Frankie Edgar says Cub Swanson "makes sense for him".

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
Frankie Edgar solidified any doubt that he belonged on the top of the ladder with his win over BJ Penn in the main event at The Ultimate Finale 19 (well technically he did in the second fight). But from this point on, he wants to continue climbing and defeating the upper echelon of the featherweight division.

And after Cub Swanson leapfrogged him in the rankings, that's exactly who "The Answer" wants to test his skills against. Edgar explained his reasoning in a post fight interview with Fox Sports 1

Frankie Edgar said:
I see I’m No. 3. They moved Cub Swanson ahead of me, so, it only makes sense fighting the guy ahead of me. I want to fight again before the year is out.

Cub Swanson appearred to be next in line for a title shot after defeating Jeremy Stephens a few weeks ago. But with the recent cancellation of UFC 176 it may be a while before we see the So Cal fighter take to Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo in action.

With Edgar fresh off this victory it could very well make sense for the two to have a clash.

Author: Alex Cochrane
Cited source: Dana Becker (fightline.com)

--------------------------------------------------------------

I still see holes in Cub's game, especially in the Stephens fight. He started out very slow and against Aldo that's the worst thing you could do.

A tune up fight against a guy like Edgar who paces himself over the course of rounds would definitely show improvement. Should he get a quick finish over somebody like that or even overwhelm him in the first couple of rounds.. he may get my vote.