Humans Are Driving Animals To Extinction At A Shocking Rate

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
Fossil and genetic evidence tell us that animals have been going extinct since long before the existence of modern humans – but how might extinction rates differ if humans suddenly ceased to exist? A recently updated calculation suggests the rate of die-offs would be lower. Much, much lower.

According to a team led by Stuart Pimm of Duke University in Durham, North Carolina,human activities are driving species to extinction at roughly 1000 times the background rate, i.e. the rate at which species would die out in the absence of humans. That's at the upper end of a previous estimate of Pimm's, published in Science in 1995, that not only underestimated the rate at which species are currently disappearing, but also overestimated the background rate over the last 10–20 million years.

That's scary for any number of reasons, but the most frightening of all may be how little we understand about the balance of speciation and extinction on the global scale. Is the inflated extinction rate pushing us toward some catastrophic tipping point? At what point , if any, does the rapid loss of species cause large-scale ecological systems to break down? As New Scientist's Peter Aldhous puts it:

The big unknown is what the high current extinction rate means for the health of entire ecosystems. Some researchers have suggested "sustainable" targets for species' loss, but there's still no scientific way to predict at what point cumulative extinctions cause an ecosystem to collapse. "People who say that are pulling numbers out of the air," says Pimm.

The upshot? Earth may be on the cusp of its sixth mass extinction. Of course, if we've learned anything from the last five major die-outs, it's that our planet (and its various inhabitants) has a way of recovering. Whether humanity recovers with it remains to be seen

http://io9.com/humans-are-driving-animals-to-extinction-at-a-shocking-1584481028

I'm a fan of animals, so I do not approve of this. But then again, this is yet another obvious sign of [HASHTAG]#endtimes[/HASHTAG] so I'm split :hmm: :notsure:

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
Time to go human hunting.

*cocks gun*

:tough:

Millions of people die daily, and I'm barely phased. Animals go extinct, poachers hunt, we destroy their habitat etc -- that gets me butthurt. :angry:

I know that's somewhat hypocritical because I'm living in a modern town and eat meat and such, but still. Kill humanity. Leave the rest of the world alone. Does that make me a horrible human being? Probably. \__/

Solid Snake

Millions of people die daily, and I'm barely phased. Animals go extinct, poachers hunt, we destroy their habitat etc -- that gets me butthurt. :angry:

I know that's somewhat hypocritical because I'm living in a modern town and eat meat and such, but still. Kill humanity. Leave the rest of the world alone. Does that make me a horrible human being? Probably. \__/

Using animals for life is fine but killing for fun... THAT BOLD SHIT! Animals make this world beautiful, if it wasn't for them, it would just be a buncha hairless moronic apes killing each other. Two things piss me off.... Animal cruelty and child abuse. You hurt kids or animals you deserve a metal rod shoved up your ass with a flag on the end that says I am a piss poor excuse of a human being.

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
The day grizzly bears go extinct is the day I go on a k*ll**g spree. :angry: :mad2:

(censored so that the NSA doesn't bust down my door)

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
How long 'til we get flamed?

c0b153761462ad53b3ea038d3dd30dd3._.gif

Farooq

Chairwoman of The New Day
Reaction score
Mother Base doesn't approve animal cruelty.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
look at all these hippie dippie weirdo homo smurfs

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
Reaction score
Said it before and I'll say it again, the earth and life on earth will be here long after humans cease to exist. Stop whining! I'm a cop you idiot! It's not a tumor!

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Said it before and I'll say it again, the earth and life on earth will be here long after humans cease to exist. Stop whining! I'm a cop you idiot! It's not a tumor!
Exactly. I always flip it around on "go Green" and "save the Earth" people. I tell them "you selfish son of a bitch. You don't care about Earth, Earth doesn't need your "care". You just want the Earth to fulfill your own selfish needs"

Solid Snake

I say the same thing... (going green is bs, yadda yadda) But it makes me mad when people abuse animals in anyway.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
I say the same thing... (going green is bs, yadda yadda) But it makes me mad when people abuse animals in anyway.
Blatant animal abuse, sure, it falls right in line with child abuse for me. They are inherently innocent.