Indy/Puro MOTYC 2013 thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Testify

Bully
Reaction score
Website
i.imgur.com
Sounds typical Elgin, good move execution but poor middlework.

Actually, I found Lethal that was (mostly) boring. And then I watched a PWG ASW night 1 show, and it proved it. Lethal can be very, very boring (though his match on ASW night 2 vs. Willie Mack was fucking good).

CxB

Jobber
Reaction score
Chico Che/Freelance/Hijo del Pantera vs. Apolo Estrada Jr./Avisman/Eita, IWRG 2/18

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kazushi Sakuraba, NJPW 1/4

Terrible vs. Rush, CMLL 1/22

Bonesaw vs. Necro Butcher, PWS 5/18

Testify

Bully
Reaction score
Website
i.imgur.com
Tanahashi vs. Okada for the title @ NJPW Invasion Attack was brilliant. ****1/4

Shinsuke vs. Davey Boy too. ****

Testify

Bully
Reaction score
Website
i.imgur.com
Goto vs. Shibata and MiSu & Shelton vs. Swagamura & Ishii from Dominion get an easy MOTYCs from me. ****

Devitt vs. Tanahashi and Okada vs. Makabe were also very good. ***1/2

"Dominion" overall - highly enjoyable show.

Larsosc

The Artiste
Reaction score
One of the matches I do agree fully with in this thread is Tanahashi vs. Okada at Invasion Attack, great storytelling, great wrestling, great chemistry and just a great feel in general. I'd rate it ****3/4. I think I have done a full review of it before whether it was on this forum or not. I don't bother typing everything out again though, haha.

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto at NJPW Dominion absolutely blew my mind and I do think it deserves a really high place among matches of the year even though I have heard people saying although it was definitely an incredible match, it wasn't a MOTY contender. I do think this and I honestly can't fake my enthusiasm for this match, it's as genuine as it can get. It must be something little extra I found entertaining in this match that others didn't, but oh well. It had such great psychology in the sense of following up from their previous match which ended in a double count out after both got knocked out. Both had so much to prove and that showed in the match. The story couldn't have been told better and if you saw their previous match and watch/watched this one, you cannot/couldn't miss the desire for one of these guys to win this match, kayfabely, of course. They treated it like it was their only goal in life to win the match and as I said, it was definitely noticeable. This is where people genuinely would think wrestling is real. The emotion was genuine and to say the least; so was their wrestling. Stiff and credible in the sense of dealing damage.

Rating: ****1/2 (I want to rate it higher but I have a feeling it would be too much, so I stick to my guts.)

Reactions: Testify

The Crator

Jobber
Reaction score
For me, at ROH Best in the World, Tommaso Ciampa and Michael Elgin was a very very great match. They both took beating from each other.

THG?

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Ciampa vs. Elgin was very good. Tanahashi vs. Okada at Invasion Attack was real good too. And of course the aforementioned PWG matches. I have yet to watch Invasion, but I'm sure brilliant matches came out of there.

TKK

Reaction score
A match that probably won't get the attention that it deserves is Sami Callihan vs. Shane Hollister in a Last Man Standing match at AAW's Day Of Defiance show. With the majority of LMS matches nowadays being dominated by duct tape and useless weapons this match was a breath of fresh air. A solid 25 minutes of wrestling/brawling followed up by a very grueling final ten minutes made this a joy to watch and it showed how much Sami's ring psychology has improved over the last two years. Shane kept up with Sami every step of the way and showed a lot of possible star potential.

I don't think that it's match of the year, but it's certainly one of the best indy matches that I've seen all year and deserves a look.

THG?

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
AR Fox vs. Lince Dorado at EVOLVE 22 was awesomely awesome, probably not match of the year, but definitely a contender.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Steelcage warfare from the July 27 episode of Ring of honor (ROH vs SCUM, if ROH wins: Scum disbands, if Scum wins: ROH dies) was a good stipulation match. Maybe not MOTY but certainly one worth checking out.

Reactions: THG?

THG?

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Steelcage warfare from the July 27 episode of Ring of honor (ROH vs SCUM, if ROH wins: Scum disbands, if Scum wins: ROH dies) was a good stipulation match. Maybe not MOTY but certainly one worth checking out.

I was certainly impressed by that match too.