Flywalker’s Raw Review – February 21, 2011

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Opening Segment: John Cena

Open the show with Cena to a rain of boos, he grabs a mic, tries to play up his win, and then it’s all Rocky chants and boos for Cena. He plugs Mania, then he talks about Rock. Rolling footage of last week and Rock’s incredible promo cutting on Cena. Cena acts like a Rock fan and starts saying he was being made fun of, and says he’s gotta call Rock out and respond. He says only one way to go back, but he’s going back to his degree in Thuganomics. Rapping time I suppose. He’s GOT to end this tonight so he can focus on WrestleMania. He starts rapping… one time deal. He raps, jackin’ Rock’s swag with the pausing. Nice rip on Tooth Fairy, and all the other movies and Rock “selling outâ€. Blow me line >_>! OPENING MINUTES!!! YES!!! Responding to last week’s Barney line. Brakeback Mountain line!!! HOLY SHIT! Ball polishing! HOLY SHIT! 7 YEAR LINE! Dwayne ain’t gotta Johnson! THIS IS THE CENA WE FUCKING NEED IN THE WWE! LET HIM BE EXPLICIT! HOLY FUCK YES!

Cole puts over Lawler coming out later tonight to address the crowd.

2/21/11 video countdown to the top of the second hour.

1st Match: John Morrison vs. CM Punk

Morrison coming out, injured, hobbling badly. Punk comes out limping as well. Neither guy 100%. Punk mocking Morrison with the eyes. Morrison beating Punk down in the corner. Punk rakes the eyes then works on Morrison’s knee on the apron. We get a random 2/21 countdown on screen, and it’s not leaving. Punk with a nice dropkick to the thigh in the corner, and beating down Morrison from the mount. Still working the knee, near-fall, and now a deathlock move, Morrison to the ropes. Morrison fighting back, beating Punk down. Morrison goes for the running knee, Punk kicks his knee to reverse it. Punk gets up and hits the GTS for the win.

Winner: CM Punk
Match Rating: **

Punk calls for a microphone as we go to highlights, he calls out Randy Orton. He has decided to give Nexus the night off, and promises Orton it’s not a setup. He plays to the crowd buying tickets to see him and they give him huge heat. He goes back to the punt and having to forfeit the WHC. He tells Orton he’s got to make an important decision and that WM isn’t in Orton’s future… telling him to walk away, he doesn’t deserve to be at Mania and it’s up to him to decide why. Either it’s because he’s crippled or because Orton cares about his wellbeing. Punk says he’ll hurt Orton next week if he shows up at Raw. Orton slides into the ring from the crowd, attacking Punk. Orton goes for an RKO, but Punk slides out. Nexus on the way out, but Punk calls them off. The crowd is going FUCKING NUTS for Orton!

Match/Segment: Alberto Del Rio, Kofi Kingston

Del Rio comes out in a Lamborghini… AMAZING ride. Kofi runs out and attacks Del Rio. Rodriguez breaks the scuffle up. Del Rio attacks Kofi and starts working the arm on the outside. Del Rio locks on the Cross Armbreaker on the outside. I guess we get no match here. Del Rio goes back and hits Kofi again, ramming him into the ring post arm-first.

Miz walking in the back, scares the shit out of that guy he shoved down last week, he’s out next with something to say.

Segment: The Miz

Miz talks down on the crowd going nuts over The Rock. Miz says back in ’99 he sat in his dad’s living room and going nuts, then he talks about how he almost marked out when The Rock said his name last week. Then he gets to the line The Rock brought for him, and then talks down on how terrible that line was. The Miz goes on his Really? stick with the crowd, and plays up to how he’s a champion. He goes on about being in the Main Event whereas Rock’s only a host. He talks about how Rock and Cena are both cultural icons and the people love them for it, and puts himself over the fact he’s too good for what the people think of him. Plays off of Rock’s line again, calling himself Awesome. General Manager chimes in, Cole gets up, doesn’t get as much heat as normal, or as much as Miz. The GM says enough about The Rock, and plays at a Tag Team Championship match where The Corre will defend against The Miz and John Cena.

Divas Tag Match: Bella Twins vs. Eve Torres & Gail Kim

Snooze alert! Weak action… attempting to be brawlers. Big distraction, Gail takes a hard bump. Eve tagged in, taking control. Switch, Bella’s win.

Winners: The Bella Twins
Match Rating: _

2/21/11 Segment

We come back to the countdown starting at 25 seconds… it’s getting closer and closer. Undertaker opens the door to the shack and steps out. The lights go out in the arena. The gong sounds. Taker’s music hits, and The Deadman makes his way to the ring. Lightning damn near destroys the stage. Taker has one of his logo structures hovering over the ring. Taker looks around at the crowd really quick, removes the hat and the crowd pops for him really quickly. NOW THE GAME INTERRUPTS! He comes out and stares down Taker from the stage. He makes his way to the ring and has his look at Taker. He gets in the ring and in Taker’s face, then poses in the corner. Another staredown as Hunter continues to pose. Taker is starting to get pissed off. Hunter gets in Taker’s face and they stare each other down. Hunter looks up at the Mania sign, Taker looks back at it. Huge pop from the crowd. They stare back at each other and Taker grins, puts the hat back on, and acts as if he wont accept the challenge. The crowd boos Taker who stops in his tracks, turns back to face Hunter again, and crosses his throat. Game plays to the crowd and tells Taker to suck it. Intense staredown, the crowd seems to be siding with Hunter. We black out to a commercial. Kind of disappointed, wanted some mic-work, but at the same time, I’m feeling more intrigued now. I just really pray it’s got nothing to do with career vs. streak and it just comes down to a regular match.

Match #3: Sheamus vs. Mark Henry

Start off with Sheamus trying to beat down Henry, who locks in a bearhug and tosses Sheamus over the top rope to the floor. Henry tosses Sheamus back in the ring, Sheamus cowering away. He kicks Henry in the knee and goes back on the offensive, reversing a scoop slam and getting a chop block followed up by a running Polish (Scottish?) hammer. Sheamus working the 5-count, hits a huge knee and his springboard shoulder block followed by a near count. Running knee by Sheamus, following it up with a camel clutch. Henry fights up and slams Sheamus into the turnbuckle. Huge clotheslines and a headbutt with another huge clothesline. He goes for the splash but misses, Henry down, Sheamus kicks him in the face. Setting up for the Brogue kick, he rips the turnbuckle pad off, huge splash by Henry who hits the World’s Strongest Slam for the pin.

Winner: Mark Henry
Match Rating: **

Backstage Segment: Daniel Bryan, Gail Kim, and Sheamus

Sheamus finds Bryan laughing with Kim and says he’d rip Bryan’s head off in front of Kim. Bryan asks what his problem is and Sheamus storms off.

New HOF Inductee: Hacksaw Jim Duggan to be inducted by the “Million Dollar Man†Ted DiBiase

Segment: Michael Cole interviews Jerry “The King†Lawler

Cole plugs his upcoming interview of Jerry Lawler. They can’t touch each other or they’ll be terminated. He plugs himself as the voice of WWE and how he’s a better commentator than Jesse The Body, Gorilla Monsoon, Jim Ross, and Jerry Lawler. We go to commercial. Back from break and Lawler comes out to a warming response, he’s still shaken up. Cole applauding in the ring. Huge Jerry chant, he’s overwhelmed.

Cole cuts right to the point and asks King what it was like to get ready for the match at the EC and asks if he was nervous… Jerry stares at Cole who pulls the mic away. He asks how it felt last night when he realized his dreams would be shattered and he was going to lose to The Miz? When he realized WM was outta the question, and if he thought it was finally time to retire and Cole was right? Another no-response. He asks King when he was lying on his back being pinned last night… staring up at the lights into the Heavens and realizing that his deceased mother (no disrespect) had the best seat in the house and his dreams were gone, how did he feel when he let his mother down? Lawler grabs Cole by the jacket and tells him “If you ever mention my mother again, it’ll be the last thing you ever say. I’ve sat out here for weeks while you called me an old man, just remember this, I’ve forgotten more than they or you will ever know.†He says he’s got a way in to WrestleMania challenge vs. Cole. He asks Cole what he says to that, and Cole calls him senile and he’ll never enter a ring for a match against Lawler. King keeps at Cole and tells him to prove he’s a man and face him at Mania. He asks if Cole’s a man or a coward, Cole takes off the jacket and throws his drink on Jerry. Cole runs out through the crowd to the back and the crowd goes crazy chanting “Jerry!â€

WWE Tag Team Championship Match: (C) The Corre (Heath Slater & Justin Gabriel) vs. The Miz & John Cena

Cena and Miz start the match off with some momentum, getting some tag-work in. Cena dominates the match and Miz capitalizes with a tag and SCF for the pin and the win. After the match, Wade Barrett interrupts the celebration and demands that the Corre be given their rematch. The GM chimes in, and in Cole’s absence, we get Josh Matthews reading off of the laptop and saying to ring the bell. The match restarts, Miz has control, but quickly loses it. The Corre play the heel team using distractions to get cheap shots in. Miz tries a few times to make the tag but gets cut off. Justin Gabriel goes for a springboard attack, but Miz boots him in the face mid-air. Gabriel tags in Slater, Miz finally makes the tag, and Cena comes in hot with his 5 moves of doom. He’s going for the AA on Slater when Miz runs up from behind and hits a Skull Crushing Finale with Slater still on Cena’s shoulders. Miz leaves the ring and Slater gets the pin on Cena.

Winners: John Cena & The Miz; The Corre
Match Rating(s): *½; **

Match of the Night: Tag Team Championship Match
The only match with any substance to it in regards to building a WrestleMania match. The match wasn’t too amazing, but was entertaining enough. The swerve came somewhat unexpectedly. Would have given this to CM Punk vs. Morrison but the injuries really dragged that match down with knowing their styles completely contrast what we were given. Good selling (a bit oversell) but not MOTN material for me.
Segment of the Night: John Cena’s Opening Segment
I’m all for the non-rapping Cena, but I’m all for the content in Cena’s raps. It was nice to get this kind of material from him, as he reminded us he ISN’T the guy who plays to the children and PG rating at all times… it was also nice to see some edgy stuff in the first 5 minutes.
Overall Show Rating: **½
Could have done with a lot more wrestling and a little less segment. I mean, it’s cool to have the storylines being built, but at the same time, I’d have preferred to see more of that being done in the ring. Felt the match quality was really low tonight. Cool to have Taker and Hunter return, but no talking left it feeling a bit dull; but also left me intrigued with the coming weeks (so long as they don’t go streak vs. career). Also a decent segment to build for Lawler vs. Cole.

Axis

Reaction score
HEY HEATH SLATER YOU FUCK, HOW ABOUT YOU BREAK UP THE FUCKING PIN. What a smurf. Lawler/Cole segment ruled. HHH/Undertaker segment was not good. Heath Slater is a smurf. Heath Slater is a smurf.

fuzzy

Reaction score
kind of felt like Triple H got a bigger pop from the crowd then the Undertaker.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
HEY HEATH SLATER YOU FUCK, HOW ABOUT YOU BREAK UP THE FUCKING PIN. What a smurf. Lawler/Cole segment ruled. HHH/Undertaker segment was not good. Heath Slater is a smurf. Heath Slater is a smurf.
I agree all around, I was going to make a big deal about Heath not breaking up the pin because he was scared of the Miz, but then I remembered a couple weeks back when Miz did the same because Orton hissed at him... but this did nothing to sell Miz being a threatening person... it just made Heath look like one of the biggest bitches in the history of the sport.

Thank you. Seems like a lot of people are thinking that because they didn't speak it was deep and artsy.

Those people are giant assholes.
HAHA! I think my emotions from the staredown don't necessarily get captured in the review, because I'm doing it as we go along... the intensity of the staredown was awesome... but I think I conveyed my disappointment with it eventually.

I do have to say, I nearly died of laughter when Josh Matthews decided to point out *Undertaker crosses throat* "Could that be Triple H's fate at WrestleMania?" *Triple H tells Taker to suck it* "Or could THAT be Undertaker's fate at WrestleMania!?" I guess it's a death vs. blowjob match at WrestleMania >_>!

1chiban

Reaction score
kind of felt like Triple H got a bigger pop from the crowd then the Undertaker.

I thought the same. Much louder 'Triple H!' chants. In fact, I think the oppositional 'Undertaker!' chant was led by one guy and one guy alone :D

I won't go as far as 'deep and artsy' but I thought the Trips-'Taker segment was pretty good, actually. They didn't need to say anything, that can wait until next week when maybe they flesh the challenge out.

Axis

Reaction score
If there weren't so many plot holes, I'd agree that they wouldn't need to say anything. But them jumping into a feud with each other when they both have so much unresolved history with other people, it's just weird.

Italian Outsider

Reaction score
Can somebody find me Cena's promo? Everything else looked like not worthy. Good review though.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
[video=youtube;kHEwrNrneKM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHEwrNrneKM[/video]
[video=youtube;H-KYEkVWHeY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-KYEkVWHeY[/video]

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
The more I think about the Cole/Lawler showdown, and the more I see people whining and acting like little smurfs about it, the more I love it.

I mean, I suppose they're doing their job if they actually brought out the inner child and made people believe Cole's comments were sincere... but come on!

So glad Jerry agreed to do this storyline like this, it adds so much emotion into it. And at the risk of sounding like a completely heartless asshole, the timing of the death may actually prove to be for the best in regards to this storyline and building for WrestleMania, and the entire thing should culminate in a very special moment for Lawler, and ultimately for Cole as well.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I loved the Lawler/Cole segment. Was probably my favourite part of the whole show. I know I don't like Cole much as an announcer but I think he does have a lot of potential in other roles. Either as the GM or a manager or what have you. And even then down the road you can have him ultimately humbled and returned to the announce desk.

Also enjoyed that they are making Del Rio look vicious and dangerous as opposed to the usual cowardly heel archetype. Kinda refereshing.

Italian Outsider

Reaction score
Cole is annoying as fuck. He'd be perfect as General Manager. I don't remember anybody getting so much genuine heel heat since JBL.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
I loved the Lawler/Cole segment. Was probably my favourite part of the whole show. I know I don't like Cole much as an announcer but I think he does have a lot of potential in other roles. Either as the GM or a manager or what have you. And even then down the road you can have him ultimately humbled and returned to the announce desk.

Also enjoyed that they are making Del Rio look vicious and dangerous as opposed to the usual cowardly heel archetype. Kinda refereshing.

The only problem I have with Cole's announcing anymore (come on, he's gotten better about the wrong move names) is that he's still sort of in limbo. One week he bashes Cena for bashing him and plays up to CM Punk (even though when Punk left the announce table he was hating hard on Punk), then the following week, albeit because of The Rock, he's playing up to Cena through the entire night, at times seeming to forget that his daddy The Miz is facing Cena in 4 weeks at Mania.

It's all or nothing as a heel commentator. I've never liked any of 'em that can go an cheer on any face. The greatest thing about Lawler as a heel announcer was that he was able to maintain his heat for a guy in the same breath that he said he respected 'em. I think back to when he was in his feud with Bret Hart and had Isaac Yankem with him, and he made a comment in a Bret match that made you think "what the Hell!?" when he said "Bret is the greatest technical wrestler we've ever had in the WWE..." and you're thinking damn that just ruined this entire situation, but then he turned on it and followed it up with "but he will kiss my pig-pen feet and admit I'm the greatest overall wrestler to have ever lived!"

For me, when Cena makes fun of you one week, and in that same night Rock makes fun of you and Cena... there should be no sympathy factor the following week. Cole's comments last night should have said, "Cena's definitely our top guy, and he's right... The Rock left us! But The Miz is going to make Cena wish he'd follow in The Rock's footsteps before he even gets to WrestleMania and get out of the WWE!"

I want this guy to be a consistent, all the way Heel commentator. A tweener doesn't work, because you flip flop entirely too much for the fan to keep up with how you really feel about anything in the company. The only guy who could pull that role off was Jesse Ventura, and that was entirely based off of his wrestling career and his charisma. You knew he didn't give a damn about ANYONE.

1chiban

Reaction score
If a commentator is to be heel, he has to be the colour guy, not the play-by-play. The play-by-play guy has to build up the talent - Although making his opinion known when there were screwy finishes (and was openly biased towards Austin!) J.R. did a good job of making you believe that heel and face were both talented athletes.