Fourthy Talks Random Films & Stuff

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
Figured I'd finally get this up and running rather than placing all of my reviews in the WS Movie Log Discussion thread all the time. It'll probably be a lot cleaner.

The Gift (2015)
81Mlpz-OlwL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Plot: A couple, Simon and Robyn, run into Gordo, an old acquaintance. Gordo then begins to drop in unannounced at their house and inundates them with mysterious gifts and a murky secret from the past.

This is a very great film I feel often gets overlooked and deserves more attention. If you're in to those movies that are very heavy dialogue driven for the most part with tons of mystery then I think you'll be very happy with it. It has a great core cast with Rebecca Hall, Jason Bateman and Joel Edgerton. Bateman and Edgerton in particular are really stellar in it. I love the character development and the way you learn more about the characters past as it goes on. The tension it builds up is really great.

Flashback (2020)
MV5BOWZjNWFjODUtMTRhZi00MDBkLWJkYjctYmNjNmI0NWQ0NjRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTg4MDYyNw@@._V1_.jpg

Plot: Fredrick Fitzell starts having horrific visions of a girl who vanished in high school. He reaches out to old friends with whom he used to take a mysterious drug but soon realizes the only solution lies deep within his own memories.

Never heard of this film before, it just popped up on Prime Video. I liked the cast. I've been a fan of Dylan O'Brien since Maze Runner, I thought he was really good in that. Maika Monroe is a favourite of mine due to It Follows and countless other films she's been in. Both of them ended up being great in this too, I really enjoyed their performances a lot. It's a very interesting movie with quite a complex story, very slow burn but I liked the vibe of it a lot. It built up some great atmosphere throughout. I was consistently interested to see where it was going to go and it definitely got my brain racking quite a bit. Always nice to find a fun, unique film that went under the radar.

Midsommar (2019)
MV5BMzQxNzQzOTQwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDQ2NTcwODM@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Plot: Dani's psychological trauma affects her relationship with Christian, her lover. However, when they visit their friend's ancestral commune in an effort to mend things, it changes their lives forever.

This is one of those horror films that really had such a profound effect on me. The slow burn of it is so well executed. You constantly feel on edge and tense, even when nothing is really happening. Just the whole vibe of Midsommar is really uncomfortable and unnerving. I like that the main characters themselves are really flawed, it makes them feel more like real people. It's such a unique experience and a really just unsettling trip the further it goes on. It really leaves you afterwards just thinking about it a lot, one that really lingers in the mind for a while. Florence Pugh is absolutely amazing.

King of New York (1990)
king-of-new-york.jpg

Plot: Frank White, a former drug lord, returns to New York to destroy his competitors and steal from them. The money he acquires, he intends to distribute among the poor of the city.

This is a 90's crime film that pretty much does everything right. It's got that great gritty New York City setting and vibe, tons of great characters and it boasts a really impressive cast with a lot of names you will no doubt recognise. Story is pretty engrossing too. Christopher Walken is excellent, he's so ruthless, cold and calculating in this. It certainly doesn't shy away from the violence either, some very brutal death scenes.

Last edited:

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Saving Private Ryan (1998
MV5BZjhkMDM4MWItZTVjOC00ZDRhLThmYTAtM2I5NzBmNmNlMzI1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDYyMDk5MTU@._V1_.jpg

Plot: During the Normandy invasion of World War II, Captain John Miller is assigned the task of searching for Private James Ryan, whose three brothers have already been killed in the war.

Saving Private Ryan I would say is the benchmark for War films. It's unlikely to me it will ever be topped in terms of visuals, drama, sound design and storytelling. It just did everything right. You really feel like you're in the thick of it with the characters and every scene just has a massive emotional impact. Spielberg crafted such a masterful piece of work that never ceases to amaze, shock and make my heart race. Amazing film.

12 Angry Men (1957)
12_Angry_Men_%281957_film_poster%29.jpg

Plot: In a hot jury room in New York City, 12 men discuss the innocence or guilt of a teenager accused of murdering his father. As time passes, they begin to question their own values and morals.

Easily in my top favourite films and some of the most engaging and incredible dialogue you're likely to hear. It often times feels like you're just watching real people talk and interact because it is so natural and convincing. It really goes to show how you can carry a film and craft an amazing experience just by actors talking on screen and letting a lot of the lines and dialogue carry the drama and action.

Get Carter (1971)
MV5BY2JiOTJhODQtNjhlOS00MDUyLWI0YzktY2M0ODkyYWUwOTMyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_.jpg

Plot: Jack Carter, a notorious London gangster, leaves behind a trail of blood in Newcastle while on a quest to avenge his brother's death.

One of the essential British gangster flicks. Just an absolute classic and Michael Caine is perfect for the role. He's so effortlessly cool and ruthless.

The Godfather Part II (1974)
MV5BMWMwMGQzZTItY2JlNC00OWZiLWIyMDctNDk2ZDQ2YjRjMWQ0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_.jpg

Plot: Vito's popularity in the underworld is on the rise, while his son, Michael's career is swinging downwards. In order to redeem himself, Michael must fight his enemies, including his own brother.

I'm in the camp that prefers this to the original Godfather. Mainly due to the fact Michael Corleone is the main focus of this and you get to see even more incredible character development and Al Pacino delivering some of his finest work. It's long, but it never feels that way. It flies by whenever I watch it. The past stuff with Robert De Niro playing a younger Vito is also incredible.

Airplane! (1980)
MV5BZjA3YjdhMWEtYjc2Ni00YzVlLWI0MTUtMGZmNTJjNmU0Yzk2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_.jpg

Plot: Ted Striker, a former pilot who has a fear of flying, finds himself burdened with the responsibility of landing a plane safely when most of the crew and passengers fall sick due to food poisoning.

One of the funniest comedies ever. It really doesn't feel like it has aged a day since it came out in the 80's. Still so incredibly funny and the lines all land beautifully. Some of my favourite cast chemistry and dialogue out there.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
The Avengers (2012)
p8815512_p_v8_ax.jpg

Plot: S.H.I.E.L.D. leader Nick Fury is compelled to launch the Avengers programme when Loki poses a threat to planet Earth. But the superheroes must learn to work together if they are to stop him in time.

Whilst this would get suprassed by later installments, it's still fun to go back and watch it. The cast all have such great chemistry and it's got a really feel good energy about it. You can tell they were just having a blast making it and it shows. It's really such an easy watch and back when it first came out it was so dope to see all these actors sharing the screen together. It felt super fresh.

Chinatown (1974)
MV5BMjJkMDZhYzItZTFhMi00ZGI4LThlNTAtZDNlYmEwNjFkNDYzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_.jpg

Plot: Mrs Mulwray hires Detective Jake, who specializes in matrimonial cases, to spy on her husband, the builder of the city's water system. He finds himself in a web of deceit when Mr Mulwray dies.

So incredibly engrossing. I'm a huge fan of neo-noir films and this is pretty much perfection as far as that genre is concerned. Jack Nicholson has plenty of all-time worthy performances in his career but I would definitely say this is his strongest by far. Everything about this film is just on point from the casting, visuals, sound and storytelling. It really holds up and I think that everybody should see it at least once. It's an excellent piece of film.

Back to the Future (1985)

p8717_p_v8_ac.jpg

Plot: Marty McFly, a 17-year-old high school student, is accidentally sent 30 years into the past in a time-traveling DeLorean invented by his close friend, the maverick scientist Doc Brown.

Timeless (no pun intended!). BTTF is one of those movies I could easily just watch on repeat all day long and not get tired of it. There's so much to apprciate about it and it's just such a fun time. The soundtrack alone is just excellent. The chemistry between Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd is really wonderful. This was definitely the film that kickstarted my love for the time travel genre.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
MV5BMGU2NzRmZjUtOGUxYS00ZjdjLWEwZWItY2NlM2JhNjkxNTFmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Plot: When John, Sarah's 10-year-old son is attacked by T-1000, a new robot created by Skynet to destroy humanity, Terminator takes it upon himself to fight T-1000 to save John and the human race.

One word to sum up this movie: badass. Man it kicks so much ass. It's impossible not to have a good time watching this. Arnie is really in top form and I love how it takes the concept of T1 and just totally spins it around having the antanogist become the protagonist. It works super well. So many amazing action scenes that hold up and just an action packed thrill ride from start to finish.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Green Book (2018)
MV5BYzIzYmJlYTYtNGNiYy00N2EwLTk4ZjItMGYyZTJiOTVkM2RlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY1NDk1NjE@._V1_.jpg

Plot: Amidst rampant racism in the 1960s southern America, an African American pianist hires an Italian American bouncer to drive him through his venues. They come closer in the course of their journey.

This was amazing. One of those films I came away from feeling a lot of emotions, I was totally captivated by it. Thought it was such a beautifully told story and I was smiling by the end of it. Incredible character development and chemistry between Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali. They are so fun together. The music is also amazing, I really enjoyed it a lot and it was a massive highlight of the whole experience. Definitely one to watch, Ali is such a fine actor. One of the best around right now.

Citizen Kane (1941)
Citizen_Kane_poster%2C_1941_%28Style_B%2C_unrestored%29.jpg

Plot: When a famous tycoon utters a mysterious word before dying, a journalist embarks on a journey to uncover the secret behind it.

Whilst Citizen Kane doesn't make my personal top favourite films, it is one I certainly highly appreciate and enjoy. Even more so on this recent watch when I watched it with the commentary tracks. Roger Ebert speaking over it and really going in to detail about the process behind it really just made me realise even more how influential this was in a lot of ways, especially the filming techniques used. It's really one that is fun to watch and to see how far filmmaking has come and how Orson Welles was so ahead of the curve. Incredible piece of film.

The Day After Tomorrow (2004)
MV5BNWNkNzljZjktY2MwNi00OWExLTliNTMtOTk0NGU2ZDQ3ZTEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Plot: When a sudden worldwide storm begins to plunge the entire planet into a new ice age, paleoclimatologist Jack Hall undertakes a dangerous trek to New York City to save his son from the disaster.

This has always been a favourite of mine when it comes to disaster films. I love the concept of a new ice age and the visuals whilst showing their age were quite impressive for their time. The scenes in New York are amazing, especially the flooding scenes and the big waves destroying all of Manhattan and the shots when it's been all frozen over, I love those scenes. As with most in this genre you have to supsend your disbelief quite a lot. I think the cast is what really makes this film what it is, plenty of top tier names. Dennis Quaid really puts in a great performance, I also enjoy Jake Gyllenhaal and Emmy Rossum a lot.

Darkest Hour (2017)
8ec6ed496840363bdfebf378e8f599c1.jpg

Plot: British Prime Minister Winston Churchill is faced with a tough choice as he must decide whether to sign a peace treaty with Adolf Hitler's Germany or continue fighting the war against them.

Love watching anything set around this era and I really enjoyed the tone of this film a lot. Gary Oldman was absolutely amazing as Churchill, his performance just blew me away. I've seen him in a lot of things by now and I can easily say this is one of his most impressive and finest performances. It's definitely worth watching just for his work in this. The film itself was entertaining and enjoyable with some great visuals. Flew by for me.

Reactions: Chris

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
The Wailing (2016)
Poster+-+Wailing.jpg

Plot: When an outsider visits a village, its inhabitants experience a mysterious epidemic. A police officer then tries to solve the mystery behind the outbreak to save his sick daughter.

Really incredible movie. So intense, disturbing and just an absolutely wild watch from start to end. Really pulls you in and gets under your skin. Super interesting premise as well. Definitely a lot of moving pieces to it that keep you thinking and with a lot of questions.

Hacksaw Ridge (2016)
MV5BMjQ1NjM3MTUxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDc5MTY5OTE@._V1_.jpg

Plot: World War II American Army Medic Desmond T. Doss, serving during the Battle of Okinawa, refuses to kill people and becomes the first man in American history to receive the Medal of Honor without firing a shot.

Big fan of War films and I like that this did something a lot different. I liked the true story behind it and the focus on a combat medic during the battle scenes. It's such a powerful and emotional film and Andrew Garfield is amazing as Desmond Doss. The characters are all so well developed.

Snatch (2000)
MV5BMTA2NDYxOGYtYjU1Mi00Y2QzLTgxMTQtMWI1MGI0ZGQ5MmU4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_.jpg

Plot: In the underbelly of London, merciless gangsters, boxing promoters, amateur thieves and violent bookmakers try to retrieve a precious diamond stolen from an Antwerp jeweller.

One of Guy Ritche's best. So entertaining with his signature dialogue and a lot of funny scenes. Crazy awesome characters that are all incredible and the cast is just oozing with chemistry. Amazing soundtrack too. Very, very close between this and Lock, Stock as my favourite of his.

Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
71sfTYh134L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Plot: Susan, a child, and her mother, along with the help of a lawyer, must defend a man, Kris Kringle, from being institutionalised. In order to do so, they must prove that he is the real Santa Claus.

This is definitely one of my favourite Christmas movies. Up there with It's a Wonderful Life for me personally. Edmund Gwenn is pretty much the perfect Santa Claus, he really nailed the part. Such a beautifully heartfelt film, really makes you smile and tear up. It's just lovely.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
The Handmaiden (2016)
MV5BNDJhYTk2MTctZmVmOS00OTViLTgxNjQtMzQxOTRiMDdmNGRjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpg

Plot: A woman is hired as a handmaiden to a Japanese heiress, but secretly she is involved in a plot to defraud her.

I don't really watch erotic type thrillers too often but I thought this was an amazing South Korean film. I'd heard a lot of good things about it which sold me on watching it originally. The direction is incredible, I've seen some of Park Chan-wook's films such as Oldboy and it was just as great as his work in that, if not better. He does such a terrific job keeping your attention and the visuals were absolutely amazing. I really enjoyed the setting, I found the plot to be interesting and definitely one I feel I'll need to give another watch to fully appreciate. A lot of layers to it. Performances were really impressive.

The Skeleton Key (2005)

MV5BM2YzNTlhZWYtNDQ2Ny00OTI0LWI0MzMtMWJkZTQ1MGVlMGVhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDIzMzcwNjc@._V1_.jpg

Plot: Caroline Ellis, a kind nurse, works for an elderly woman whose husband's health is poor. When Caroline inspects the couple's ramshackle Bayou mansion, she learns something that terrifies her.

For some reason I'd forgot a good chunk of this film. Even the ending managed to shock me again. I definitely did see this at one point as I remembered Kate Hudson being in it, but so much of it felt like it was unseen. Very weird. I'm glad though as it made for a great viewing experience and I'm surprised I didn't really remember it as it was pretty damn entertaining. Great setting with a creepy vibe and atmosphere, solid performances and a neat twist.

The Gift (2000)
MV5BNTUzMDY3ZDAtY2RiNC00ZGM4LWJjNmMtNWU0MGVjOWVkNjcwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Plot: Annabelle Wilson, a woman with psychic abilities, tries to find Jessica King, a young socialite who has mysteriously disappeared. While the search continues, she starts to suspect the townspeople.

One of Sam Raimi's hidden gems. I think a lot of people overlook this film, but it's another he directed that is pretty good. The cast alone makes it worth watching as there is a ton of really big names in it. You get to see Keanu Reeves in a very different role as well than what you'd typically expect from him. I'm not used to him playing such a detestable character, but he pulls it off really well. Giovanni Ribisi is also really good and Cate Blanchett leads this film supremely well. I'd recommend giving it a look if you're in to lesser known early 2000's films, I'm sure you won't be let down by it. The story is quite good with engaging performances.

Mother's Day (2010)
MV5BMjEyMTI3ODcwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDUzOTA1Nw@@._V1_.jpg

Plot: A mother and her three sons lose their house in a foreclosure. They decide to harass the new owners and their guests by holding them hostage.

This has some flaws but it's really enjoyable despite them and I'd recommend it if you like home invasion horror films. This is personally one of my favourites in that sub-genre, very tense and disturbing. Rebecca De Mornay really makes this worth watching and is the biggest highlight of the whole thing by far, her performance is absolutely awesome. She's so ruthless and just really owns the screen. If you like films such as The Strangers and Funny Games, I'd highly recommend it.

Malignant (2021)
MV5BYTc0NWIwOTYtNzEwYi00YmUyLTlmYWYtYjJiZjRjN2RjMjAxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyMjM2NDc2._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Plot: Madison, a young woman, is terrified by visions of the murders of strangers. Later, she decides to find and save the victims.

It was my second time watching this and I absolutely love it. The film really surprised me as I expected something totally different from the trailers and marketing. Even the plot synopsis really doesn't give you the full picture of what's going on, the whole thing was just a complete surprise. With a great plot twist to boot. I really liked that James Wan took a chance and did something that not everybody will enjoy. He could have played it safe with this but he didn't, I appreciated that. It's a lot more campy horror than you might first expect. The third and final act could easily be mistaken for an action film, some scenes feel as though they were ripped straight out of The Matrix. But boy, do I love that final act. It's balls to the walls crazy. Great film if you can vibe with what's it is going for.

Reactions: Chris

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Belfast (2021)
8198y9-1zjL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Plot: Amidst an ethno-nationalist conflict, Buddy and his family find themselves in a catch-22 situation as their lives become increasingly unsafe in Belfast.

Wonderful film. I found myself captivated by it and thought it captured the 1960's extremely well. it's one of those that uses black & white to great effect, it really felt right for this kind of story and ended up making it a lot more immersive of an experience. This is helped by the incredible performances from the cast who all feel natural and add realism. Jude Hill was a phenomenal young actor, I was really impressed by his work in this. He was really charming and likeable. Two other big highlights for me were Judi Dench as the Granny and Ciarán Hinds as Pop. They really reminded me of my own grandparents growing up as a kid. The scenes with them in it were some of the most relatable scenes for me. As obviously I didn't grow up in the 60's or in Northern Ireland. It really felt like I was back at their house again. The dialogue in this film just flows so smoothly.

Ginger Snaps (2000)
p27727_p_v8_aa.jpg

Plot: Brigitte and Ginger are blood sisters who share a common passion for death. They find themselves in a difficult situation when Brigitte discovers Ginger undergoing changes after being bitten by a dog.

This film is incredible. Even more awesome than I remembered honestly, it's been so many years now since I even watched it. Absolutely soaking in atmosphere, I love the vibe of horror films that are very early 2000's and still have those elements of the 90's era seeping through. The practical effects and gore are amazing, they definitely hold up extremely well. I really love the chemistry in this between Emily Perkins & Katharine Isabelle, they feel like actual sisters. It's just that natural between them. They killed it in the casting department for this. So glad I decided to watch this again on a whim, it's for sure shot back up high in my favourite horror films.

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)
MV5BMjMzNjMyMjU2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzA3NjQ0MzE@._V1_.jpg

Plot: Residents of a worn-down Iranian city encounter a skateboarding vampire (Sheila Vand) who preys on men who disrespect women.

This is great if you're looking for something a bit more different in a vampire film. It really clicked with me. I really enjoyed this a lot. The slower pace was perfecly executed, I enjoyed how moody and atmospheric it was. There's a ton of really awesome shots in this, I thought the direction was on point. I definitely found myself being quite mesmerized by it and just really curious to see it continue to develop. Sheila Vand's performance was very good. Such an interesting film, I'm glad I stuck with it after the slow start and got sucked in to what it was going for. Was thinking about it for ages after finsihing it.

A History of Violence (2005)
MV5BMTczMzIzMTQ1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDQwNjk2._V1_.jpg

Plot: A mild-mannered man becomes a local hero through an act of violence, which sets off repercussions that will shake his family to its very core.

One of my favourites from David Cronenberg and by far one of his most straight forward and easiest to digest. A lot of his other films are quite bizarre and weird (which I enjoy about him) but this is just a straight-up great thriller film with tons of drama and tension. I think anybody could enjoy it really. It just shows how diverse he can be as a director. The pace and runtime is perfect, never feels like it's just trying to fill time at any point for the sake of it. I really enjoy how well the opening scenes set up the rest of the film to follow. Some really nice performances in this film, Ed Harris in particular is just so menacing and kills the role he plays.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Pig (2021)
81KcUQbYUHL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Plot: A truffle hunter who lives alone in the Oregon wilderness must return to his past in Portland in search of his beloved foraging pig after she is kidnapped.

Good movie. Nicholas Cage gives a subtle but great performance. Which was nice. It's rare to see him dial it back but I really liked it. From a visuals standpoint and Cage's character, this gave me quite a heavy The Revenant vibe. Very nicely filmed with some good sounds, music and ambience. Obviously it's not to the same standard of that movie, but I do think fans of it may very well enjoy quite a lot of aspects to this. Definitely had elements of John Wick thrown in there too. Fans of the revenge genre would like it.

Paul (2011)
p8371978_p_v8_ab.jpg

Plot: Two comic book buffs take a road trip to Area 51, where they run into an alien. With federal agents in pursuit, the two inept geeks must quickly find a way to return the alien to his spaceship.

Very easy watch if you're already in to Nick Frost & Simon Pegg movies. It feels like being back with some old friends watching it. The Sci-fi theme is fun and whilst not on the same level as Hot Fuzz or Shaun of the Dead (not many comedies are) it still has a lot of great moments and rewatchability. Like a lot of their other movies, the dialogue flows super naturally. Very entertaining. Seth Rogen is also nailed it with his voice acting here as Paul.

I, Robot (2004)
p34586_p_v11_av.jpg

Plot: Del Spooner investigates the murder of Dr Alfred, who works at US Robotics, with the help of a robopsychologist. He tries to deduce if a robot has violated the laws of robotics and killed him.

This has aged really well. I remember the special effects in this blowing me away when it came out. Really enjoy the visual style and the futuristic Chicago in this. Still was as entertaining as I remembered it being with an entertaining plot that moves quite fast. Easy one to enjoy.

Forrest Gump (1994)
p15829_v_v13_aa.jpg

Plot: Forrest, a man with low IQ, recounts the early years of his life when he found himself in the middle of key historical events. All he wants now is to be reunited with his childhood sweetheart, Jenny.

One of my absolute favourites, it captivates you right from the opening scene with the beautiful visuals and the memorable lines and incredible delivery by Tom Hanks. It never gets old, no matter how many times I see it. It's such a beautiful film that really touches you in so many ways and the cast all give such wonderful performances. It's really one of those that just gets you thinking a lot about life after seeing it and makes you appreciate things more. I really love the soundtrack in this too, I listen to it a lot on Spotify. A ton of really fitting pieces of music.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
The Breakfast Club (1985)
AAAABeotufKLoHW62n0FgzscHwhpmkQV2ZhA9yfYJ3QwCjY8ImU34avfQtLeHCG_cnd4DQcgbn04kJN5QJnJ4ylb2YgfDYnQwTngSPAv.jpg

Plot: Five high school students, all with different mindsets, face detainment in their school library on a Saturday morning. As time passes by, their egos fade and they become close buddies.

It has sort of become a tradition of mine to watch Breakfast Club at the start of every year. One of those movies I'll just never get tired of watching and always ends up being something I appreciate more about it. It's just so timeless. The perfect mix of characters and cast. It's got tons of heart and the humour of it is on point. Makes you laugh and also at times makes you feel sad. John Hughes was very good at striking that balance.

The Lodge (2019)
MV5BNDQ2YWVmZjEtMTE1ZS00MDk1LTg5ODUtMDVlODk0OTM2ODMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

Plot: Six months after their mother's suicide, Aidan and Mia's father takes them for a family vacation to his girlfriend's lodge. However, things take a turn when they start experiencing strange events.

This film was really good. The opening scemes shocked me. It gets really dark and depressing awfully quickly, I was really surprised by the direction it took. So full of atmosphere. The performances I thought were very impressive, especially by the younger actors in this. They captured the feelings of grief perfectly. There was a lot of layers to the characters, which the cast pulled off really well. The story in this was incredibly unsettling, it really got me on the edge of my seat. Definitely one I recommend going in to completely blind and just enjoying the ride it takes you on.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (2008)
MV5BODk2MDUyMDc1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTQ1ODQ4NA@@._V1_.jpg

Plot: Bruno, the son of a Nazi commander, meets Shmuel, a Jewish boy living in a concentration camp. Later, both the children become friends while being oblivious to the reality of the situation.

Been a while since I watched this one and that's mostly because I know it's going to be a hard watch emotionally. My first time watching it, it really stuck with me for the longest time and made me cry. It's a really effective movie with some really remarkable young performances from Asa Butterfield and Jack Scanlon.

Limitless (2011)
MV5BYmViZGM0MGItZTdiYi00ZDU4LWIxNDYtNTc1NWQ5Njc2N2YwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_.jpg

Plot: Eddie, an aspiring writer, tries a new drug that allows him to make the most of his cognitive abilities. A business tycoon, along with a few assassins, takes notice of his genius and trouble follows.

Up there with my favourite Bradley Cooper performances. I really enjoy this movie a lot. Very stylishly and vibrantly filmed, especially when he's under the influence of the super drug and can see the world more clearly and everything. They do a fantastic job just giving a sense of what he's feeling to the viewer. It's highly effective. The story is fun and Cooper's performance is entertaining and his character's unravelling which he potrays it well. Very fun watch that holds up on further rewatches.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Hello.

Just skimmed through and I love this review style. Would have liked to see William Hurt mentioned in the History of Violence review but it’s all good.

I actually think it’s not that far removed from Cronenberg’s earlier (Shivers, The Brood) works, albeit in a much more polished form. At the end of the day, the reflection in all of these films is the insidious nature of humanity. Though he may be “the King of venereal horror”, the majority of his early works still reflect the horror of the breakdown between man’s contract with society.

“It’s all in the reflexes”

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Been a while since I updated this thread. Finally found the time to fit a few more extra films in my schedule, always easy rewatching good ones.

MV5BYTA4YjM5YTEtZmIwMy00OWQyLWJmZTUtN2M3OTc5Y2RiNWFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQwMTY2Nzk@._V1_.jpg

Synopsis: Ten years after he was last seen, a vicious mob enforcer returns home to find his son and methodically track down the gang that double-crossed him. His quest for revenge soon leads to a savage showdown between his wife and her mob boss father.

This caught my attention scrolling through Netflix. I noticed that Neil Maskell was the lead actor who I've been impressed by in recent months. I watched Kill List fairly recently, another British film with him in it. Very glad I watched this. It's a brutal revenge film with a superb atmosphere. Very dark and gritty from the start, which I really enjoyed. The performances were excellent. The kill scenes in this were very hard to watch, it definitely had me squirming at a lot of scenes. Highly recommend giving this a go if you enjoy revenge sort of films. It really doesn't shy away from the violence.

p21702_p_v10_ab.jpg

Synopsis: Two cops from different cultures, who cannot stand each other, team up to save the kidnapped 11-year-old daughter of a diplomat. With time running out, they must nab the criminals and save the girl.

Timeless film. I always smile watching Rush Hour and get so many laughs out of it. It's such a sharp, fast paced film with a great Action/Comedy blend and so many memorable pieces of dialogue and lines that I still get a kick out of. It always feels like watching it for the first time again, it just is able to make me laugh that easily. Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker are right at the top of my favourite buddy duos. They are absolutely perfect together and bounce off each other so beauitfully. Everything just comes so naturally to them both. The action sequences are geniunely great too.

MV5BMjhlMWE5NzktNmE4Ny00ZWFlLTk5MzUtZDZhZmQ0YmVlNDI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc5NjEzNA@@._V1_.jpg

Synopsis: A Shaolin follower assembles his five childhood friends so that they can use their martial arts skills to play football and thereby popularize Shaolin kung fu.

Such an amazing concept and executed to perfection. This is a great choice for somebody who isn't really in to Sports films, the over the top action really makes it enjoyable and a great pick for any kind of person. I love this movie. It's so absurd, but it just works. Highly entertaining and flies by. The comedy is on point, it's a very hilarious film and has aged wonderfully.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
MV5BODczNzBhOWMtZGNlOS00YjBhLWI2ZDgtMzA2MjFkZmJhNTNhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Synopsis: A group of friends discover a haunted house on Halloween and decide to explore it. However, things do not go as per plan as the night turns deadly.

Glad to see Netflix has been adding some more recent horror films lately. I have been wanting to see this one for a while now. This was such a fun slasher with a great vibe. There's not many that I can recall seeing before that take place in a haunted house on Halloween night either. That was a really good setting for this genre, it instantly gave this a ton of atmosphere. The set design was for sure a high point of the film. Some scenes even felt like a mix between Saw and Escape Room. It has some really brutal kills. I thought the characters were great, very likeable. They fight back too and make some smart decisions. Multiple villians in this too which was interesting and they had a creepy design.

MV5BODQ0M2Y5M2QtZGIwMC00MzJjLThlMzYtNmE3ZTMzZTYzOGEwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

Synopsis: A corporate defense attorney takes on an environmental lawsuit against a chemical company that exposes a lengthy history of pollution.

Very good legal thriller, I enjoyed this one a lot and especially the performance of Mark Ruffalo. He was exceptional in this. It's very well shot and directed with some fantastic acting. It didn't take long for me to be engrossed in it. It's definitely one I'd recommend watching and one that carries an important message you can leave with as well by the end of it.

8109CDq5cEL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Synopsis: A successful drug dealer's retirement plans come to a halt when he is forced to rescue the daughter of a trade magnate. At the same time, he must also retrieve ecstasy pills worth two million pounds.

Clever film. Matthew Vaughn is a great director. I love the story and the ending ties it all together really nicely. The whole cast is great in their respective roles but Daniel Craig really shines in a massive way. His acting and narration are both fantastic.

Reactions: Jimmy King

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
MV5BMzQwMzQ0MjYzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTIwMTEwNDI@._V1_.jpg

Synopsis: Addison Schach and his girlfriend, Phoebe, undertake their own investigation when their friend is killed. They soon discover that there is more to the case than meets the eye.

Very solid film, I'm surprised I haven't heard of this before considering it has some fairly big names in Chloe Moretz and Ansel Elgort. I liked both of their performances in this, they felt very geniune and so did the chemistry between them and their characters. They carried the film very well. Good pacing and short runtime made this an easy one to watch until the end.

91NzOzg6LYL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Synopsis: A police detective, a bank robber, and a high-power broker enter high-stakes negotiations after the criminal's brilliant heist spirals into a hostage situation.

Great heist film that is only made better by the fantastic casting all-around. There's a ton of great names in this, but Denzel Washington and Clive Owen really help to make it memorable. They put in some awesome performances, I especially enjoy Owen's acting in this a lot and I think it's one his best roles by far. Seeing both perspectives as it plays out is something I really enjoy a lot. You connect with all the characters. It's got some excellent direction from Spike Lee with a really engaging script.

MV5BMTQ3NzY2MTg1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODY2Njk4MTE@._V1_.jpg

Synopsis: A drug dealer approaches Matthew Scudder, a private detective, seeking help as his wife was kidnapped and murdered even after he paid the ransom. So, Matthew decides to bring the killers to justice.

This was great. Only seen it once before so it wasn't super fresh in my memory. I'd say I liked it even more seeing it again. I feel like it's a lot darker and grittier than some other Liam Neeson roles. Big fan of the visuals. Very engrossing story that holds some nice supsense and keeps you intrigued. Some other great names help to round out the cast too, I'm big fan of Dan Stevens and David Harbour is great.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Whilst the internet was out I spent some time watching DVD's and Blu-Rays. They honestly came in clutch and helped stop me from being really bored. I would have been lost without them and I'm really glad I have been getting in the habit of collecting movies as of late. It's always nice for these situations and the bonus features are always a pleasant surprise too, I watched some of these a couple times and enjoyed listening to the commentary afterwards to get an insight in to how the film came to be made. You really learn a lot from it.

81ySpJy3woL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Synopsis: While the Petersons grieve over their son Caleb, a soldier who died in action, David appears at their doorstep claiming to have known him. At the same time, a series of killings begin in the town.

So many things to gush about with this movie. It has an excellent hook at the beginning introducing Dan Steven's character David and the mystery surrounding him. Right off the bat it makes you interested to see where the film goes and see what he's capable of. His performance is really what makes this, it's the film that made me a fan of him as I wasn't super familar beforehand, he's so cool and calculated in this. The action scenes themselves are really fun and enjoyable and it's paced extremely well. Excellent soundtrack too. Cast is rounded off really well also outside of Stevens, everybody puts in good peformances. I'm a fan of Maika Monroe and this is definitely at the top of her best films. I'd highly recommend watching this, it's a blast and there's never a dull moment. Very rewatchable also as it just breezes by and is so tightly paced. Last little icing on the cake is the fact this is set around Halloween too, always a thing I'm a fan of in movies as I just love the vibe of that time of year a lot in real life. The scene with the spooky maze and the electronic music playing is just perfection.

p24739_p_v13_av.jpg

Synopsis: A spaceship full of passengers find themselves stranded on a planet inhabited by nocturnal monsters during an eclipse. The only person they can rely on is a dangerous convict named Richard B Riddick.

Great film that I found really holds up. The setting itself is interesting and unique and the visuals and special effects are still pretty good for when it released and it does a great job building up a lot of suspense and atmosphere. The creature design as well is pretty top tier still. This film is an example of where Vin Diesel really shines for me. He's not often an actor I feel that goes out of his boundaries a lot with his acting roles, but Pitch Black is where he showed a lot of range for me playing Riddick. It's by far his coolest, most interesting character with a great background lore. He knocked it out of the park honestly. His overall vibe and voice just go perfect for this role. Plenty of good characters in ths film.

51a9195d79fcc2709a632b5e3694ec84c9ea78d52002ed210c7b27c8bf94cbbe.jpg

Synopsis: Jason Bourne is forced to return to his old ways as an assassin after his girlfriend Marie is killed. Deputy Director Pamela Landy investigates the connection between Bourne and Operation Treadstone.

Probably my favourite in the Bourne series. The first three in the trilogy are excellent. They just kept getting better and better, topping the previous films like the newer Mission Impossible sequels. One thing I really love about these films compared to other action films is how deep and thought-provoking the actual story is. It's so full of twists and turns and suspsense. Matt Damon is perfect as Jason Bourne and really moulds himself in to the character, it's easy to see why it's become one of his most iconic and memorable roles. The fact Bourne is always on the run just means these films are always paced super quickly as well and they are such easy watches as a result. I just really like the overall arc in this one, and it sets up really well for Ultimatium after it.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
p30402_v_v8_ac.jpg

Synopsis: Will Graham, a retired FBI agent with special psychological abilities, is assigned a job to capture an enigmatic serial killer. However, he
must seek help from his rival, Dr Hannibal Lecter.

This is a great prequel. It's hard to match Silence of the Lamb's quality as it sets a very high bar but this to me comes pretty close at certain moments. It's got plenty of thrill and suspense and a great villain in Ralph Fiennes who really does steal the show. He's very creepy and disturbing. Anthony Hopkins is great as always as Hannibal and Edward Norton plays a great Will Graham. I really enjoyed watching this as well after seeing the Hannibal series and just comparing the ways in which the characters are played. I appreciate both, but it definitely made me realise even more how much I love Hugh Dancy's performance in the show.

MV5BMzJhNWQxYTYtM2RlZC00MGE4LTkwN2EtNWE2ZGYyMGEyNTEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjk3Mzk2MTA@._V1_.jpg

Synopsis: Edmond receives a call from his estranged ex-wife informing him about his son's disappearance. Determined to find his son, he suspects his ex-wife's new partner and stumbles upon a few truths.

Good film that is really elevated by James McAvoy's excellent performance. He really reminded me of how Hugh Jackman was in Prisoners. Similar sort of intensity and just a raw performance that felt real and emotional. I was very impressed by him in this a lot. Claire Foy was also pretty incredible too, she felt so natural. It was pretty engrossing of a film with a good gloomy ambience and I was interested to see the story continue to unfold and what truths would be uncovered. It gets really good towards the end.

MV5BOGE1YTI2NjItNDAyYy00YzI3LTlmNDUtYWU0ZmFlNWE3N2ViL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

Synopsis: In a desperate attempt to prove his innocence, a skilled police negotiator accused of corruption and murder takes hostages in a government office to gain the time he needs to find the truth.

Surprised I have never seen this film before seeing as I'm quite a big fan of F. Gary Gray's work as a director, especially Friday, Law Abiding Citizen and Straight Outta Compton off the top of my head. He's directed some pretty good films. This is another one I can add to the list that I really liked from him a lot. Samuel L. Jackson is excellent as usually tends to be the case, he plays a really fun character and has some great lines in this film. The story was solid, nothing crazy ground breaking but a good set-up which is built up well and grabs your attention. The cast definitely help make this an enjoyable and memorable one. There's a ton of great names in it, I kept finding myself saying "Oh it's that guy' a lot which was pretty fun, it's always nice when you stumble on these older films and they have so many actors you are a fan of.

p11736416_p_v8_ab.jpg

Synopsis: Nancy, a 34-year-old single woman, meets Jack on a train and goes on a blind date with him, after which they part ways. But they soon decide to give their relationship a second chance.

Watched this with the Girlfriend, we both really enjoyed it. Thought it was really nice and it made me a smile a lot. I saw Simon Pegg was in the cast who's always good and can make me interested in just about any film. Lake Bell was very funny, I loved her performance in this. Her line delivery and facial expressions were so good. They have superb chemistry together. The dialogue was great, there's a lot of awkward comedy that is done well and makes you laugh. The situation itself makes for some funny scenarios. It's quite a short film as well, just under 90 minutes and goes by pretty quickly. The story is simple but sweet.