Hip Hop/RAP Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I need thoughts from Eminem fans from back in '99 before I download that.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Could have done without him having Rihanna and Skyler on there but the tracklisting looks great. Only feature I would add on there is Odd Future. Really think that is an inevitable collab.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
[video=youtube;S7cQ3b0iqLo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7cQ3b0iqLo[/video]

:homer: eminem is KING.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I like his flow in the song and most of the lyrics but the beat is garbage and I hate the hook.

Ryan

Reaction score
This album is not going to live up to MMLP. It's just not possible given the songs that have already been released. Why isn't Dr. Dre on production on any of these singles. We get Rick Rubin, but not Dr. Dre?

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I like his flow in the song and most of the lyrics but the beat is garbage and I hate the hook.

I felt the exact same way when I first heard it. I hate that beat.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
This album is not going to live up to MMLP. It's just not possible given the songs that have already been released. Why isn't Dr. Dre on production on any of these singles. We get Rick Rubin, but not Dr. Dre?
I agree even though lets not disrespect Rick Rubin the man is a living legend and a dope producer. But obviously we need a Dr. Dre produced single. Berzerk has grown on me esp after seeing the music video I will admit though. Really want this album to be mostly produced by Dre, Em himself and Bass brothers but idk if it will.

Apparently rap god is supposed to be a mocking of modern day hip hop hence the beat and at times where his flows is some of the modern day flows so it makes me understand the hook and beat more but still think it should have been done better. Maybe just have part of the song be the obvious mocking and then have an actual good beat that he raps on for most of the song.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Didn't like RAP GOD at all, the beat was horrific and he wasn't really explain' why he was a RAP GOD. He was mostly just spittin', fast talkin' about how he can spit fast and good. It was annoyin' but I do understand if it was a shot at current Hip Hop yet that doesn't make it fun to listen to.

I didn't mind "Berzerk" as it was an ode to MCA, just didn't think it was an overall great track. It does remind me of Sublime doin' a song for KRS-One though that is a different story entirely.

And the only people I see thinkin' this could be one of Em's best albums are kids that didn't grow up with Em when he started. Plus, most of them can't name half the tracks of the Slim Shady LP or Marshall Mathers LP so I refuse to take them seriously. Yeah, tell me one more time how you got started on Em by listenin' to "Shake That Ass," TELL ME ONE MORE TIME, tell me one more mutha fuckin' time, I dare ya. Personally, I just think Em being older and not being as drugged up as he used to be that this album doesn't have the same feel as the original. It's really not possible to regain that level anyways, he should just make an album like Nas did last year called Life Is Good and live off your wealth instead of this recreation of the past that you can't relive.

Ryan

Reaction score
I agree even though lets not disrespect Rick Rubin the man is a living legend and a dope producer. But obviously we need a Dr. Dre produced single. Berzerk has grown on me esp after seeing the music video I will admit though. Really want this album to be mostly produced by Dre, Em himself and Bass brothers but idk if it will.

Apparently rap god is supposed to be a mocking of modern day hip hop hence the beat and at times where his flows is some of the modern day flows so it makes me understand the hook and beat more but still think it should have been done better. Maybe just have part of the song be the obvious mocking and then have an actual good beat that he raps on for most of the song.

I'm not taking away from what Rick Rubin has done, but this is hip-hop and no one has ever done hip-hop production better than Dr. Dre expect maybe DJ Premier depending on who's making the argument.

This album isn't going to have cuts like Who Know and The Way I Am, that's for sure and the singles aren't touching Stan and The Real Slim Shady.

BET Hip Hop Awards were last night which means some new cyphers.

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/2013-bet-hip-hop-awards-cyphers-news.7704.html

They're all on that page. Jon Conner spit a sick verse at the end of an otherwise really average cypher, obviously Slaughterhouse brought it and TDE killed it. Kendrick's verse was vicious. The real husbands cypher was pretty funny. If you listen to that expecting slick raps, you are going to be sorely disappointed. Lil Kim's appearance was a joke.

Last edited:

Chris Dresdon

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm not taking away from what Rick Rubin has done, but this is hip-hop and no one has ever done hip-hop production better than Dr. Dre expect maybe DJ Premier depending on who's making the argument.

This album isn't going to have cuts like Who Know and The Way I Am, that's for sure and the singles aren't touching Stan and The Real Slim Shady.

BET Hip Hop Awards were last night which means some new cyphers.

2013 BET Hip Hop Awards Cyphers

They're all on that page. Jon Conner spit a sick verse at the end of an otherwise really average cypher, obviously Slaughterhouse brought it and TDE killed it. Kendrick's verse was vicious. The real husbands cypher was pretty funny. If you listen to that expecting slick raps, you are going to be sorely disappointed. Lil Kim's appearance was a joke.

I had to think about where I'd heard that instrumental before, the one in the TDE cypher I mean, pretty cool of them to bring some 8 Mile into things. My summary of the cypher is pretty much the same as yours; Slaughterhouse brought it, Jon Connor brought it, TDE and Kendrick brought it, and the Real Husbands cypher was funny, I watch Wild 'n Out so I appreciated Nick's verse and his interaction with Kevin Hart. And yes, Lil' Kim shouldn't have bothered showing up. The cypher's usually a lot more hard hitting across the grid, but this year that isn't the case, which is a shame considering how long I've been looking forward to this year's round.

Ryan

Reaction score
I had to think about where I'd heard that instrumental before, the one in the TDE cypher I mean, pretty cool of them to bring some 8 Mile into things. My summary of the cypher is pretty much the same as yours; Slaughterhouse brought it, Jon Connor brought it, TDE and Kendrick brought it, and the Real Husbands cypher was funny, I watch Wild 'n Out so I appreciated Nick's verse and his interaction with Kevin Hart. And yes, Lil' Kim shouldn't have bothered showing up. The cypher's usually a lot more hard hitting across the grid, but this year that isn't the case, which is a shame considering how long I've been looking forward to this year's round.

That beat was from Shook Ones, Pt II by Mobb Deep first. That's a classic beat I think they sped it up a bit.

[video=youtube;0NUX4tW5pps]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NUX4tW5pps[/video]

I got so hyped when he dropped the lines: "I got my thumb on hip hop and my foot in the back of your ass/ Aftermath get the last laugh" and "Hold up, wait a minute/ Your career ain't shit unless you got some Kendrick in it" and obviously "And nothing been the same since they dropped Control/ And tucked a sensitive rapper back into his pajama clothes."

Last edited:

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
People seem to have that line mixed up thinking it is about Drake cause of the nothing was the same part and the sensitive part but it was really about Papoose.

Ryan

Reaction score
People seem to have that line mixed up thinking it is about Drake cause of the nothing was the same part and the sensitive part but it was really about Papoose.

I originally thought it was toward Drake but hearing the whole thing it's pretty obvious that it's either about both Papoose and Drake or just Papoose. Honestly though, does Papoose think he can win this war? Kendrick will rap circles around him.

Brand new from DJ Khaled's upcoming album: http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/dj-khaled-hells-kitchen-feat-j-cole-bas-song.1637358.html. My most anticipated track. I feel like Cole really brought it with his verse. He laid some nice rhymes. Beats heavy as hell but I think it's pretty great. I would like to know who produced this. The hook is weird but overall I think it's solid. I don't know why Bas is getting this attention all of a sudden with features on both Born Sinner and Suffering from Success. I don't like Khaled in the least, but let's be honest, his album definitely gets you good mainstream exposure. If anyone from Cole's Dreamvillain camp deserves to be getting features like these it's Omen. His verses on Enchanted and The Badness stole the Cole from show at a time when Cole was making every song he was on J. Cole feat. *insert artist's name here*

I mean, Bas is alright. His verse on New York Times had decent flow even if it wasn't overly lyrical and this verse isn't bad but still, Omen's better.

Last edited:

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Any one else ever listen to Mr. Muthafuckin Exquire? Got put on to him recently after watching Dead End Hip Hop videos on youtube (Should check this out if you like roundtable discussions and reviews) Guy is pretty dope esp the Kismet mixtape. Probably throw you off cause he has like this smart ignorance angle to him but it is very interesting and worth listening to.