Gilbert Melendez To Be Offered Fourth Thomson Fight

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
The outcome of several fights slated for "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy" could play a big part in Josh Thomson's next move.

But in the meantime, the former lightweight champ told MMAjunkie.com Radio (MMAjunkie.com Radio | MMAjunkie.com). that Strikeforce plans to offer current champ Gilbert Melendez a fourth fight against him.

"From my understanding, they're going to offer him the rematch, and if it doesn't happen, it's not because of me," Thomson said. "I just want everyone to understand that."

If Melendez (21-2 MMA, 11-1 SF) declines, Thomson (19-5 MMA, 10-2 SF) said Pat Healy (27-16 MMA, 5-1 SF), who meets DEEP champion Mizuto Hirota (14-4-1 MMA, 0-0 SF) on the preliminary-card of Saturday's event, is on deck as the next contender should he be victorious.

Thomson will then fight either Jorge Masvidal (22-7 MMA, 4-1 SF), who on Saturday meets Justin Wilcox (11-4 MMA, 5-2 SF), or Strikeforce vet Caros Fodor (7-2 MMA, 5-1 SF).

Thomson cautioned that this broad sketch of the title picture could all change depending on the performances seen on Saturday.

"I'm fine with whoever," he said.

Undoutedly, he'd like the title shot. He and Melendez fought a third time at "Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final," and Melendez edged out a split decision that was loudly booed. Melendez earned a unanimous decision three years prior, which avenged a unanimous call for Thomson that won him the Strikeforce belt. (Thomson was later unable to defend the belt due to injury, and Melendez picked up an interim title before unifying the belts in their second meeting.)

All three fights were exciting, action-packed affairs. In the buildup to the rubber match, however, Melendez openly griped about not crossing over to the UFC. He felt Thomson didn't advance his career, but nonetheless fought.

Thomson estimates he has between two and three years left in his career. But a revamped training schedule has done much to minimize the bumps and bruises he's accumulated in 11 years of fighting MMA.

He may not get another shot at Melendez, of course, but is hopeful that should Healy fight Melendez and win the title, he'll get another chance to be champ.

Please not another Melendez/Thompson fight ever again. Either Kill the division or move Gil to the UFC.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Never seen this guy but always hear people saying he should move to the UFC because he's supposedly one of the pound for pound best fighters. The fact that he is being offered a 4th fight against the same guy in not even the #1 promotion kinda speaks volumes how little there is for him to do over there.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Everything you said is 100% accurate. He's probably number 2 or 3 lightweight in the world. He's cleared out the entire Strikeforce LW roster the last few years.

Every so often Dana and the UFC will say they're going to send a few Lightweights from the UFC over to fight Melendez, but nothing ever happens from it.

Last edited: