Former writer discusses WWE "Castrating" babyfaces

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Former creative team member John Piermarini was interviewed on Wade Keller (PWTorch)'s Interview Friday and gave a very informative response to a caller who asked what so many of us have asked:

When a heel gets over, has a well developed character with quirks and traits that got him over, why can't they leave those traits intact when turning him babyface instead of castrating him?

Originally Posted by John Piermarini (PWTorch Livecast; Fri 7th June 2014)

That culture of the cool heel is not understood by anybody at WWE that can make those decisions and I think that people today want to cheer for a babyface, I mean even in that question it's "What if you just took Wade Barret but you didn't make him a heel you just kept him the way he was?" so 'I want to cheer Wade Barret, take away the heel aspect but don't change who he is' - the problem is that the philosophy there: that's not a babyface to Vince McMahon. A babyface is John Cena, a babyface is a guy who walks out and smiles and kisses babies' foreheads and dances - that's a babyface to him.

Until you can change his mind on that philosophy, you're gonna get cool heels in a sense because it's a lot harder to create or book a cool babyface because he has to have those heel tendencies (?) but, I don't want to say it's a lot easier but it's simpler to book a heel. I actually enjoyed writing for heels than I did the babyfaces but it really all just comes down to a philosophy--and here's the thing, look, I was the same as everybody that listens to your show and reads your website that said "the answer is right there, how do they just not get it? I'm not the smartest guy in the world but when I get there I'm gonna tell em this and it's gonna change the industry" but the problem is when you get there you could give your answer but the philosophy is the philosophy.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
It's like Steve Austin, The Rock, D-Generation X, and others never existed.

Brad.

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Agree 100% with everything he says.

JC4Life37

The Showoff
Reaction score
It's like Steve Austin, The Rock, D-Generation X, and others never existed.
You know better than I do, Lock, that Vince won't change his mind unless he is forced to.
Rocky Maivia was booked to be the way Cena is now (Rock even alluded to this on live TV during RAW)... back in '96.
The format from 83-97 and from 06-today is the format Vince is comfortable with

Until he begins losing business and has legit competition and doesn't have to please sponsors..the format isn't changing

Green Jesus

The Showoff
Reaction score
I can't see how Vince doesn't realize that edgy babyfaces gets over really quickly with both the smarks and the "regular" wwe fans. It worked with DX, Stone cold, and more recently with Cm Punk(early face turn) and the shield. Jeez, just give babyfaces some personality already

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
It's funny that I read this while WWE pushes a young talent like Bo Dallas, who is so obviously purposefully a heel that thinks he's a babyface. It's almost like the creative team is pushing this character (yes, I'm aware it's the same gimmick he used in NXT...maybe when I write "creative team", I should write "HHH") as a way to show Vince that the over-the-top, histrionic babyface doesn't get over with crowds.

Of course, I also think that Bo will eventually get a positive reaction from some of the audience (particularly the type that enjoy his wrestling style and "gets the joke").

wk

swangirl

The Artiste
Reaction score
The guy is 100% right Vince and his yes men have no idea

Farooq

Chairwoman of The New Day
Reaction score
Already figured this out anyways lol. Nice to see someone "confirm" it I suppose.