or even hint at leaving for WCW. VInce rewards loyalty.

Reactions: The Phenom

The Phenom

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
1m1d5Ur
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Do you know about the behind the scenes antincs in the 90's? Taker was basically Mr Reliable as he was not off his face on drugs and he had his own faction the Bone Street Krew- the BSK tattoo on his stomach. He didn;t screw Vince over, throw tantrums or even hint at leaving for WCW. VInce rewards loyalty.
No, you just taught me something there never heard of the Bone street Krew...and that's great loyalty should be rewarded!

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
No, you just taught me something there never heard of the Bone street Krew...and that's great loyalty should be rewarded!

Well office politics also comes into it. Taker did not play the behind the scenes game as much as the others but he was Vince enforcers in the locker room in the 90's. He pressured HBK into going over vs Austin in 1998 for example.

Ever wondered why some stars that are over do not get a big push and other wrestlers who are not over get a big push? Its how well you get along with Vince. There are shoot interviews out there from Austin and co covering this. Ahmed Johnson and Mark Merro were Vinces picks for the big push in the mid 90's. Taker has never really had a major problem putting over up and coming talent he i old school in that regard.

Mark was not a big asshole about the behind the scenes politics like HBK/Hogan but there was a bit of that going on. Vince has like him since about 1992/93 although he got a push right out the gate, Michales and Bret did not for example.

Last edited:

The Phenom

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
1m1d5Ur
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Well office politics also comes into it. Taker did not play the behind the scenes game as much as the others but he was Vince enforcers in the locker room in the 90's. He pressured HBK into going over vs Austin in 1998 for example.

Ever wondered why some stars that are over do not get a big push and other wrestlers who are not over get a big push? Its how well you get along with Vince. There are shoot interviews out there from Austin and co covering this. Ahmed Johnson and Mark Merro were vinces picks for the big push in the mid 90's.

Ahmed Johnson and Mark Merro huh I enjoyed both really but Ahmed could have been a little better in the ring and Merro was overshadowed by Sable it was sad. I really feel like Ahmed could have been champion at least once I stated that in a previous thread Attitude Era-Ruthless Aggression Era WWEF Superstars who should have been WWEF Champ at least once Check it out

Last edited:

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
Ahmed Johnson and Mark Merro huh I enjoyed both really but Ahmed could have been a little better in the ring and Merro was overshadowed by Sable it was sad. I really feel like Ahmed could have been champion at least once I stated that in a previous thread

Yup those 2 and Rocky were Vinces picks to develop but we know how things turned out. The Kliq was also trying to bury everyone up to and including Bret Hart.

Taker beneifitted to an extent form being in the right place at the right time. He was always in the main picture but was rarely the title champ. He was that monster heel then babyface Vince liked using. After Andre went awya there was a large amount of big men who got thrown into main events regardless of how good or over they were and they were often the monster heels.

Earthquake
Tugboat
Zeus
Taker
Giant Gonzalez
Yokozuna
Psycho Sid
Diesel
Mabel (later Viscera)

etc.

Going up to Great Khail. You can more or less instantly present them as a major threat without having to use much in the way of a buildup (see HBK 93-96 and how they turned him from a mid carder to main eventer). Most of the monsters were actually crap .

By 1995 and 1996 they only had a handful of wrestlers left that mattered- HBK, Shawn Michaels, Taker, Razor Ramon and Diesal and then Nash and Hall left for WCW. Go and watch the 1996 royal rumble its fairly bad in terms of roster depth. THe HBK/Bret 1 hour match would be another example of how weak the roster was. Also note that Shawna nd Bret werealso gone in 97/98 but Taker was still around and Vince used him heavily.

THere are also ome hilarious stories floating around about the locker rooms in the mid 90's. Rampant drug use, HBKK being a heart breaker for Vince, sex for coke, anything involving Sunny.

Last edited:

The Phenom

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
1m1d5Ur
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Yup those 2 and Rocky were Vinces picks to develop but we know how things turned out. The Kliq was also trying to bury everyone up to and including Bret Hart.

Taker beneifitted to an extent form being in the right place at the right time. He was always in the main picture but was rarely the title champ. He was that monster heel then babyface Vince liked using. After Andre went awya there was a large amount of big men who got thrown into main events regardless of how good or over they were and they were often the monster heels.

Earthquake
Tugboat
Zeus
Taker
Giant Gonzalez
Yokozuna
Psycho Sid
Diesel
Mabel (later Viscera)

etc.

Going up to Great Khail. You can more or less instantly present them as a major threat without having to use much in the way of a buildup (see HBK 93-96 and how they turned him from a mid carder to main eventer). Most of the monsters were actually crap .

By 1995 and 1996 they only had a handful of wrestlers left that mattered- HBK, Shawn Michaels, Taker, Razor Ramon and Diesal and then Nash and Hall left for WCW. Go and watch the 1996 royal rumble its fairly bad in terms of roster depth. THe HBK/Bret 1 hour match would be another example of how weak the roster was. Also note that Shawna nd Bret werealso gone in 97/98 but Taker was still around and Vince used him heavily.

Yeah Zeus, Giant Gonzalez and, The great Khali were terrible monster heels (LOL) I'm just glad that The Undertaker was never locked down to that role only....Glad he was versatile and able to be used in many ways....I was pissed when he came back as THE AMERICAN BADAZZ but it eventually grew on me and I knew one day The Phenom would return. Did you enjoy The American badass Taker?

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
Yeah Zeus, Giant Gonzalez and, The great Khali were terrible monster heels (LOL) I'm just glad that The Undertaker was never locked down to that role only....Glad he was versatile and able to be used in many ways....I was pissed when he came back as THE AMERICAN BADAZZ but it eventually grew on me and I knew one day The Phenom would return. Did you enjoy The American badass Taker?

I was not watching in that era of WWFE. I have only seen a few American Badass matches. Prefer classic taker.

The Phenom

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
1m1d5Ur
Favorite Wrestler
dx
I was not watching in that era of WWFE. I have only seen a few American Badass matches. Prefer classic taker.
You should watch The American Badazz Taker vs Brock Lesnar HIAC match

The Phenom

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
1m1d5Ur
Favorite Wrestler