Ilya Dragunov talks potential NXT callup

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Ilja Dragunov isn't in a rush to be called up to the WWE main roster.

During an appearance on Busted Open Radio, Dragunov was asked if he wants to spend more time in NXT or if he'd like to be called up tomorrow. Dragunov said staying in NXT for a while wouldn't make him unhappy because he's not in a rush to be called up. Dragunov has enjoyed his journey and likes the surprise of not knowing everything that's coming.

Dragunov said:

That’s a good question, and I get these questions often in interviews and this is always about having a specific goal. I have no opinion on this. So on the other side, I would say if I would stay in NXT for a while, it’s nothing that makes me unhappy because I’m not in a rush. I’ve entirely enjoyed the journey. I'm entirely enjoying not always to know everything and just see everything in front of me, being surprised, being challenged. Like, the surprise of life in all this journey is the most precious thing to me. Because if I could know everything, it would just be like goal after goal after goal. That’s not what art is all about. This business is performance art. And I'm an artist 100 percent.

Dragunov is facing Wes Lee in a number one contender's match on NXT tonight (September 12). The winner will challenge Carmelo Hayes for the NXT Championship at NXT No Mercy on Saturday, September 30.

Dragunov has already faced Hayes for the NXT Championship once. In the main event of NXT Great American Bash this July, Hayes defeated Dragunov to retain the title.

Before becoming a member of the NXT roster, Dragunov was in NXT UK and held the NXT United Kingdom Championship one time.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I wouldn't be rushing either, I thought the transition from NXT to the main roster was going to a billion times better with Trips leading creative but that's clearly not been the case.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
:cozy nxt callup or main roster callup?

Tommy Thunder

Reaction score
I don't think there's a particular space for him on the main roster right now, and that's fine as he's in a prime position in NXt sot here's no rush to move him up. They could call him up if they run out of opponents for GUNTHER to revisit their feud, but I wouldn't be pushign for that (at this point) myself.
He's a conerstone of NXT and they need people like him to anchor that brand for a while.

Daddy Deville

Big D Energy
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Ilja deserves a run with nxt championship before any call up. In dream world he take down Gunther for ic championship.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
My mouth waters for all the matches I can watch with him on the main roster......unfortunately I'll have to watch Superstars for that.

Until someone sees what a unique talent they have with this guy.......is he on the smaller side? Yeah.......but do you believe he's a mean motor scooter? Yeah.

He's the next Cesaro......great matches are ahead, IDK about the chances of him being top tier......but hey, you can't predict alot of people who were.