• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Moonlight Drive

HBK's BTB Kolumn (HBK) is going to a column I'm going to post regularly, anywhere between 2 weeks-4 weeks depending on how I'm going.

Some regular sections....

Interview: Pretty straight-forward

Straight from the Bookers mouth: A question I'll ask several bookers and get their opinion on it

In the Spotlight: Where I'll talk about one of my favourite bookers

The Top Match: A match that really impressed me

HBK's Booker King: Someone who I think has been putting out great shows as of late

Ask HBK: Post some questions and I'll answer 'em

Thought to Ponder: A little note to end the column, my opinion on something towards BTB

Random other parts & rants

First edition up soon, although it's a little outdated. I know I'm pretty new, but give it a chance :)

Moonlight Drive

Keep in mind this was typed up by me about a month ago, so it’s pretty outdated
---------------------------------------------------
HBK’s BTB Kolumn
Edition 1

Hello fellow bookers, welcome to the first edition of HBK, HBK’s BTB Kolumn. This first edition if chock full of stuff, so let’s dive right into it. I hope I don’t disappoint :)

The Booker King
This is where I will put who I believe has been doing a great job with their BTB, and deserves to the Booker King of HBK

This time round, it goes to the same guys, who I interviewed, andwho got the top match, Headfirst for Hardcore and PRIDE. He has taken a unique BTB, and raised it into something incredible. I don’t know if there’s one BTB on this forum, apart from probably HEW, that doesn’t have a Shawn Michaels, an Edge or a Randy Orton in their BTB, but that’s why I am liking PRIDE so much. It’s not your run of the mill WWE or created thread, it’s in a league of it’s own.

So congrat’s Headfirst for Hardcore, I’m probably going to mention you too many times in this edition, but damn man, you’re good, all I can say

An Interview with Headfirst for Hardcore
Well, I'm a huge HFH mark, and I love his work. PRIDE is an amazing promotion I suggest checking ouot, even though I probably mention it too much. Anyway, here's the interview

What inspired you to begin BTB?
-There’s really lots of things that I could say inspired me to start a BTB. I was really tired of seeing what was in WWE and TNA, and it almost became unwatchable to me. In my mind, I could picture storylines and matches that would be so much better than the usual stuff. I talk to people all the time about different storyline ideas. I also am a frequent player of the game EWR, which is where you can run a promotion and all that happens, kind of like General Manager mode if you play the SD vs Raw series. And a third reason to my BTB writing is due to having some more free time as usual, and the place to test my grammar skills.

What keeps you motivated to continue your writing?
-I’ve seen so many BTB’s that haven’t even lasted more than a show, or even a preview. I really have the desire to be the best writer I can. I have so many storylines for PRIDE, I really don’t want to stop when there are so many things planned in the future. There’s a willingness for me not wanting to quit, I really hate giving up on something.

We all know who the big guns in BTB are right now, established bookers like CMS, XBA, etc., but who do you think has the potential to be the next big bookers?
-There have been so many new bookers that have come along in the past month, and most of them that continue with their BTB are doing great. Guys like King Lennie, Brian Kendrick’s Biceps, GardsJr and CT Styles (haha all Aussies) are great bookers, but they just need to stay with one BTB, and so far they're still trying to find their niche, after a couple of failed BTB's. For the newer guys around the BTB section, I have to say that it goes to The Quintastic One, and Magnus. Both of these guys have really fun, unique BTB's. The thing with them is that they rarely get replies to their shows, and not many people have seen their work yet. Two other bookers that I really am a fan of are comicgeekelly and spiralshock, with their independent style rosters.

What do you believe is the most important thing people need to do to make a BTB successful?
-They need to be consistent, to stick with their BTB’s. They have to stick with one BTB and find their niche, their comfort zone. Like I said before, there’s been so many threads created that have so much potential, but don’t even get up to their first PPV. The booker doesn’t even need to have an amazing, out of this world BTB, they just have to be consistent. Just look at the big IWF Bookers: CMS, Anigma, Leviathan, and XBA have had BTB’s that have gone for months. And to stay consistent, the booker needs to be motivated and not worry about reviews or what others think all the time. And another thing is to be unique. If you look at the big BTB’s, they have something unexpected and one of a kind.
BTW – Crushing C and Rikishi feud, the different gimmicks, like Teddie Guerrero and even an interpromotional feud.
HEW – Having someone like Shelton Benjamin as the main champion, and having such a diverse roster with older and younger guys.
XBA’s Raw – The different time frame, being in 2003 I think and being so detailed in promos, not matches.

What is your favourite style of match to write, and your favourite people to use?
-I haven’t really used that many gimmick matches in PRIDE, and I have to say those are tough. My favorite type of match would have to be a fast paced, high flying style of match. That’s the majority of the wrestling I watch on DVD’s, it doesn’t get boring. I could go on forever writing matches in the high flying, cruiserweight style. I also prefer tag team matches to singles matches, things can be broken up easily there. My favorite wrestlers to use in matches have to be CM Punk and Samoa Joe. I’ve watched a ton of matches from them, and they can basically wrestle any style while still staying unique. I really can’t do anything wrong when I have those two in a match, as evidenced in my Punk vs Joe match. For promos, I really am a fan of Jimmy Jacobs’ promos. If anyone has taken notice, I’ve had a promo from him on practically all of my shows. His gimmick is well defined and is a really diverse, round character. His character can range from the crazy, psycho, cult leader to an underdog face that you can feel sympathy for.

I just checked out your latest PPV, and wow, it was incredible. I even gave Punk/Joe my top match in this column, in your mind, where do you think you sit in the ranks, eg. Top 10, Top 5?
-Thanks for the comments on the PPV man, I really appreciate it. I really don’t want to come across as cocky, but I have to say that PRIDE has to be in the top 5. It’s been going for quite a long time, which should show that I’m consistent with my BTB work. It’s one of the only current threads that has over 100 posts. And the thing is that it’s unique, it’s not your run of the mill WWE BTB. That ranking can always change with all the activity happening now in the BTB section, and it’s nice to have some more competition.

In PRIDE, you seem to have a lot of younger/indy wrestlers, like AOTF, Jack Evans, etc., do you prefer doing matches with these guys than the big WWE stars, like John Cena or Triple H?
-I really am an indy fan at heart, and I really can’t stand booking with WWE Wrestlers, oh wait, I mean superstars. The reason I have the younger guys are that they’re entertaining, and something you wouldn’t see on TV. When I was planning PRIDE, I really wanted to make a unique and diverse BTB, and having guys that normally aren’t in BTB’s filled that job perfectly. And the thing with the younger guys is that their matches are more fun to watch, getting more ring time and being less restricted on the independent scene. I really didn’t want a BTB that would have stars like HHH, Randy Orton and Edge in the main event scene. To me, that’s boring as hell. Almost every BTB has the main event WWE guys, and almost every possible scenario and every feud probably has been done. I’d rather have someone like CM Punk or even Austin Aries and Jack Evans to have in the Main Event scene than the WWE guys. I would rather see a match in real life, or someone win a title with the wrestlers mentioned before than the usual WWE guys, and that’s the main reason I use younger guys.

Finally, what advice do you have for younger bookers just starting out?
-I said it already and I’ll say it again; stay consistent. Find an idea that interests you and run with it. Don’t start new threads, try to stay with one BTB and keep on going. Try to be unique, have something that stands out, whether it’s a different roster, some sexy graphics, or some different styles of booking. Try to use an era or a promotion that isn’t commonly used. I remember that my first attempt at a BTB, Dream On Wrestling, wasn’t good at all, even for back then. But the thing that kept it unique with 3 shows was that I used “the past, present, and future of pro wrestling.†Even though the booking wasn’t great, its uniqueness got it into BTB 24/7. New bookers should read the successful BTB’s for some inspiration. They should review other shows to gain a reputation, and take whatever criticism someone has and try to improve on it. That really is all I have to say, because I still feel like a new booker, and I’m getting an interview like this. Be sure to check out PRIDE and support your independent promotions!

Straight from the Bookers Mouth
In this section, I’m going to ask most of the bookers their opinions on a question, and here it is.

Today’s question: Who do you think is the most under-rated booker on IWF?

Brian Kendrick’s Biceps: I'll say who I said in the Insider. Michael1.

Comicgeekelly: WCW Rules. He may not put out shows very often, but when he does they are pure gold. He doesn't get as many readers as he should be having.

The Leviathan: I'll go with TRI, he's one of the greatest bookers here in HEW but he only got a few no. of awards, well, it's not really about the award though lol... TRI have come with so many good ideas for his BTB when he's still active. I just wish he returns in the future with a brand new BTB.

King Lennie: Well I really don't know. There are quite alot of bookers with unrecognised talent but the one with the most talent who still isnt up with the likes of CMS, XBA and Levi would have to be Micheal1. In the BTB Insider we talked about how good he is and if a few more people saw that then he would definatly be a serious contender in the BTB awards and other things.

Ripping

Lately on IWF, there has been a substantial amount of ripping going on lately. One person, who will remain un-named, ripped not one BTB from IWF, but then ripped another onto IWF. And on another forum I’m a part of, someone else ripped VWE. Now there are two sides of the coin to this subject, and I’ve been trying to think as laterally as possible.

On one hand, it could be extremely flattering, why would they do it? To quote one ripper ‘to get recognized’. Now if someone thinks that your BTB is good enough that it will secure them a place as one of the top, then that’s a huge pat on your back for putting out such a good BTB. But then there’s the other side of the coin, where it could be quite insulting. You’ve poured hours of work and dedication into your creation, only to have some dick go copy + paste and get credit for it somewhere else. Personally, I would be extremely pissed off if some little bastard did that to me, although I doubt it will ever happen.

But even looking at it in all possible ways, ripping is just flat out wrong. Everyone, if you recognise a BTB on another forum from IWF, make sure you ask the booker if they started running it there. You never know, it could just be someone trying to rip them off. I just found out Rydog was ripping a BTB, and I think it’s just sad how many people see to be doing it lately.

In the Spotlight
This is ‘In the Spotlight’, where I’ll talk about one of my favourite bookers. And this time, the spotlight goes to WCW Rules.

Right now, WCW Rules has blown me away with everything he has written in his BTB. Every sentence, preview, everything is a literary masterpiece. Whilst some people may get sick of the repetitive style of BTB writing, something which is hard to avoid, WCW Rules turns your standard match into something that reads like a novel, enticing you to read on at every curve. He’s managed to span six months in his BTB already, and his writing prowess never ceases to amaze me.

Even if he doesn’t write out his full shows, I am still entertained by them more than half the other shows on this board. I’m not trying to bash everyone else, but everyone except WCW Rules, including myself, seems to write matches the same way, just simply move by move. Let me give you an example of this, this is what most bookers would write-

Suddenly, HBK goes for Sweet Chin Music. Orton sees it coming and dodges before attempting an RKO, but Shawn shoves him forward before clotheslining him to the outside. He waits for the champion to get up, before diving and hitting a big crossbody!

And WCW Rules can turn that, into this-

All of a sudden, an insufferable magnitude of indignation consumes the challenger and then, Sweet Chin Music! The WWE Champion eludes the oncoming onslaught brought forth by the challenger, and attempts an RKO upon Michaels' return, but no! HBK shoves Orton forward into the ropes, and as he's wrapped up in disarray, HBK clotheslines him to the outside! The fans pop as HBK begins to resemble a man on a mission; his eyes seer with passion and his untamed side begins to take shape in the form of vigor and vim. He glances over at Orton regaining footing, and just as soon as the Champion stands, HBK does the unthinkable; he points to the fans, and then to the sky, and runs to the apron and propels himself off the ropes into a crossbody onto Orton!

He has impressed me more times than I can count, even his previews. He may have only posted one full show, but I love his writing. He has a Royal Rumble PPV coming up soon, I suggest every single one of you go and check it out once he posts it, you shall not be disappointed.

HBK’s Top Match

This time, it was almost a no-brainer. Only maybe an hour or so back, I read an amazing match on an amazing PPV, put together by Headfirst for Hardcore and Pro Wrestling PRIDE. That match was Samoa Joe VS CM Punk.

The Main Event of the show and for the PRIDE Championship, I couldn’t get enough of the Punk/Joe encounter. The story it told and just the match itself were pure brilliance. PRIDE has now officially become a BTB I’m going to read regularly, congratulations HFH, that was one hell of a show, and one hell of a match!

Ask HBK

Got any questions you’d liked to see answered in the next edition? Just post ‘em and they’ll come up next time.

Thought to Ponder
Long Matches on Weekly Shows

This is just a thought for you to think about as we end the first edition of HBK. Frankly, my philosophy towards weekly shows is that they’re not the place to put on blockbuster matches. I believe weekly shows are there to advance storylines and begin new feuds, the PPV’s are where it’s the time to put on a match nobody is ever going to forget.

Now my matches are without a doubt the shortest weekly ones on the board. And I’m not trying to be lazy, that’s just he way I do my shows. But everyone else seems to think that you should put very big quality matches in every week, something I think is just a waste of time in my eyes. The match will not only be forgotten very soon after, but, the purpose of the match will outweigh the ideals of putting on such a good match. The way I see it, why make a 7 paragraph match to have MVP cost MR. Kennedy a championship, when you could do it in one and get the same result. My opinion, my thought to ponder.

Thanks for sitting through the first edition of HBK. Leave plenty of feedback, and please, give me your thoughts on the ‘Thought to Ponder’ and post who you believe should be ‘Under the Spotlight’ next time round. All feedback and advice is appreciated very much

Catch ya later fellas, HBK out

Travis40

This looks pretty good HBK, good job on putting this together. It was a hell of a read.

Qwake

Quite a good read HBK, I enjoyed it. I like all your little different segments and I hope you keep it up :y: (if he is able to do this why were me and BKB not allowed to do ours?).

Reaction score
Wow, good job! This was fun to read, short, informative, and for the first time ever, someone mentioned me!!!

Thanks!

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

Lennie if you are going to be a pain in the ass about him doing this, PM a mod to ask, don't do it in his thread. Jeez.

Anyway man, I think this was pretty good, and I got a mention as a BTB whore (for lack of a better term) from HFH. Nice interview with him, and I hope to see more of your stuff.

I have a couple of questions for this, so should I PM them to you?

NOTE: The above was not a question to be posted in the next column lol.

Moonlight Drive

LOL, lucky you said that I was gonna put 'em in.....

But yeah, post 'em or PM, doesn't bother me

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

Well I'll just post them. No one but -HBK- answer these though or neg rep comes your way.

Top five favourite bookers on the site?

Who are some of the most underrated bookers on the site?

Who are some of the most overrated bookers on the site? (please don't say no one)

The Rated R CMStar

And you got my permission to do this when?...

xtremebadass

Sorry CMS, I gave him permission to do this. We haven't seen one in awhile and thought it cooled down and one wouldn't hurt anyone. Do you want me to move it into the BTB Discussion like BKB's RNR?

Emperor DC

Reaction score
I fail to see the difference between this and various other things, including the BTB Magazine. The only difference being it has one or two different, but not better features and the fact it is written by someone else.

Moonlight Drive

HBK's BTB Kolumn
Edition 2 Preview

Cheap Plugs: A little rant of sorts which all stemmed from a PM I received....

The Awards Retrospective: My opinion on the awards & awards winners

Brian Kendrick's Biceps stops in for an interview

The 3X Booker of Bookers, CMS, is under the spotlight

Thought to Ponder: WWE isn't the only promomtion....

Straight from the Bookers Mouth: We'll find out how the bookers started BTB

Plus all the other regular sections and much, much more

Quintastic One

Reaction score
I will definitely be reading this from now on religiously, cause I was asked a question for the upcoming column. Yay me and getting recognized! lol.