How Much Does OldJay Enjoy Deathmatch Wrestling(Reviews of CZW:COD)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
CZW: Cage Of Death 1: The Genesis
DATE: OCTOBER 16, 1999

Backstory: So I watched the Dark Side of the Ring episode of Nick Gage and I realized I have hated DM wrestling for a very long time, without that much exposure to it. I've seen some of the guys when they graced other indy shows, guys like Necro and well hell that might be it. As well as seeing a few of Mick Foley's matches in his Japan days. Pretty much the closest I have got to watching a good deal of DM wrestling was ECW, and I actually don't consider that to be DM wrestling, as I'm sure most would not. So what I've decided to do, and since I'm a fair and civil person. I've decided to take a look at every single CZW Cage of Death event, the entire thing not just the COD match, and review them. If I'm not over DM wrestling by the end of this I probably will move onto to do all of the King of DM events as well. But without further ado here is my review of Cage of Death I.

Match I: Jon Dahmer vs. Big Slam: NO STARS
Yeah, that's right, first match on the card was a dousy (I think that's how you spell that). I'm not sure if this was the worst match I've watched ever, but I can tell you it definitely cracks my top ten. This match was straight up deplorable. No direction, both of the guys seemed like this was the first time they even saw a wrestling ring. I have zero things to say about the match in a positive spin.

Match II: Trent Acid vs. White Lotus: ONE STAR
This gets one star because it had some decent action in it, where it looked like the two guys had a glimmer of an idea of what a wrestling match should be. It wasn't the most entertaining thing, I really couldn't do it as there just was no real rhythm to the entire thing. Also I'm not sure why Acid, who I believe was playing a face in the match, started mooning the crowd. It was a very odd tactic. I presume it was because, backstage these two guys scripted out a bunch of moves, got ahead of that script and so Acid did was you always see in every match that leads to a time-limit draw, he pulled his pants down and started slapping his ass cheeks for the crowd. Oh yeah, and I guess since they were both playing faces they decided to have this match end in a draw.

Match III: Trent Acid/White Lotus vs. Johnny Kashmere/Robbi Mireno: ONE AND A HALF STARS
I bet you think I'm getting lazy with my scoring and I would see why you would think but well, I'm just telling it like I sees it. Now this match I have labeled "ode to ECW". Why you ask, well it was an impromptu match that happened because the good guys didn't like what the bad guys were saying about them in a promo. Then there some good spots, everyone gets thrown away, punches are landed and then the next criteria of an impromptu ECW tag match happens. The good guys get a double pin. Side note, has there ever been a double pin by the heel side of things? Is it always both good guys of the team or one from both sides?? I'm intrigued now.

Match IV: Ric Blade vs. Nick Gage: TWO AND A HALF STARS
Let me just stay Ric Blade was the Junior Heavyweight Champ during this match, and in the Wiki for the card it says that it was a Junior HW match, HOWEVER I have no idea if that's true or not as I don't remember it ever being stated. Now onto the match itself. The match was decent. Ric Blade looked like he was just starting out on his pro wrestling voyage, but that he could become a decent performer in the ring later down the road in his career. Also, I wasn't too unimpressed with Nick Gage either. It was decent back and forth, the spots in the match didn't just seem to be there to be cool, they seemed like they were a highlight of the match it self. The powerbomb table spot on the outside was a pretty decent spot. Not too many people would take that spot on just concrete flooring so that takes some guts on Blade's part. Then, it happened, all of a sudden 30 ninjas popped out from all sides of the ring, then a leprechaun, a T-Rex and Ric Flair. No, that really didn't happen but the interference by, I believe it was 4 or 5 people by the end of things was so damn convoluted and confusing that the what I just said could have happened and I would have been no more confused than I was by what actually happened. I understand run-ins, and on small shows like this storylines are set up like this all the time, but man, just keep it to 1 or 2. After that it's just a turd.

Match V: TCK vs. MiddKnight: TWO AND A HALF STARS
Nothing earth shattering. Middle of the road spots. Guys were decent in the match. Decent back and forth.

Match VI: Jon Zandig vs. Wifebeater (First Blood Match): TWO STARS
The Ending! LIKE WHAT IN THE ACTUAL F! This ended in a draw and I've watched it numerous times to see why and it still doesn't make sense to me. What happened is that Wifebeater gives Zandig a chair shot, then whatever the name of Zandig's croney is gives Wifebeater a chair shot. Both of the guys are laying on the mat, faces down. OBVSIOUSLY blading themselves. Ref looks at them both after 30 seconds and declares it a draw since they both are bleeding. Wouldn't just the first person bleeding win!?!?! Beyond that, the rest of the match was decent. Both guys killing each other around the entire gym, outside the ring. But to me, it was all negated by a draw that no matter how many times I've watched it, still can't make sense on why it should have happened!!

Match VI: THE MAIN EVENT: CZW Iron Match Championship CAGE OF DEATH MATCH: Lobo vs. Justice Pain: THREE STARS
For what it was. I'll just say this match was decent. Seeing a COD match at CZW for the first time, it just looks like the cage is too small to be filled with the amount of shit that was in it. It just made it look like there was no room to do anything but run into something even if you weren't trying to. The match was basically something that either has been coined this already or maybe I'm just making it up myself but let's call it "spot wrestling", which I'm not sure if this match could have been anything but that just by what I mentioned in the last sentence about the amount of stuff in the ring. Side note: something that hit my funny bone was seeing the ref sweep up the glass with a broom right in the middle of the match. Not sure why but it just had me laughing.

Well that does it for this review, I guess I could grade the entire card. I guess my grade would be 2 stars. Perhaps if I followed CZW it would be higher as there was H8 Club turning on Justice Pain and a bunch of other stuff happening that really took from the matches more so than were a part of them. So feel free to lambast me in a retort that's fine with me. I'll keep watching and keep posting these things. Maybe one day I'll just be all about that DM, baby!

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
CZW: Cage of Death II: After Dark
Date: September 9, 2000

Alright folks, the second cage of death is in the books, let the review begin.

Match I: Lobo vs. Zandig (CZW Heavyweight Cage of Death Match): 1 Star
So, doing as little research as I possibly could for this card I found out that this first "altercation" was an actual match. I won't spend too much time on this one, as I'm fairly certain the amount of time it will take you to read these review for this single "match" is about the same length as the "match" was. Basically, Zandig has booked this match to say, "I can book myself in any damn match I want". Also the very racially toned pre-"match" promo by Zandig and the later run in by Yamakawa that costs Zandig his shot at the title was another reason to have it booked. The match lasted maybe three minutes (which this review might just be under by a second or two) and then there was interference by Yamakawa. The End!

Match II: Lobo vs. Justice Pain (CZW Heavyweight Cage of Death Match):3 and a half stars
This was a decent match, really questionable on why they would have what many would assume would be the main event in the card with the name of the match, but I think later in review it's revealed why they might have done this. Never the less I digress. To start off we have Pain do a moonsault off of the top of the cage to, AIR, yes air. And I'm not saying Lobo rolled out of the way, escaping obvious injury by the skin of his teeth, NO NO, no no. Lobo rolled out of the way and was on his feet already before Justice Pain did a moonsault off of the top of the cage and miss Lobo. Besides that though, match was good. The spots, obviously besides the first one were decent. The action went back and forth at a good pace and such.

Match III: Nick Mondo vs. Trent Acid: 2 and a half stars
The match started out solid, they went back and forth with a good flow. Then Nick and Trent went, "we gotta turn the action up here, let's do some flips and shit", and that's when the bad things happened. Botchamania probably could have filled an entire clip up from this match. So when this started happening, the entire match just was completely lost and just looked like crap.

Match IV: Rockin' Rebel vs. Jon Dahmer: 2 stars
I guess two stars, this match grabbed my attention less than if I went down to the local old folks home and watched them play a mean game of bridge.

Match V: Nate Hatred vs. Nick Berk: 3 stars
Decent back and forth in the match. Nothing really to bring down the score.

Match VI: Ryuji Yamakawa vs. Zandig: 2 stars
There were some cool spots in the match. Plain ole melee that took place outside the ring more so than actually in the ring. I will say though, uhhhh again in doing research for this review that Yamakawa actually won the match. That was as clear as a astrophysics. This would be why two stars because the match just well, ended. Like I know Zandig and Yamakawa both left the place and that is really the only reason I could tell that the match actually ended.

Match VII: Nick Gage vs. Mad Man Pondo vs. Wifebeater: 1 star
So you remember a little bit ago in this review when I said that it was a little odd that what most would consider the main event for this card happening at the very beginning of the show. Well watching this match you now realize why. This match might have been entertaining, HOWEVER it was done in darkness. As in the event was held outside, sun set, moon up, stars out and no lights, darkness. You couldn't see what was hitting who. Who was landing on what. They could have been landing on pillows and as long as they sold it the same you would think they were landing on barbed wire. There was just no way to get into the match because you had to concentrate on trying to see through the darkness.

And that concludes this review. Cage of Death does take place in the ECW arena, so that takes care of that pesky night thing. Also it does have some more indy guys that were not just "CZW guys". Looking forward to it and I'll be back with another review.​

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
No one tagged me? Shame.

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
No one tagged me? Shame.
Soooooorrrry. I'm still not fully aware of who's into Deathmatch wrestling in this place. There shall be plenty more when you get back to read over. I promise.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Soooooorrrry. I'm still not fully aware of who's into Deathmatch wrestling in this place. There shall be plenty more when you get back to read over. I promise.

Holding you to this post so you don't give up (don't look too deep in the section and find the review thread I gave up on tho)

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Holding you to this post so you don't give up (don't look too deep in the section and find the review thread I gave up on tho)
Nah, I really will. This have been in the bin for a bit. But I will be diving back into the series. Been watching IWA: East Coast Masters of Pain recently. I didn't want to review that just because.....I really wasn't sure how great it was going to be.

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
You good man, but the others know how much I love it, lol. And I look forward to it

Reactions: Marty McFourth