Frankie Edgar, B.J. Penn selected as 'TUF 19' coaches, will meet at 145 pounds

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
The UFC's pound-for-pound king of rematches will takes part in another career trilogy.

UFC officials today announced that former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar will face for a third time former dual-division title holder B.J. Penn in a featherweight showdown.

The matchup, which was revealed on Wednesday's new edition of "UFC Tonight," is scheduled to take place after the two serve as coaches on "The Ultimate Fighter 19," which debuts in January. Edgar and Penn are expected to fight at an as-yet-undetermined event.

Edgar and Penn (16-9-2 MMA, 12-5-1 UFC) met twice in 2010, with "The Answer" victorious over "The Prodigy" in both contests. At UFC 112, Edgar claimed the UFC lightweight title. He then defended the belt four months later at UFC 118. Both results came via unanimous decision.

UFC President Dana White said he booked the fight after Penn informed him he had a burning to desire to avenge his two losses to Edgar.

"He says, 'I can beat Frankie Edgar,'" White said. "The two first fights were BS. I want that fight agin. I want to beat this guy so bad. It's all I want."

Edgar, of course, fought as a lightweight for the majority of his career. However, he made the drop to 145 pounds earlier this year for a failed bit to unseat champ Jose Aldo. In July, he bounced back with a win over Charles Oliveira.

Meanwhile, Penn is a former titleholder at both 170 and 155 pounds. However, the fight with Edgar would mark his first at featherweight, and if he could find a way to make a championship run, he could become the first fighter in UFC history to earn titles in three different weight classes.

Penn previously served as a coach on "The Ultimate Fighter 5," which aired in 2007. "The Ultimate Fighter 19" is expected to feature light heavyweight and middleweight UFC hopefuls. Filming begins in Las Vegas in mid-October.

Well this came out of no where, I'm cool with this though. A little bit of back history between the two of them. And Penn at these lighter weight classes might be a way for him to redeem himself.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
The trilogy no one called for, first fight was close, but the second was all Frankie, BJ looking for a TV paycheck, if he was dropping weight classes, why didn't he just ask for Aldo? Doubt anyone cares about his two fight losing streak.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Really? This? Really? I'm sure they'll be good coaches and the contestants should be good and exciting... but I do not want to see Penn vs. Edgar again.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Pointless, basically just a gimmie fight for Edgar. He's already beat Penn twice already and BJ's only gotten older and slower since then.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Weird choices.

TUF needs conflict to be interesting, the seasons where Shad and Page, Tito and Chuck hated each other, compare them to Brock vs JDS for example.

Edgar is too nice, BJ can be a dick but whats the point. Fail season IMO.

Chase

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
Penn I thought retired.

Frankie vs Penn 3 is a big pass too me. Unless its a co-main to a bigger fight.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Weird choices.

TUF needs conflict to be interesting, the seasons where Shad and Page, Tito and Chuck hated each other, compare them to Brock vs JDS for example.

Edgar is too nice, BJ can be a dick but whats the point. Fail season IMO.

Agreed. TUF seasons where they just praise each other and talk about respect is dull as shit, even if its staged (which most of the conflict probably is) conflict is entertaining.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Should have been Chael/Wandy.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
A trilogy fight usually happens when both guys share a win. Edgar and Penn had a pretty good first fight but that second fight was so horrible there isn't a need for a third one.

This season... I'm only interested in the fighters since they finally getting some bigger ones. Middleweight and light heavy cause for the past few seasons its been welterweight and below.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Wasn't the last one Middleweights with Chael and Jones?

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
This whole show is about as beat up and tired as a Rocky script tbh, when was the last guy to win this show who was worth a shit? Big Country?

Doesn't matter what weight classes are used, they just don't get decent fighters, the first few seasons were great because of the calbre of fighters they brought in. Whoever does the scouting for these shows needs to find another job imo.

Bring back The Comeback season, where you get fighters who have been cut, but had the potential to top contenders and you got yourself a season full of great fights and personalities you are already aware of.

Fuck these newbodies. And Big Brother type bullshit. I want good fights, not a focus on coaches and what goes on in a frat house.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Problem with a comeback season is most UFC's washouts have gone to WSOF or Bellator.

Loved the one with Kimbo on though.

Honestly I wouldn't mind a legends one with a bunch of old ass bums like Matt Hughes and Phil Baroni, TUF needs some sort of gimmick.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Problem with a comeback season is most UFC's washouts have gone to WSOF or Bellator.

Loved the one with Kimbo on though.

Honestly I wouldn't mind a legends one with a bunch of old ass bums like Matt Hughes and Phil Baroni, TUF needs some sort of gimmick.

Tim Sylvia? We all know he really wants to come back.

Kassidy

Reaction score
feel bad for everyone picked on BJ's team, He was terrible on the show vs jens