Flame Xanth for not watching Forrest Gump

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
It's not a debate you'll win Mr. Dolph's
Two way street since there is nothing you can say that would convince me that the story is better in Gump. Forrest Gump is corny, cheesy and over the top. Oh look, this Blue guy does all this incredible shit that nobody could ever do and has a lot of cute sayings. Yawn. Pulp Fiction has a more interesting story and the way it unfolds was unique and unless I'm mistaken pretty damn innovative at the time to take all of the different stories out of chronological order and have them intersecting at different points

Dat Kid1

King of smurf Style
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Two way street since there is nothing you can say that would convince me that the story is better in Gump. Forrest Gump is corny, cheesy and over the top. Oh look, this Blue guy does all this incredible shit that nobody could ever do and has a lot of cute sayings. Yawn. Pulp Fiction has a more interesting story and the way it unfolds was unique and unless I'm mistaken pretty damn innovative at the time to take all of the different stories out of chronological order and have them intersecting at different points
True, but since film's my specialty I'm just going to rape you with a whole bunch of terminology you can't understand.

Forrest Gump is everything it needed to be. The fact that you said the movie was "over the top" is exaggerated already.
This is over the top:
h68ACD932

Sharknado

Forrest Gump is not Sharknado. Forrest Gump has one of the best stories, if not THE BEST story in a movie ever. It's more than just a blueberry doing stuff he shouldn't be doing, if it was that we'd be watching another "Ernest Goes to…" movie. The visual timing and the way Hanks sells that character makes you look at it as more than just a Blue guy. His disability isn't the antagonist of the story, it's society itself that's the antagonist and that's a hard thing to write (or at least write well). I mean, there's action, comedy, and romance all in this movie, it even ties in some historical info that impacts the story. Where have you ever seen a script that comes even close to Forrest Gump? It's as innovative as it gets on a story based level.

On the other hand, Pulp Fiction, which is also a GREAT movie, no doubt. It's not innovative and it's a bit bothersome when people call Tarintino movies "innovative" because they're not. What he does, is takes elements from other movies (from a technical standpoint: cinematography, editing, lighting, production design, ect) and he just combines them. He figures out a formula that makes them work together, so it SEEMS like you've never seen these things before, but they've actually been done plenty of times. As far as non-linear story goes, I actually laughed at this ( no offense), that's been done years before Tarintino. I mean Citizen Kane for one, which came out before Tarintino was even born. The only thing that's different about this non-linear story is that it doesn't provide a smooth transition, which forces the audience to become active participants while watching the movie and it worked beautifully. It got people to pay attention to his story because if there was even a moment where the audience didn't pay attention, they'd be lost. However, that does not make it the first non-linear film.

Edit: At the end of the day you have to ask yourself which story was more memorable. For me it's Forrest Gump.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
I never said Pulp Fiction was the first to use nonlinear stories, wtf? I was asking if he was the first to take the multiple storylines and then have them intersect at certain points.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
As for you saying QT isn't innovative.. how is using multiple platforms and genres combined to create a new theatrical experience not innovated? If nobody else has used the different aspects of film in the way that he combines them that is the definition of innovation

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
oh and I've taken entry level film classes so your day 1 vocab was certainly nothing I couldn't understand lmao

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Citizen Kane still did it first
Meh, it wasn't really the same thing. I'm talking about taking seemingly unconnected bits of a story and later having the characters interacting. What part of Citizen Kane does this? not saying it didn't happen I might just be forgetting. I've only seen Citizen Kane once for my aforementioned 100 level film course

Dat Kid1

King of smurf Style
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
As for you saying QT isn't innovative.. how is using multiple platforms and genres combined to create a new theatrical experience not innovated? If nobody else has used the different aspects of film in the way that he combines them that is the definition of innovation
Platforms & generes combined? No, Tarintino certainly did not do that first. I was making remarks on his visuals though.
Tarintino was not the first, but what I will credit him for is doing it better than anyone else. So much so, that people think he's the first

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
oh GODDAMMIT. who is the son of a bitch that gave me a red username

Dat Kid1

King of smurf Style
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Meh, it wasn't really the same thing. I'm talking about taking seemingly unconnected bits of a story and later having the characters interacting. What part of Citizen Kane does this? not saying it didn't happen I might just be forgetting. I've only seen Citizen Kane once for my aforementioned 100 level film course
Kane does it in every flashback.

I look at it like this. The purpose of the film is to find out how Kane's life connects to "Rosebud" is and in Pulp Fiction the audience has to figure out what the full story is. In order to do this, you have to connect seemingly unrelated bits of information to do that. The ONLY difference is Kane provides a smooth transition to that via the main plot, whereas Pulp Fiction just drops you in the middle of nowhere. It's practically the same thing.

Dat Kid1

King of smurf Style
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
no that's the smiley you should have been hit with you thinking you were going to go above my head with ' a whole bunch of terminology'

you didn't deliver on that aspect btw
It's late and I'm not going to go that far deep into a film. I'm glad you've taken entry level classes though, it's frustrating to talk about film when people don't understand some of that stuff

Reactions: Dolph'sZiggler

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
It's late and I'm not going to go that far deep into a film. I'm glad you've taken entry level classes though, it's frustrating to talk about film when people don't understand some of that stuff
:neveralone: