Grim Rants About Wrestling

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
THERE HE IS! THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND! VINCENT! :mark:

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Monday Night RAW (January 1st, 1996)

It's the first episode of 1996, and they've got this fuckin' whacky gimmick called the RAW Bowl. :heston

Four teams: The Smoking Gunns, Yokozuna & Owen Hart, Sycho Sid & 1-2-3 Kid, and Razor Ramon & Savio Vega. WWE has decided to go all out, with Earl Hebner even dressed up as a fuckin' football referee, and a bajillion football references by Vince and Lawler. All 8 guys even have "jerseys" with numbers on the back. This is beyond corny (and speaking of, Corny is there too!).

Goldust shows up in the middle of the match to watch longingly at Razor, because that storyline is still going on. Vince McMahon actually throwing out penalty names like encroachment and illegal formations really shows Vince actually watches something other than WWE programming. :lol When Sid gets in the ring, it's absolutely hard to deny that he is over as fuck with this Maryland crowd. Razor gets eliminated after 1-2-3 Kid calls... time out, and then Sid ambushes Razor and knocks him out. Apparently teams can call timeout at least once during the matchup? Hart & Yoko are eliminated when the ref doesn't see Yokozuna call timeout after accidentally squashing Owen. After a bit of back and forth, Razor comes back and fucks over Sid and Kid, costing them the win.

If you can get past the obnoxious football references, Jerry Lawler chatting with some chick named "Miss RAW Bowl", and the weird-ass rules of the match, this... isn't actually a bad match. If anything, it's a bit underwhelming considering four of the talents in the ring are all-time greats: Owen, Razor, Savio, and Sean Waltman.

Oh yeah, and this is the show where the "Billionaire Ted" skits debut, Vader's first on-screen appearance is on this show too, and Kevin Nash squashes Mabel in 8 seconds. So yeah. Not much to see on this show.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Monday Night RAW (January 1st, 2001)

First thing I notice on this show is just how fat and out of shape The Undertaker actually looks. Dude's got a legit double chin almost showing, and his belly grew out a little. The long hair for Biker Taker is also just... such a bad choice. I know that by 2002 he got back into better shape, but this is a ridiculously unflattering look for the Undertaker. He's got a match with Rikishi, who's still in the midst of his heel run. Last week, the team of Rikishi, William Regal, and Kane had decimated Taker and Rock, so this is just another match in that series of matches. It's a pretty good back and forth match between the two guys. There's a spot where Taker tries to go for a Last Ride, but can't get it. So instead Taker wins with... a DDT. Well alright then. Not a short match, but not really a long one. Probably went like 8 minutes, so that's about average for an Attitude Era TV match.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
Whew I been saying this about 2001 Taker for YEARS!

It’s a shame how fat he was. I think they were billing him at like 325-330 and I think that was a shoot cause man his beer belly was something crazy.

That’s one year of a GOAT career I wish I could forget