WrestleMania How do you solve a problem like Wrestlemania?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wrasslemaniac

The Showoff
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Forgive me if this is a load of garbage but wanted to post on it to see what other people have to say

With Wrestlemania under 2 weeks away now, (hopefully) we are all starting to get hyped at what is supposed to be the show of shows in WWE terms. The biggest talking point of recent years has been how long Wrestlemania actually lasts in the modern day. Jokes of last year's show still ongoing and the pre-show for next year already starting are common come wrestlemania weekend. In preparation for this year (and the likelihood that i'd have to probably work from home or take the day after off), I thought best check the planned start and finish times here in the UK. Upon discovering that the pre-show begins at 9:30pm (UK time), it looks as if we are looking at a 2.5 hour pre-show followed by a 4 hour minimum main show. The show will definitely overrun and I will be surprised if i'm turning off the network any sooner that 5am UK time. In terms of the card, 13 matches have been announced, 3 are pre-show, 10 on the main card (with the growing possibility of cena vs taker being added), adding no doubt a segment or 2 during the show. Looking at the card, show times, it raises the question (to me at least) are we heading towards the longest Wrestlemania to date? Yes, we probably are.

Wrestlemania is and always will be my favourite PPV, it's the only one i'll watch live here in the UK because simply i can't miss it but this year I already feel drained at the thought of possibly 7 hours start to finish. Whilst i should be excited at the prospect of what we could be seeing this year, gushing over "dream matches" or dream returns, am i wrong to be dreading how long it will take to get to the end of the show (which we all expect Reigns to close off)? Regardless of how i feel about the very late night I'll be putting in to watch the show, the other question this raises is, is there actually a solution to this ever increasing "supershow" or is this the only way Mania can truly work? To answer that, I thought about 2 solutions and quickly conclude on how it wouldn't work

Reduce the Main Show to 3 hours tops
The topic of the show length is a double edged sword and not everyone will win out of what they do with the show. By that I mean if you go 3 hours that means less matches and less talent getting that mania payday. Also you've got less time to put on a show or steal the show. If we had that 3 hour main show then as fans we would probably be complaining more because we would be getting say a mixed tag match lasting a good 15 mins minimum (it is HHH we're talking about) whereas Styles vs Nakamura may be lucky to get 10 at best and go on first. So I wouldn't want to see the show cut short as the card, quality of the matches we would get would be far less than what we currently have

Mania Weekend
Saturday night - SmackdownMania, Sunday night - RawMania

Why this couldn't work can be summed up in one question: have you seen pictures of smackdown attendances? You would have to only sell tickets for both nights to make this work which means prices going up, especially if you are taking in NXT (which would have to be the friday night) and Hall of Fame (now the thursday night in this scenario). Adding in Raw & Smackdown, jesus its nearly a full week of WWE. My head hurts at the fault of that and my wallet thanks me for being put off by this idea

So i've exhausted those 2 "solutions" what does that leave me with? Oh yeah, the current format. Maybe we just have to grin and bear it, look at what we have, what we get and who we get to see. Do we want to risk diluting, diminishing the greatest spectacle in Sports Entertainment? I feel for the fans attending because it's hard to pick your toilet break, it's hard to keep going, it's hard to not get gassed by the time the "main event" matches come round when they want those big reactions from you. It's hard going but we just need to get through it together and then start complaining all over again about how Wrestlemania lasts too long until Wrestlemania Monday when we can get excited to see who will be joining us on the March to the Big Apple for next year (then we can start complaining again after Roman closes the show or during if you so wish)

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I love the idea of 2 nights of Wrestlemania, but don't just make them brand exclusive. This show has enough quality matches to fill up 2 PPV cards

The other side though is that card structure is everything to this show. It feels like it could have a steady flow building up to the main event and we could be loving being wrestling fans again by the time Lesnar and Reigns lock horns.

Figure the McMahon tag matches though will be relatively shortshort, enjoy the easy pop and have a little fun type of matches. Perfect buffers. Cena vs undertaker makes everything awkward though

Last edited:
Reactions: bullyballmm

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
I don’t mind the time frame honestly. It has never really bothered me. The bigggest PPV of the year should prob be the longest PPV of the year, call me crazy. Sure, it’s hard to keep interest for 4-5 hours straight, but if you book it right, invest as much as you can into every feud, it can work out just fine.

I never gotten “bored” throughout a mania. There’s been moments where some matches bored me, but the show in and of itself always had a decent enough card and moments to keep me amused throughout the PPV. I don’t get why people always bitch about it.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I don't think Wrestlemania should be any shorter than 4 hours for the main show. It is one of the things that makes it special I feel. I mean, the Super Bowl of wrestling should run longer than a standard PPV. I think if you make it two shows on two nights, then you run the risk of irritating certain fans who may not be able to watch both nights.

I really like the way that it is but they should do their best to keep it from running over. I mean, Wrestlemania 32 was awful and felt like it would never end. However, it was only slightly longer than Wrestlemania 20, which at the time I loved. So as long as the card is good, I think it is fine.

Best advice, if it seems too long, don't just sit and watch the preshow. Either don't watch it and watch the matches later or do other things while it plays. I don't think there is anything really wrong with the time or format as long as the show is entertaining.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
The actual show will be at least 6 hours. I maybe completely wrong on that tho. The Rock is probably show his face and say hi. That will take half an hour.

The problem with last years mania os they gave too much time to match that didn't need it. Seth v HHH was 10 minutes of kick punch. Made the crowd fall asleep.

Alexa v Nia should be a sqaush match. The Ronda match should be less then 15 minutes. Braun v the bar is a 10 minute match. Cena v Taker should be nowhere near 20 minutes.

The matches that should have 15 minutes plus are AJ v Nakamura Asuka v Charlotte Roman v Brock maybe the Dbry match, the SDL tag match and the IC title match.

So hopefully they don't give time towards matches that dont need it. Alexa v Nia will probably be 10 minutes :(.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I just hope its a fun show with some great matches.

I'll be skipping a few of them so the fact its such a long show
doesn't really effect me.

I won't get to see it till the next day.

I can imagine it would be hard to sit & watch the entire event
from Kick Off show start to Main Event finish.

You'd have to plan out a lunch match...possibly a shower match...
possibly a walking the dog match.

Reactions: The Sheik

The Sheik

The Architect
Technician
Reaction score
It's really hard for any show to keep my interest for this long. Every WWE show seems like it gets longer and longer every year... Sure WrestleMania should be the longest show of the year since it's the biggest, it's just so hard to follow it for this long.. I can't sit there for 4/5 hours to watch anything.. Every show just needs to be shorter dammit.

I might just pick a handful of matches i want to see and watch it the following day.. There's only like 3 or 4 matches i'm invested in anyways.

Reactions: Grievous 3D

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
also yeah to Edge's point last year's Mania never bored me unless Triple H was being boring. Neither did 31 tbh. 32 was a struggle to sit through half of it but then I knew nothing could follow the women's triple threat.

I'll See Ya Kia

Beautiful Palm Trees.
Reaction score
Hmmm, I wouldn't worry 2 much. Playing on your phone should pass time nicely, no?