Goldust speaks on using drugs in TNA

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
pwpix.net posted these quotes from his book

"Eventually, and thanks to my dad, I started working for Total Nonstop Action for $1,000 a show. He was the boss, right under Dixie Carter. TNA wasn't doing too well at that point, but I had a job making okay money. I could drive home just about every night. All I was doing was what little I had to do in the ring, then hanging out spending my money on coke, pills, and booze.

"I started making excuses for why I couldn't hang with Dakota. Subconsciously I probably knew I didn't want her around me or my girlfriend because the environment was so toxic. Despite the chaos, I showed up every night for work. I have no idea how I was able to stay on point with work at that time. One of my cardinal rules was never to drink before I worked a match. I wouldn't consider doing coke before a match either. I'd take painkillers, fine. I had been taking painkillers for so long that I had convinced myself I really need them. I was taking medicine because I worked in a tough business. That was the story I had cemented into my mind. But drugs have a way of altering everything, including the stories you tell yourself. Eventually, I started doing a little coke before matches while retaining my vow to never drink alcohol before I go into the ring, as if that was something to be proud of."

Rhodes parted ways with TNA Wrestling after being arrested on April 25, 2005 and charged with misdemeanor battery following a domestic incident with his girlfriend at the Hard Rock Hotel in Orlando, Florida. He would return to the organization two years later as the split personality character Black Reign. He said that time was the hardest period of his life as his painkiller usage increased.

"Every morning, as soon as I pulled myself out of bed, I'd take three Vicodins or Lortabs just to get moving. I was sore and pretty banged up physically, but over time pain pills exaggerated rather than eliminated whatever pain I was feeling. It was a slow process for me to get into the day. I'd get that first rush from pills and then I'd get moving. I might do something around the house, or jump into my truck and drive to the river to work on this book."

He continues disclosing his severe self-medication issues, which culminated with the following in early 2008:

"I was probably taking close to forty pills a day at the end. I was so desperate that I actually bought pain pills from drug dealers because I would run out long before I could find another doctor to write a prescription. If I dropped a pill and it fell into the carpet, I would spend hours down on my hands and knees trying to find it. At the same time I was drinking so much that I'd wake up dizzy and unable to walk.

"Finally, after a three-day binge, I'd had enough. It was raining, I pulled myself up and walked right out the door. The rain was pouring down and I stumbled up a hill near this house where I knew I could get cell-phone reception. Somehow, I managed to call my dad. It was four thirty in the morning. I was falling down the hill in the mud. Ta-rel (his girlfriend) was trying to hold me up. I was scared half to death. I managed to get into the house, soaking wet.

"I had found the bottom."

Rhodes, still affiliated with TNA Wrestling, then reveals calling Ann Russo-Gordon, the liaison between World Wrestling Entertainment and talent who take up the company's offer for rehab. He remained locked away in a rehabilitation center for thirty days to face his demons and was successful. He credits his family and WWE, which he also considers family, for helping him turn his life around. He says he has remained sober since May 20, 2008.

Glad to see he turned his life around and got help, but between him, Jeff, Watts, Waltman, Hall, and Raven all being fucked up while working in the ring there you have to wonder what their management is thinking at times.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I've said many times TNA's drug testing there is a total joke and they seem to want to be so anti WWE in a sense that they just let stuff like that slide for them to feel like they have freedom. That's not to say TNA is to blame for these guys doing these drugs and such the way they do cause it's their decision. But they really don't seem to take their drug testing or lack there of seriously.

But glad Goldust got it together though.

Jay

Reaction score
I've said many times TNA's drug testing there is a total joke and they seem to want to be so anti WWE in a sense that they just let stuff like that slide for them to feel like they have freedom. That's not to say TNA is to blame for these guys doing these drugs and such the way they do cause it's their decision. But they really don't seem to take their drug testing or lack there of seriously.

But glad Goldust got it together though.

I never heard of TNA having a drug testing policy there.

But this is something i didnt know about Dustin. Thats pretty interesting to be completely honest. I will definitely be buying this book.

Kizza

Reaction score
TNA basically have no drug testing policy I believe. It's pathetic and amazing that they haven't had a death there yet.

???

Banned
Reaction score
TNA had a round of drug testing once during the Benoit investigation so that they could tell the people looking into the pro wrestling industry that they were anti-drugs. No action was taken following the tests, despite there no doubt being at least one positive test (all reports I've read said there were many positive tests but that's speculative of course).

Glad to see Goldust got clean. It's good for him, plus, despite the fact he's older, before his injury he was wrestling much better than he was in TNA, showing how much it was all slowing it down too.

AF.

Reaction score
I never knew Goldust was a junky.

The Yeah1993

Reaction score
If I were working for that company I'd probably take drugs as well.

TNA basically have no drug testing policy I believe. It's pathetic and amazing that they haven't had a death there yet.

Chris Candido and Curt Hennig both died under TNA contract IIRC.

???

Banned
Reaction score

Crash Holly too I think. With that said, you can't really attribute any of those to TNA.

Kizza

Reaction score

That's a good point, but I meant more like guys that had been there a long time. They would have been doing drugs during their time with WWE.

Jay

Reaction score
TNA had a round of drug testing once during the Benoit investigation so that they could tell the people looking into the pro wrestling industry that they were anti-drugs. No action was taken following the tests, despite there no doubt being at least one positive test (all reports I've read said there were many positive tests but that's speculative of course).

We wouldnt know about the results of the tests, or the punishments that they may have handed out. TNA is a private company and do not need to release that information.

SAL

Reaction score

Candido's was a botched surgery though, wasn't it? I don't remember drugs playing into that at all. But there's just way too much evidence that TNA doesn't care about drugs. Dixie Carter has said that they regularly test for drugs, but when was the last time you heard about anyone testing positive and TNA taking action?

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Candido died from an infection after the surgery I believe. Hennig and Crash OD'd while working for them. Watts admitted to he and Raven working their feud with DDP high at all times as they got high together. We all know that Jeff is high as he said he was while working for TNA in the Hardys DVD, and that they didn't care about it or if he skipped shows as long as he sold merch.

???

Banned
Reaction score
We wouldnt know about the results of the tests, or the punishments that they may have handed out. TNA is a private company and do not need to release that information.

That's why I said it was all speculative. Did you seriously decide to stop reading before the last line of my response, or do you not know what speculative means? It has to be one or the other.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Whatever happened to that Kurt Angle steroid case when those list of names of wrestlers and such who ordered from a pharmacy came out? Don't recall hearing if he ended up being innocent or TNA just swept it under the rug.

Jay

Reaction score
That's why I said it was all speculative. Did you seriously decide to stop reading before the last line of my response, or do you not know what speculative means? It has to be one or the other.

Its not either one. I was just elaborating on why it would be speculation.