Grim Makes A Doom WAD

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
New Update:

So it's been a while since I last updated this thread. But I have new news, and a bit of a new change. I have officially changed the music for the WAD to actually include full music. So not only does it have *actual* music, some of the songs have been updated and even changed to new ones! So without further ado, allow me to introduce the new soundtrack thus far:

TITLE SCREEN:

INTERMISSION:

STORY SCREEN:

MAP01:

MAP02:

MAP03:

MAP04:

MAP05:

MAP06:

MAP07:

So there we have it, enjoy some of these awesome themes while I continue to work my ass off putting together some great levels for everyone to enjoy.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
MAP08: Laboratory Entrance (Completed)

If we wanna talk about a map that has it all, this one is definitely it. It is the second proper appearance of the dreaded Cyberdemon, but it too can be completely skipped if you're fast enough, otherwise, prepare for a very close encounter with the badass from hell itself. The opening area in particular is a big combat zone that does not necessarily let up even after you clear it the first time.

Lab.PNG

The map itself is pretty linearly designed though it has several fun hotspots to take care of. There is one little problem that could potentially happen if you don't do a sequence correctly, locking you in with the Cyberdemon until you either die or until you reset the map. This was a slight oversight on my part though not intentional. That said, this layout in my opinion is far more inspired than the tepid and frankly ugly alpha that I originally had.

MAP08Alpha.PNG

As you can tell from watching the video, enemies come at you hard and fast, the most dangerous of them turning out to be the Demons of all things. They can cause an accidental pincer movement on the player through careless action. They and the Arch-Vile are the biggest problems to take care of on the map.

The music in the game comes from the introduction cinematic of a game I reviewed back in 2019: SplatterHouse 2 for the Sega GENESIS. It's a loud, bombastic song filled to the brim with metal music and I felt it made a perfect choice for the chaos of this map in particular.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with how this map turned out and I don't feel that there's anything left to add onto it. It's short, sweet, difficult, but just in that sweet spot where it's not too hard. Next map will be one of my most ambitious yet, when we arrive at: MAP09: Docking Yard

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
The level design and difficulty is really on point to the progression you've made. You still have quite the knack for this, I can't wait to see how the Dock Yard turns out.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
MAP09: Docking Yard (In Progress)

The current map I'm working on is nearly halfway finished, Docking Yard is, as mentioned in my last post, my most ambitious map yet. It is set in a semi-realistic docking yard complete with an entire ship to escape off of. When arriving to the boat, the player is to be assuaged on all sides by shotgunners, chaingunners, imps, and cacodemons. If the player can survive the early onslaught, they next have to deal with the cornucopia of demons. There is a timed switch to allow the player to make it to the next segment, at which point the game becomes exponentially easier.

MAP09Incomplete.PNG

As you can tell, the map layout is a tad out there and unique for this DOOM WAD. There are a lot of hitscanners to pick you off from afar so they'd take top priority. The dock yard in question is also an area you'll have to return to at the end of the level to progress any further.

As you can tell, it is nothing but just pure action all the way through, but with plenty of quiet time to prepare yourself for the next firefight. I think the best part of this whole map is the conjunction with the music. It's rough, rumbling, and feels like this map is going to be tough from the first beat.

With that said, I'm excited to hopefully get this map finished soon so I can move onto the next one. It's been a year and a half since I started this project, and as someone who works for days on end, writes columns, reviews, and BTBs, this is pretty darn good progress nonetheless. I won't be banging out classic maps every week, but if I can finish a quality map every two months or so, I consider that a great victory. The next map hasn't been started yet, so there is no ETA on when I will be posting it.

Reactions: Chris

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Sup everyone. Remember this? Well sad to say I've felt that it's time to abandon this and start over, so coming soon is actually a new set of maps that hopefully everyone can enjoy and are a bit more polished, now that I've taken into account several dos and don'ts of Doom building.

I'm also going to be using Ultimate Doom Builder as my project. So let's hope this one gets farther.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
MAP01
Entrance Hell

MAP01 - Entrance Hell.PNG

Behold, a new WAD, a new map, and this one was just completed in under three days, amazingly. Entrance Hell is a cheeky name, but it isn't as hard as one would believe, especially if you're playing on difficulties lower than Ultra-Violence! It starts off strong though, the main hall has zombie men, shotgunners, chain-gunners, and a few imps to kick your ass. You're working with pretty limited resources as well, very few stim-packs to keep yourself standing, and it only gets worse from there as the number of chain-gunners quickly spirals exponentially, and can make quick work of your character.

The video doesn't really show off all that's going on on the map, but that's just for the player to experience once I finish my WAD. As of now, the current name for the WAD is not set in stone, so I'm going to just be using the working title of "Testwad" until I can think of a name.​

Doom

La Bestia
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
MAP01
Entrance Hell

View attachment 33906

Behold, a new WAD, a new map, and this one was just completed in under three days, amazingly. Entrance Hell is a cheeky name, but it isn't as hard as one would believe, especially if you're playing on difficulties lower than Ultra-Violence! It starts off strong though, the main hall has zombie men, shotgunners, chain-gunners, and a few imps to kick your ass. You're working with pretty limited resources as well, very few stim-packs to keep yourself standing, and it only gets worse from there as the number of chain-gunners quickly spirals exponentially, and can make quick work of your character.

The video doesn't really show off all that's going on on the map, but that's just for the player to experience once I finish my WAD. As of now, the current name for the WAD is not set in stone, so I'm going to just be using the working title of "Testwad" until I can think of a name.​

Very nice work Grim. :D

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
MAP02

Waste Treatment Facility

MAP02.PNG

For a second map, I don't think it's too bad. It's exponentially larger than the 1st map, and it also has just hordes of enemies that can kill you from the jump; 117 monsters in fact; and there's a lovely little thing that can happen after getting the Blue Key too if you're not careful. I initially attempted to design the level in the vain of a factory/facility-type aesthetic, and I think I did rather well. The opening area is akin to a sewer while the rest of the map certainly has a better look. I think this map utilizes Doomguy's full mobility more than my maps have in the past and thankfully it worked out well. The giant room has moving ceilings that I managed to make look like genuine machinery, so that's also a big plus.​

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
REMAKE
MAP01 - Entryway

MAP01 - Entryway.PNG

So turns out, I lost almost all the progress I had made in the previous WAD I was working on so had to start all over. What better way to start over than to tweak and remake the first map I had made here and give it a new coat of paint? It's a harder map, with 80+ monsters on hard mode ready to slaughter you; you shouldn't have too tough a time, there are plenty of secrets on the map, and just barely enough ammo and health to keep you upright if you're careful. That map is also astoundingly short, which can actually make for some fun speedrunning. I have pinned down the estimated lowest time to be approximately 10 seconds.​

Reactions: Doom