Fudging the Crowd Sounds?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Do you believe that the WWE alters crowd audio levels during certain shows? I've been saying for YEARS that Smackdown is canned. If you really pay attention, you can tell that the crowd sounds exactly the same for the jobber-lower card guys (who would NOT draw a pulse from the crowd) as it does for some of the mid-carders.

I also believe they edit smark chants like "Fuck you Cena!" or "This is boring!" when WWE is in certain territories (namely Canada, they've got the best fans, lol).

Your thoughts?

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
It's quite known that they edit stuff, lol.

I never understood why they edited Finlay's music on TV. He would come out to his old music but on TV, they changed it to Hornswoggle's.

hndsmepete

Reaction score
Yes they do & have been doing it at least since the late part of the Attitude era. That's when I first really noticed it. It stuck out a lot when The Rock was trying to be a heel again after his movie career started, all the big pops for him would be deafened on tv by loud boos that just sounded artificial. You can always tell when there is a loud live crowd chant of "insert name" Sucks followed by a LOUD chant of "insert name" rules or whatever pro chants there are. WCW used to do it all the time, they even used to use cardboard cutouts placed into the upper decks to make the arenas look filled out & actually hire people as seat fillers. WWE just tarps off areas that are unsold. They also "sweeten" crowd noise at some NFL games. CBS was caught doing it last year during a Jets game on the tv feed. Its always done at Smackdown since its taped & they can alter crowd noise in post production, but is done live at Raw as well. I don't really recall hearing it at any PPVs. All this does is train the crowd on who to cheer for & who to boo, Vince is known for wanting trained crowds.

Reaction score
WWE is a corporate entity, first and foremost. They have images to protect and directions they want to go. It's very rare they alter plans based solely on crowd reaction. Exceptions exist like Hart/Austin and Hogan/Rock but normally they do what they need to like the crowd and John Cena.

CMS

Reaction score
Vince is known for wanting trained crowds

Him letting the crowds cheer the heels and boo John Cena go against that notion tbh

hndsmepete

Reaction score
Him letting the crowds cheer the heels and boo John Cena go against that notion tbh

Not exactly, Vince can't control what crowds yell unless it is swearing or dangerous like someone yelling fire. You do either of those & you are thrown out & in the case of yelling something like fire you are arrested. In the case of pumping crowd noise in, they used to do it with The Rock every single time he got beat down as a face you'd start hearing piped in crowd noise saying "Rocky, Rocky" & then a real crowd chant would start. That's called training a crowd, similar to things they do at sporting events, like putting up defense on the big screen for the crowd to chant it. He has said over the years in interviews that he trains the crowds on who to boo & cheer for. When was the last time you saw Anti-Cena signs? Ever hear that they get confiscated by security? Ever notice how some of the signs look a little too well made to be done by a kid in the front row?

xtremebadass

Reaction score
WWE definitely fixes the SD crowd every single week. The same generic sounds are heard during each match and each backstage segment. That is no secret.

I am still surprised they didn't censor Cena vs. Triple H on the WM22 DVD.

DirectTV ran a WM special where they showed that exact match but with the crowd altered. It was the worst thing I have ever seen. It just looked and sounded wrong because without the crowd, damn that match sucked.

CMS

Reaction score
I am not saying WWE doesn't edit things on Smackdown or do things like the one you say about The Rock. However, I just don't think it's about Vince training the crowd on who to cheer and who to boo. Of course he's gotta indicate us, the business dictates under the heel/babyface premise and more often than not programs get compromised because of that line being crossed.

However, when you see WWE booking around Orton's mixed reactions, embracing Cena getting booed as a trait of his character. Things like giving signs to the crowd are meh. Yeah some of them look elaborate. Then again, so did that Batista likes fishsticks one and that definitively wasnt given away by WWE.

Oh, and when was the last time I saw an Anti-Cena sig? Yesterday, at Mania. I even saw guys in the front row with Anti Cena shirts.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
Not exactly, Vince can't control what crowds yell unless it is swearing or dangerous like someone yelling fire. You do either of those & you are thrown out & in the case of yelling something like fire you are arrested. In the case of pumping crowd noise in, they used to do it with The Rock every single time he got beat down as a face you'd start hearing piped in crowd noise saying "Rocky, Rocky" & then a real crowd chant would start. That's called training a crowd, similar to things they do at sporting events, like putting up defense on the big screen for the crowd to chant it. He has said over the years in interviews that he trains the crowds on who to boo & cheer for. When was the last time you saw Anti-Cena signs? Ever hear that they get confiscated by security? Ever notice how some of the signs look a little too well made to be done by a kid in the front row?

I watched a 'secrets of wrestling' show years ago and they actually said that some of the signs are pre-made by workers and are handed out to the crowds when they come.