HALLOWEEN - Slashing Through History

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I'd have to disagree. Maybe Halloween 4 isn't near flawless or even really deserving of a 96 but I can say that IMO Halloween 4 is definitely one of the better horror films made. It has everything you could want from a slasher film. Truly likeable characters where you actually care if they live or die, a decent story with good pacing, great kills, an iconic villain, down to earth protagonists and a shocking ending. I could watch this film a million times without getting sick of it, I can't say the same of a lot of the other "great" horror gems. This is looking at it as a stand alone, not even as a sequel. Looking at it as a sequel, it's even better considering they had to start over without JLC and did even better than the sequel with her. Maybe I'm looking at it as a fan boy but I'm fan boy of all slasher films so I can see the bigger picture and I definitely give this film my seal of approval. Whatever that's worth.
You're not really disagreeing with me here, just re-iterating my points that its not near-flawless or worthy of the rating. :lol:

I never said it wasn't a great horror film, because it is, and definitely my favourite of the Myers sequels, but when I think of near-flawless slasher films it doesn't make the list where a film like the original Black Christmas does.

One thing Halloween IV does have going for it is the drunk preacher guy who picks up Loomis. He's probably my favourite secondary character in any Halloween film just because of his cool dialogue and drunken singing. :lol:

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
You're not really disagreeing with me here, just re-iterating my points that its not near-flawless or worthy of the rating. :lol:

I never said it wasn't a great horror film, because it is, and definitely my favourite of the Myers sequels, but when I think of near-flawless slasher films it doesn't make the list where a film like the original Black Christmas does.
Maybe I wasn't disagreeing with what you said about his rating but I do believe it deserves higher than a 7.5 though.

And as far as Black Christmas goes, I like it a lot and do think it belongs in the upper echelon but I would put Halloween 4 higher.

Just my personal opinion.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Let's not forget these gems....

and my personal favourite, after the attendant says "Jesus"...

Horrid.

I don't know, I kinda liked the Jesus line, haha.

But the "It's metal! Goddamnit IT'S METAL!", "What does that mean?", "We're trapped in this house"...Makes me cringe every time.

Now I want to go on record that I freakin love H4, but am aware of its flaws.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Maybe I wasn't disagreeing with what you said about his rating but I do believe it deserves higher than a 7.5 though.

And as far as Black Christmas goes, I like it a lot and do think it belongs in the upper echelon but I would put Halloween 4 higher.

Just my personal opinion.
It's hard to compare the two because they are totally different albeit both slasher films, but I'd lean towards Black Christmas being the better film while Halloween IV is the quintessential slasher sequel.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
It's hard to compare the two because they are totally different albeit both slasher films, but I'd lean towards Black Christmas being the better film while Halloween IV is the quintessential slasher sequel.
I think I'll take that...

Now onto Halloween 5. It'll be interesting to see what we think of his review as we both agree it's pretty underrated.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Personally, I think it's rated just fine. :D

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I think I'll take that...

Now onto Halloween 5. It'll be interesting to see what we think of his review as we both agree it's pretty underrated.

From my usual critical standpoint I gave it a 6.5/10 when I reviewed it, but from a personal enjoyment perspective (again, not how I rate the movies when I review them) I would easily give it a 7.5/10. It's definitely a lot better than people give it credit for, though it certainly has its flaws and one thing in particular is just completely stupid.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
From my usual critical standpoint I gave it a 6.5/10 when I reviewed it, but from a personal enjoyment perspective (again, not how I rate the movies when I review them) I would easily give it a 7.5/10. It's definitely a lot better than people give it credit for, though it certainly has its flaws and one thing in particular is just completely stupid.

Just one?

James Bond

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
I'm gonna say this, you're definitely right when it comes to dialogue. When I do H4's re-adjustment at the end, I will definitely take off the rose colored glasses, haha. Fuji, I can always relate to you since you're incredibly knowledgeable and you always get where I'm coming from, so thank you for pointing out that I missed the correct judgment on some ratings. Also, I just thought I'd point out that when you would rate it 7.5/10, I take that as a pretty high rating since 7.5 looks bigger on a scale of 1-10 than 75 does on a scale of 1-100 for whatever reason ... to me, anyway. That's why I do it out of 100, it feels like it gives me more room to work with. For example, I think Halloween III would look awkward being given an overall of 8.7 out of 10. Haha I found a couple things I want to mess around with on H4, so the 96 will not be staying in the end.

Also, what do you guys think about me adding a new rating to these, as well... WRITING. Not like dialogue writing ... like the themes and whatnot incorporated into the script. Like H4 for example ... McElroy had the theme of evil passing on and whatnot. I think it could be interesting to rate how well the film is written and builds and whatnot. I could also use it heavily on Halloween 6, since the end was re-written without Farrands. Just an idea I've been tossing around. Let me know what you think.

Halloween V and maybe VI will hopefully be ready this weekend.

Thank you guys a ton for your continued interest and support.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Sweet!

Plan on reviewing both the T and P Cuts of Halloween 6?

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
You can certainly add writing to the mix but its important to remember that these aren't exactly earth shattering films from a thematic standpoint. Guy in a mask kills teenagers is pretty much your basic template here, though I do admit that of the big three horror franchises, Halloween does try to get a little deeper.

James Bond

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Well it'd be comparing the writing throughout the series, not on the grand scale hahahaha. But still, it'd fit well in H6 to help explain its jacked ending.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Well it'd be comparing the writing throughout the series, not on the grand scale hahahaha. But still, it'd fit well in H6 to help explain its jacked ending.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. It's cool to look at it from within the series itself but comparing it to films like Casablanca is not going to make it look that good. :lol:

However within the series it could be interesting to see how you feel they progressed the story. I'd also be down with hearing your thoughts on Halloween III's writing and why it really does have a lot more in common with the Myers films than people give it credit for.

James Bond

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Oh yes, I am one of those that feel Halloween III's script was quite intriguing. I'll probably add it in after the series of finished, unless I choose to start it with 5. Also, the bonus reviews come after the adjustments so I have the right ratings to work with.

Also,'scares' is changing to 'scares/intensity'.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
More! I want more! :nodsmile: