GPWT Round 1: The Undertaker (7) -vs- Andre the Giant (10)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Who is the Greatest Professional Wrestler of All Time?

• The Undertaker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andre the Giant

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Veritas

Reaction score
Who is the Greatest Professional Wrestler of All Time?​
Round 1
The Undertaker -vs- Andre the Giant

View attachment 1003 ​
The Undertaker

- 7x WWE World Heavyweight Champion
- 2007 WWE Royal Rumble Winner

The Undertaker ranked 7th in the IWF 50 Greatest Wrestling Superstars of All Time, finishing with a score of 304/450.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_undertaker

View attachment 1004
Andre the Giant
- 1x WWE World Heavyweight Champion

Andre the Giant finished 10th in the IWF 50 Greatest Wrestling Superstars of All Time, scoring a 269/450.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_the_giant

Veritas

Reaction score
To me, this is, if nothing else, the most noteworthy of the first round match-ups. It's a battle of the WWE's Greatest Giants. The past -vs- the....also sorta past but hey, it's OK cause he's a Deadman.

I understand that, in his prime, Andre was very quick and agile, even able to throw a dropkick. But I also understand his agility and such became extremely limited as his career progressed. The Undertaker, while age has certainly hampered him, has retained the ability to still put on damn good matches with the right people. Even close to fifty, with all the injuries he's had, he's still able to walk the top rope and do a damn good looking tope.

I feel Taker was also able to adapt to more styles and tell better stories in the ring. Andre played the role of "pissed off giant" to perfection but, aside from that, what else did he really ever have the chance to do? Undertaker not only mastered that role (or an incarnation of it as the no-selling deadman at the beginning of his run) but he was also able to show weakness with his later characters. Taker's managed to have great matches with good to great workers and even, to a degree, drag some pretty bad wrestlers to watchable matches. In ring ability I'm going to give to Undertaker.

Taker hasn't been given the chance to cut good promos much during his career but, when he has, he's always delivered (his Big Evil run is a personal favorite of mine). The great he's done far outweighs the bad choppy, campy, devil worshipping ones that were really just bad from the beginning as far as the scripts go. That being said - Andre was basically always half screaming-half talking in half-French. It was bad. A master promo he was not. Taker wins promo as well.

Charisma is a tough one. Both guys are such great characters in the history of wrestling that they both seem to have an aura about them no matter what. Undertaker has one of the most impressive entrances I've ever seen and, every time I've seen it, live audiences are stunned. It might sound like BS but arenas get hot as hell during live shows and, each time I've seen Taker live, the whole place seemed to cool down during his entrance. It's amazing. And Andre was, literally, the Giant, man! Most Americans had never seen anything like him and, because he traveled so much, he was always treated as a special attraction. He came to town once in a great while and it was a big deal. I'm going to brazenly call this one a draw.

Andre wins draw hands down. Undertaker has been a main eventer for his entire run in the WWE but it's only been the last few years where his appearences usually mean something. WWE has only recently started treating Taker like the special attraction that Andre was for almost his entire career.

And Undertaker wins accomplishments hands down. His WrestleMania streak alone is more impressive than any accomplishment Andre can legitimately hold claim to.

I'm calling this one for Taker.

Reaction score
This is probably the hardest to call. People who expect a 7ft 450 Giant to have classic matches are fools, just like the fools that rag on the Big Show. Andre was rare, and he to, like the Rock, transcended wrestling, he is, after all, the Greatest Alcoholic of All Time and has a cult following. Not to mention being a legit worldwide draw, and I mean WORLD WIDE. People nowadays can't even grasp the concept of the draw, but Andrew drew everywhere on the planet, the only comparable people in wrestling history to draw as much appeal world wide as Andre are two people; the closest is Bruiser Brody and in a distant third is Flair. It can not be understated how much a draw this guy was and how epic he turning heel is. Seriously, Hulkamania would have flamed out by the end of 87 if Andre hadn't turned heel and that's 100% legit. That body slam got Hogan 7 more years of mileage out of the same act.

Then there's Taker, wrestling's fine wine, he has gotten better with age. And what makes Taker so special is that he is easily the most successful gimmick in wrestling. It is easy to say everyone who wrestle's has a gimmick, but the Undertaker is the epitome of what a gimmick is. Hogan, Austin, Rock, Flair, aren't gimmicks as much as they are personalities. The Undertaker is a dead guy wrestling, in kayfabe terms, and has made it work for 20 years and now he is a spectacle all of his own. He is as close to Andre as there has ever been, except he's had some excellent matches and now his one match at Wrestlemania is usually the most important match on the WWE calendar. I'm really torn on this.

But I'm going to have to give it ever so slightly to Andre.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Had to go with Taker. Andre definitely brought plenty to the ring, and was used to launch Hogan to unseen heights; but the Wrestlemania streak is perhaps the most incredible feat professional wrestling has ever given us. Furthermore, the potential result for whoever ends that streak (barring Kane) could be as iconic as any we've ever seen in wrestling history.

It's a very slight edge in favor of Taker for me.

1chiban

Reaction score
Andre was involved in one of wrestling's most famous angles with Hogan and is beloved in wrestling circles. However, The Undertaker takes it for wrestling ability, legacy (seriously, I swear more people will remember 'Taker than Andre because 'Taker has bridged so many eras of the WWF/E). I find 'Taker so boring now but back in the day he was awesome.