• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

If the King of the Ring returned...

Dylanfsd

Reaction score
Who would you put over as the 2007 KOTR winner?

Now, I don't know for sure if this tournament will be returning as some point this year (I know it took place in May last year), but this tournament is always a huge stepping stone to main event success. SCSA, HHH, Bret Hart, Brock Lesnar, and Edge to name a few.

If I had some say on the WWE Creative staff, I would try to create a KOTR tournament on the way to the Great American Bash, after all the last 2 PPVs have had gimmicks.

This tournament should be tri-branded (yeah, I know there's just been a draft but I doubt they will keep everyone separate.)

I'd use
For ECW: Johnny Nitro and Elijah Burke
For Raw: Jeff Hardy, Mr. Kennedy, the Sandman and Carlito
For SD: Matt Hardy and Kane

The first round I'd set up:

Jeff Hardy vs. Mr. Kennedy
Johnny Nitro vs. Kane
The Sandman vs. Carlito
Elijah Burke vs. Matt Hardy

During these match ups, I'd have a quick match between Jeff and Kennedy where Jeff wins by a quick rollup, not having Kennedy lose too easily. Then, in a hard fought battle, I'd have Nitro take out Kane in a typical upset where Kane jobs to give Nitro some much needed credibility. After that, as predictable as it may seem, I'd have Carlito advance when Sandman is DQed after using his singapore cane. Lastly, I'd have Elijah Burke lose to Matt Hardy after some accidental interference by Marcus Cor Von.

This makes the Semifinals look like this:

Jeff Hardy vs. Johnny Nitro
Carlito vs. Matt Hardy.

I know everyone would be anticipating another Hardy vs. Hardy finals, but during the Jeff Hardy vs. Johnny Nitro match, Mr. Kennedy would find a way to make sure that Nitro goes on to the finals and ruin Jeff's chances. This would also set up a feud in the meantime where Jeff Hardy vs. Mr. Kennedy would take place at GAB. In the other semifinals, Matt Hardy would find a way to pull out the victory leading to this years KOTR Final:

Johnny Nitro vs. Matt Hardy

Both of these guys have been putting in the work and would greatly benefit from this victory. I'm still 50-50 on who I would have win this match, but I see Matt Hardy as a more credible main eventer right now than Johnny Nitro. All of the rest of the guys in this tournament are already established or don't need this win as much as these 2 guys do. You can obviously make an argument for Carlito to win, but I just don't see him getting past Matt Hardy if Johnny Nitro is waiting in the finals.

This tournament would leave a GAB mid card of Johnny Nitro vs. Matt Hardy, Mr. Kennedy vs. Jeff Hardy, and Elijah Burke vs. Marcus Cor Von.

Any thoughts on how you would run your tournament? Please relate them to current happenings on WWE TV right now as much as possible.

3lions

Reaction score
I won't go into detail, but basically, I would book Matt Hardy to win the tournmane.t He is on a roll at the moment and one of the most popular faces in the WWE right now. WWE should capitalise on this and book him to win the KOTR. This could also be a great way to propell him into the ME, whilst adding credibility to him.

Other possible winners: MVP / Cor Von / Punk

Markz

Reaction score
I'd put Kennedy as the winner, but if you want options from each brand i'd have:

Raw: Kennedy
SD!: Edge
ECW: Cor Von/CM Punk

I'd have the KOTR PPV back and make the final a speacial match like a ladder match or something. Also I would make a huge deal about it and make it for the #1 contendership for that brand's respective champion.

Dylanfsd

Reaction score
^^ Dunno really lol... just thought of an Idea like he loses the Ecw world title but still is on a role of a main eventer on Ecw to reclaim his title or something .. I really dont know it was just an idea

straight_edge76

Id set it up like this

Carlito
CM Punk

Matt Hardy
Kennedy

MVP
Umaga (Im actually a Fan of his)

Jeff Hardy
Marquis Cor Von

With Kennedy, Punk, MVP and Cor Von as The Semi and MVP/Punk as the final, with Punk winning. But any of the final 4 count be goot ME'ers ATM

RKOrton.

Reaction score
I'd have Booker win it two years in a row. IMO Booker plays a real good "King" role and I think he could go another year with it. But what I'd also like to see is Booker and HHH in the finals where the two "kings" of the WWE would face off to crown only one. I think it would be a pretty good storyline and match.

phantomgerald

The miz to win, then Booker doesn't want to give up his title and a feud ensues. This would at least get the Miz some time to prove himself. I don't see the point of letting main eventers like Kennedy, Edge or Nitro in the KOTR. KOTR should be meant to push talent, not help the MEters get more air time

Leahy26

Reaction score
the tournament isnt going to become a good stepping stone for anyone anymore now that the tournaments on smackdown yeah booker was champ after he won but that was just an exucse for him to gain momentum that he won that stupid tournament on raw he will bever be champ cuz hes not that good

3lions

Reaction score
Exactly phanton, the primary reason the KOTR was created, was to create/establish new stars. Just look at the guys who have benefited from winning the KOTR. The only guys who haven't been pushed after winning the tournament, were Mr. Ass and Mabel. Austin/Angle/Lesnar/etc. were able to gain serious momentun and propell themselves to the ME, gaining title shots i the process. That purpose/booking should continue, if the KOTR were ever to be brought back. Guys who are already ME stars like Kennedy, etc, should not be included in the KOTR, wheras Punk, MVP, Carlito, Cor Von, Burke, Matt Harty, etc. should be.