• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Swinny

Reaction score
He's back: Nick Diaz ends retirement, signs new three-fight UFC deal

Former UFC welterweight title challenger Nick Diaz has ended his retirement and signed a three-fight deal with the promotion.

UFC officials today announced the deal, though financial terms of the contract weren’t disclosed.

He’s targeted for an early-2015 return, though Diaz (26-9 MMA, 7-6 UFC) suggested he could return even sooner.

“I’ve been doing a whole lot of not getting punched around-type stuff,â€￾ Diaz stated. “I’ve been staying in shape pretty good, doing a lot of running. It’s been a good experience having this much time off.â€￾

And for his return?

“Next year I guess, whatever though,â€￾ he stated. “I can fight tomorrow, tonight. You have to do what you have to do. … [I came today] to sort things out with Dana White and Lorenzo [Fertitta].

“It was hard times for a little bit, but people act like I’ve been doing nothing. I’ve been getting some things done. Just because I’m not getting punched around every day doesn’t mean I’m not focused on what I’m doing. Now, here we are.â€￾

Diaz has been on the sidelines since a failed bid to capture the UFC welterweight title from then-champ Georges St-Pierre in March 2013. UFC President Dana White previously said that Diaz had turned down multiple fight offers since the title loss. At one point, the UFC executive said he hadn’t given up the idea of him returning.

Despite his retirement, Diaz has often stayed in the news. Earlier this year, he suggested a comeback was imminent, though he later backed off the claim

More recently, White expressed interest in a potential bout between Diaz and injured ex-middleweight champion Anderson Silva, though the talk ultimately fizzled.

Just this past week, while criticizing Nick Diaz’s younger brother, disgruntled UFC lightweight Nate Diaz, White said the elder Diaz was still a “needle-mover.â€￾

MMAJunkie

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
Nick Diaz signs new 3 fight contract with the UFC.

After spending the last year and few months on the sidelines, it turns out that Nick Diaz will finally be making a return to the octagon as word from UFC.com has officially let it be known that Diaz has just inked a brand new three fight contract with the organization in hopes of making a return in early 2015.

However, Diaz said as far as fight preparation going he could be ready to fight tomorrow if they absolutely needed him to do so.

Nick Diaz said:
Next year I guess, whatever though. I can fight tomorrow; tonight. You have to do what you have to do. ... I came today to sort things out with Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta. It was hard times for a little bit, but people act like I've been doing nothing. I've been getting some things done. Just because I'm not getting punched around every day doesn't mean I'm not focused on what I'm doing. Now, here we are.

Certainly enough many speculate that Diaz is on taps for a superfight with Anderson Silva who will be back right around the same time that Diaz wants to return to action. Diaz also took some time to criticize Anderson Silva's style.

Nick Diaz said:
I'd be interested in fighting Anderson Silva and anything that's going to do well. As far as Anderson Silva, I think that would be a great fight for people to see because he has my type of style.

I think he has a little bit more of a kickboxing style. I think people have pointed that out to him, especially the way he lost his last couple fights. He's working on that now, and he has a lot of work to catch up on as far as his punching. Usually with my style, people have a hard time. You have to come forward if you're kicking and stuff. You got guys that are moving in and out, but I work hard. I don't jump in and out. You can wind up all indecisive out there.

Other names that Diaz may be interested in fighting are UFC Welterweight Champion Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler who Diaz knocked out way back in April 2004. But Diaz is more focused on a shot at the champion in hopes of shutting him up for all the trash talking he's been doing as of recently.

Nick Diaz said:
You got people running around - you got Johny Hendricks running his mouth. People yelling at me that I'm not at Top 10 level. 'You learned to fight by watching me. Your guy that trains you was somebody that was in my era.

We have no idea as of yet who'll be on deck to face Diaz but when we finally learn who's in for it, you can expect the best Nick Diaz yet!

Author: Alex Cochrane
Cited source: UFC.com

----------------------------------------------------------

Well at least we got the better Diaz back. I could care less about Nate.

On another note, I thought it was interesting as to what Nick said about kickboxing. Not all fighters were tentative, and let's not forget Anderson's Muay Thai plumb is probably the most dangerous fighting tactic in the UFC's Middleweight division (although we haven't really seen him utilize it recently). And usually if guys are coming in and out, they're usually faster and trying to avoid strikes from a rangier kind of fighter. Frankie Edgar is one of the best at using the stick and move style.