Hip Hop/RAP Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
[video=youtube;HmAzywfkUQA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmAzywfkUQA[/video]

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I listened to that whole mixtape found myself disliking like 80% which surprised me since he's usually more hit than miss with me.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
I'm with you on that PHX i disliked every joint on it except for the track i posted, but tbf I did just listen to The-Dream's album right before it and I was in "Nothing is gonna touch this" mode so i might give it another listen.

I also wanna listen to the Eve album but then I kinda don't.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Loved this part of the interview.

[video=youtube;GGLimEFY1jc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGLimEFY1jc[/video]

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Wale getting worked up is the best thing ever, he's so passionate about Hip-Hop that his mini-Yaye rants are great.

Reaction score
[video=youtube;jkHI1hGvWRY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkHI1hGvWRY[/video]

This song gets me pumped lol

Ryan

Reaction score
[video=youtube;uFaz2GN8FKY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFaz2GN8FKY[/video]

Been on repeat for like an hour now.

The original was so straight up awful that I hated it, but this remix is straight filth.

Loved this part of the interview.

[video=youtube;GGLimEFY1jc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGLimEFY1jc[/video]

Wale speaking the truth. I agree that nobody really cares about lyrics as far as the mainstream goes anymore. Whenever I'm riding with this one friend of mine, he'll be bumping Rick Ross or Meek or French Montana and I'm just like how do you listen to this shit? He'll just be like bro I don't give a shit about lyrics, the beat gets me hyped. It doesn't even matter what they say as long as it has a nice beat and a catchy hook. I'm so glad Kendrick brought lyricism on GKMC but it's unreal that people immediately accuse him of selling out just because he made it to a major label. It's like you can't even go mainstream without being accused of selling out and it's true most people just want to hear straight forward raps, but why can't it still have a story and some lyricism? Eminem is really straight forward a lot of the time, but it doesn't matter because he uses so many multisyllabic rhymes and just flows so viciously that he is still a great lyricist and I think J. Cole is the same way with his lyrics. How often do you have to listen to a Cole record twice to really get it? That doesn't even matter because he's such a good storyteller that I still consider him to be a good lyricist. Wale goes more of the Lupe Fiasco route. Lupe's music is so complex that I'm still catching stuff after listening to Food & Liquor and The Cool for the tenth time. I'm not saying Wale is quite that complex but he wants it to be nice before it clicks and then really nice after it does. Kendrick is basically above every other mainstream rapper in terms of lyricism at this point but that's good cause he's keeping it alive. Wale's next album should be real nice, I like what I've heard so far. Much less with the MMG bullshit and more just Wale...

... I don't know why they mention Wayne as being nice in that video. Wayne blows. I get it: there was a time when Wayne's wordplays were fresh but they're so stale at this point that he needs to retire. Nothing he raps ever flows together to form a single thought and every bar is a shitty simile. It's pathetic really.

Last edited:

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
The original was so straight up awful that I hated it, but this remix is straight filth.

Wale speaking the truth. I agree that nobody really cares about lyrics as far as the mainstream goes anymore. Whenever I'm riding with this one friend of mine, he'll be bumping Rick Ross or Meek or French Montana and I'm just like how do you listen to this shit? He'll just be like bro I don't give a shit about lyrics, the beat gets me hyped. It doesn't even matter what they say as long as it has a nice beat and a catchy hook. I'm so glad Kendrick brought lyricism on GKMC but it's unreal that people immediately accuse him of selling out just because he made it to a major label. It's like you can't even go mainstream without being accused of selling out and it's true most people just want to hear straight forward raps, but why can't it still have a story and some lyricism? Eminem is really straight forward a lot of the time, but it doesn't matter because he uses so many multisyllabic rhymes and just flows so viciously that he is still a great lyricist and I think J. Cole is the same way with his lyrics. How often do you have to listen to a Cole record twice to really get it? That doesn't even matter because he's such a good storyteller that I still consider him to be a good lyricist. Wale goes more of the Lupe Fiasco route. Lupe's music is so complex that I'm still catching stuff after listening to Food & Liquor and The Cool for the tenth time. I'm not saying Wale is quite that complex but he wants it to be nice before it clicks and then really nice after it does. Kendrick is basically above every other mainstream rapper in terms of lyricism at this point but that's good cause he's keeping it alive. Wale's next album should be real nice, I like what I've heard so far. Much less with the MMG bullshit and more just Wale...

... I don't know why they mention Wayne as being nice in that video. Wayne blows. I get it: there was a time when Wayne's wordplays were fresh but they're so stale at this point that he needs to retire. Nothing he raps ever flows together to form a single thought and every bar is a shitty simile. It's pathetic really.
The thing he said that I liked the most was about how being lyrical has gotten to the point where it is considered a sub genre of hip hop and that is pretty embarrassing. I'm not one of those people who is narrow minded thinking all hip hop needs to be lyrical cause it doesn't as rap needs a balance. Same time though don't think lyricism should get shoved to the side and treated as something "geeks" only like just because some fans of rap aren't very bright. That is why it is important that guys like Kendrick and Cole have success but since they are having success esp Kendrick of course you're going to get the hipster fan turn on him because he is having success and can no longer call him underrated and doesn't feel as "cool" anymore to root for the guy like it was before the success which is Blue.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Lyrics are more important than the beat. That is all I gotta say.

Ryan

Reaction score
The thing he said that I liked the most was about how being lyrical has gotten to the point where it is considered a sub genre of hip hop and that is pretty embarrassing. I'm not one of those people who is narrow minded thinking all hip hop needs to be lyrical cause it doesn't as rap needs a balance. Same time though don't think lyricism should get shoved to the side and treated as something "geeks" only like just because some fans of rap aren't very bright. That is why it is important that guys like Kendrick and Cole have success but since they are having success esp Kendrick of course you're going to get the hipster fan turn on him because he is having success and can no longer call him underrated and doesn't feel as "cool" anymore to root for the guy like it was before the success which is Blue.

Agreed. I almost feel like hip hop heads don't respect Kendrick as much anymore because he isn't an underground guy anymore. I've only been on the Kendrick band wagon since Overly Dedicated but even since then, he's gotten so much better that I gotta respect him for it. I used to think Cole was hands down a better rapper, but even though I'm still a huge Cole fan, Cole isn't killing Kendrick lyrically anymore. Realistically, he probably wasn't ever killing him, but Cole needs this album to be good cause he's really fallen since FNL. I'm all for lyrics though. I can't stand that ignorant shit because when people tell me rap is garbage, I'm inclined to agree if they're citing rappers like Gucci Mane, Chief Keef and Lil Wayne as examples.

Last edited:

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Gucci Mane isn't a Rapper, he's a Comedian.