Goldberg's Streak

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Goldberg was one of the few instances during those years of WCW where they were actually doing something extremely well. I never had a problem with the streak and it was very effective at getting him over as a megastar very legitimately. Honestly, the only thing wrong with it was the cheap way it ended. Say what you want about Goldberg and how he wasn't a very talented wrestler, but the guy was a megaton draw and that's all that really matters at the end of the day.

If WCW were smart, they would have came up with a better way to end it, maybe having him lose cleanly to another guy they were home-growing at WCW. I didn't think Nash was a good choice at all because Nash wasn't a draw and already had his run. Not to mention he won cheap as a result of Scott Hall using a stun gun and it was just a complete facepalm after the fact. Can you imagine Undertaker losing his Wrestlemania streak in a similar fashion? People would be sending death threats to the WWE for months. But someone like DDP would have been a good investment.

I bring up the way it ended because after the streak was over, Goldberg wasn't the same guy afterwards. The draw factor they had in him having never been beaten was gone forever and they weren't going to get it back with Nash. Not to mention the icing on the cake which was the FINGERPOKE OF DOOM incident which Nash just laid down for Hogan and handed the title over to him right afterwards, so it wasn't even like they tried anything legit with Nash afterwards. They literally had Goldberg beaten for nothing. Probably the worst booking decision in the history of wrestling if you ask me.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
How exactly did his career fizzle out? You seem to be a bit brain washed by the WWE, as the winner rewrites history as it always does: they tend to only mention Goldberg in such a capacity as as an emblem for the fall of WCW once the streak ended.

So remind me, why was it Goldberg that main event the top grossing WCW shows of 1999 again?
Why did he have the best match of his career in 2000 against Scott Steiner (and a blinding feud too). Why did he earn some of Japan's biggest ever payouts in 2002?
Why was his move to WWE in 2003 such a huge deal and talking point?
10 years later his name is CONSTANTLY mentioned despite having NOTHING to do with any wrestling product or promotion.

Yet you claim his career fizzled in 1998?

Having the odd good match does not make you still great (if he ever was), and Steiner was still pretty hot at that point.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Having the odd good match does not make you still great (if he ever was), and Steiner was still pretty hot at that point.

Steiner was hot? The same guy who had to stop a match because he threw his back out running the ropes around this time? LO-fucking-L.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Steiner was hot? The same guy who had to stop a match because he threw his back out running the ropes around this time? LO-fucking-L.

Thanks... I don't know I just think when the character started it was pretty edgy and his in ring performances had not hit rock bottom like they had by 2003.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Thanks... I don't know I just think when the character started it was pretty edgy and his in ring performances had not hit rock bottom like they had by 2003.

Never thought of Steiner as edgy, he was still incoherent in his promos, but I guess his saving grace was him shooting at the likes of Flair and Hogan.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Never thought of Steiner as edgy, he was still incoherent in his promos, but I guess his saving grace was him shooting at the likes of Flair and Hogan.

His promos were a mess I'll give you that one.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Steiner was great for the LULZ factor if nothing else. He was one of those guys that had all the confidence in himself in the world that it was hard to not be amused. He definitely wasn't good on the mic by any means, but confidence goes a long way. A wrestler could be the biggest piece of crap in the world, but if he sincerely believes he's the hardest motherfucker on earth and goes to ridiculous lengths to state that case, I dunno, it's just hard for me to dislike them.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Steiner's, but I'd much rather watch him over most people today.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Steiner had every right to be as cocky was if I'm going to give him some props, he was as legit as it gets for WCW during that time. NCAA wrestler, built like a freight train and could tie anyone up in knots. But alas, he still reaked of Ultimate Warrior roid rants tbh.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Steiner had every right to be as cocky was if I'm going to give him some props, he was as legit as it gets for WCW during that time. NCAA wrestler, built like a freight train and could tie anyone up in knots. But alas, he still reaked of Ultimate Warrior roid rants tbh.

Trouble is it was not natural, yes he was built, but he also had far too much muscle mass and after awhile became very out of shape.

FalconPunch

Reaction score
Best match with Scott Steiner in 00? Now I know you blinded.

Goldberg was gone most of 99, left to do nothing when 00 came around and appeared infrequently in WCW right up til their death. It isn't right saying he fizzled out after 98, but it is just flat out false, claiming he was as big as he was after that year.

Plus he was a shit MMA commentator.

You seem to have confused best match, with somehow meaning most over...

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
You seem to have confused best match, with somehow meaning most over...

Hardly.

Was still a shit match, Steiner working with Goldberg was like Tank Abbott working with Goldberg. Makes his Brock Lesnar match look like Austin/Hart in comparison. Plus the only guy to get any type of good matches out of Steiner in that period was Booker T.