Has Y2J's return been a let down?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Rated R CMStar

To me, we fooled ourselves. Y2J has never been a real main eventer, not even in his prime he was a true, permanent main eventer, and so, looking at it coldly it was stupid for us to think that now would be any different.

To me, he has done pretty well with his return. His mission was to make midcard interesting, and his feud with JBL and HBK were interesting, not high profile, but WWE never intended to do that.

Besides, he has manages to say at a level of overness that if next Raw he comes out and says he wants to challenge HHH for the belt, people will buy it

King Of Kings

Reaction score
That isnt the point.
Mark Henry probably has more wins than losses too, btu that doesnt mean hes a big star.
Yes, Jericho has more wins than losses (according to you anyways)
Yes, Jericho is a big star and a capable main eventer..
But Im saying that so far, he hasnt been in the main event, wheter its his fault or wwe's, he hasnt been in the spotlight so with that being said, Im saying, has it lived up to the hype.
I cant see how anyone can say yes though, because everyone on here when he returned was expecting him to be worl dchamp, be a top guy, etc...
That hasnt happened, so I figured Id give my opinion to my own thread, and thats that its been a dissapointment so far...
SD is where he should be to get more air time and bette rfeuds, THEN he will be inn the ME and do what he was meant to do...

Yea but its kind of hard to be in the main event on raw since there are so many stars. I do agree with you about him going to smackdown i think he could become heavyweight champ.

Y2Jasmine

Reaction score
To be really honest, since when has alot of things really lived up to the hype? Wrestlemania is supposed to be the biggest event of the year. Was it? Do we as fans expect SO much that it is next to impossible for us to be satisfied? When Triple H returned at Summerslam he didnt do much of anything for months after that match besides stand around during the Mr McMahons son storyline. Was that considered a failed return?

I think alot of us assumed Jericho was going to return and then right away he was in a title match. I certainly didnt expect him to win that match. Ever since his return there has been alot of people to take up the slack in the ME. In the mid card division though, they had really nothing going for them. This is also when they were really big on enforcing the wellness policy. So does it make more sense to keep him in the ME when the mid-card was suffering? Not really. Jericho can play both roles. All of us have seen proof of this. Or maybe WWE is thinking long term here. Maybe they plan on having Triple H lose to Cena sometime in the future and then bringing Jericho back up to ME status to get revenge on Cena. That would be interesting.

Right now it seems to me that Jericho is on the line to make a heel turn somewhere in the near future. What with him having the opportunity to smash both HBK and JBL with chairs recently, and just barely pulling back. This is like what they were trying to do with Cena before he was injured. You know that one day he is not going to hold back. He will make the hit and make the heel turn and then we will see a heel Jericho come back and I think thats what its going to take to get him back in the ME picture. Heel Jericho has always been better as far as ratings and everything. We will get back the great promos etc hopefully once Jericho is a heel. Jericho said himself his strengths lie in being a heel.

So was it a failure? No
Was it what we were all expecting? No
Will Jericho ever get a world title run? This is the man who is the first undisputed champ. So yes. But he wont get a run at it until he turns heel, and thats just my opinion on it. Until he is getting heat as a heel, and the fans really dont want him to have it, he wont be a champion.

King Of Kings

Reaction score
To be really honest, since when has alot of things really lived up to the hype? Wrestlemania is supposed to be the biggest event of the year. Was it? Do we as fans expect SO much that it is next to impossible for us to be satisfied? When Triple H returned at Summerslam he didnt do much of anything for months after that match besides stand around during the Mr McMahons son storyline. Was that considered a failed return?

I think alot of us assumed Jericho was going to return and then right away he was in a title match. I certainly didnt expect him to win that match. Ever since his return there has been alot of people to take up the slack in the ME. In the mid card division though, they had really nothing going for them. This is also when they were really big on enforcing the wellness policy. So does it make more sense to keep him in the ME when the mid-card was suffering? Not really. Jericho can play both roles. All of us have seen proof of this. Or maybe WWE is thinking long term here. Maybe they plan on having Triple H lose to Cena sometime in the future and then bringing Jericho back up to ME status to get revenge on Cena. That would be interesting.

Right now it seems to me that Jericho is on the line to make a heel turn somewhere in the near future. What with him having the opportunity to smash both HBK and JBL with chairs recently, and just barely pulling back. This is like what they were trying to do with Cena before he was injured. You know that one day he is not going to hold back. He will make the hit and make the heel turn and then we will see a heel Jericho come back and I think thats what its going to take to get him back in the ME picture. Heel Jericho has always been better as far as ratings and everything. We will get back the great promos etc hopefully once Jericho is a heel. Jericho said himself his strengths lie in being a heel.

So was it a failure? No
Was it what we were all expecting? No
Will Jericho ever get a world title run? This is the man who is the first undisputed champ. So yes. But he wont get a run at it until he turns heel, and thats just my opinion on it. Until he is getting heat as a heel, and the fans really dont want him to have it, he wont be a champion.

I agree i dont see him as champ until he turns heel. It looks like he will turn heel pretty soon actually.

Airfixx

Not much to add.

Y2Jasmin covered many of my thoughts already, but one thing I WOULD say is that they definately took too long to debut him... They should have had him arrive on PPV (around Survivor Series07 IMO) and make a BIG deal out of it... Just felt like a rewind to '99 when he re-debuted on Raw.

Also, to whoever it was above that said the return would have been fine if it wasn't for a leak... Truth is a hell of a lot of people worked out who it was... I'd read long before the videos were airing that Jericho was gearing up for a return (i'm sure Y2J himself mentioned it in an interview around the time when he was getting interviewed a lot during the Benoit saga), plus, there were actually clues in the video.

Granted the casual fans, non-net fans or whatever you wish to call them may have not know about the forthcoming return, but those same folks wouldn't have been party to the leaks you refer to either so the secret wasn't in fact further jeopardised.

Tom_RIP

Reaction score
I was Excited about his 'coded' return (which was obvious that it was him), but i think he failed in the ring in contrast to how he was a few years ago.

King Of Kings

Reaction score
I was Excited about his 'coded' return (which was obvious that it was him), but i think he failed in the ring in contrast to how he was a few years ago.

I think the best thing about him is how he is in the ring. He still uses the same moves as before. Also once he turns heel i think he will be back to the way he was before.