Family Guy To Get It's Own Online RPG

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Castiel

Reaction score
Family Guy Online isn't your standard social grind. It's not even a Facebook game. It's a graphically convincing free-to-play browser-based RPG with plenty of character, TV-showness and gameplay challenges.

The game begins with the player creating their own avatar based on familiar characters from the show. You're not exactly one of the Griffins, but you look like you might be. These are, essentially, classes.

In any case, inside the persistent world, the Griffins are big players. These NPCs send you on quests and challenges which offer rewards including funny clips from the show and points towards upgrades and items.

Quests include the kind of goofy nonsense and weirdness that has made Seth MacFarlane's show such a cultural touchstone for our times, and fans will recognize the jokes – chasing Greased-Up Deaf Guy down the street, for example or rescuing a midget from a well. Expect giant chickens.

Players pick up special skills as they progress through the quests. There are plenty of basic tasks like beating people up, rescuing and fetching. Since it's an MMO, certain quests and tasks require team-work.

The 3D world is there to explore so you can mooch around Spooner Street and its environs. The producers had to construct a quasi-realistic neighborhood because, incredibly, the TV show's makers don't have an actual map of Quahog.

Players come across certain characters just kinda being themselves who may send you on quests. That creepy old sexual predator Herbert is an early encounter.

The Griffins' home is a central location, as is, of course, The Drunken Clam.

For developer Roadhouse and publisher Fox (Disclosure – Fox owns IGN, but has received no approval rights over this story) the trick is to balance the need to create a world that is easily accessible and which which offers enough depth and challenge to keep players amused. Part of the solution is to take core mechanics from successful RPGs and simplify them. Also, to borrow from the show's own talent for improvisation and relevance – new content is planned for the game to follow TV show stories and real life events.

The game's lead is Ian Verchere, known for the award-winning TV-based game Beavis and Butthead back in the 1990s.

Family Guy Online is currently in closed beta with an open beta scheduled in a few months time.

- IGN

TRAILER
[video=youtube;oZ0OzEbaScY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ0OzEbaScY[/video]

While it's simply a free to play online game the graphics look identical to their PSP game from like 2005 or so. From the trailer it sounds like just a bunch of old voice clips from old episodes put in their as "dialogue" that I'm sure you'll hear a million times. I'm just not impressed right now, but it's still early. I'm certain any big Family Guy fans will love this though! You get to roam around Quahog! Any interest here?

Catfish Billy

Reaction score
I might try it. They're really milking Family Guy dry now.

Castiel

Reaction score
Indeed they are Billy... seeing as how it's FTP however I wouldn't knock anyone for trying it out, I'd be interested to hear people opinions on it one day.

Catfish Billy

Reaction score
I can see it as one of those games that is awesome for the first hour and after you never want to see it again.

I'm waiting for Troy to step in with a 'I said that to the girlfriend' line.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I might give it a go.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I don't know if I like this or not. For some reason an RPG makes it seem like it could be beginning to wind down. A few more seasons and it might be over, and an RPG also means it'll become one of those cult things that fanboys are going to jump all over and become smarky about. But, on the other hand, I could be way off base in my prediction and the show could continue to thrive with a funloving fanbase... We'll see.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
This sounds pretty fun, I might have a go when it comes out.

Gards Jr.

Reaction score
I might give it a go, but since I am not the biuggest fan of MMO's, I doubt I will enjoy this despite liking the show. I feel as if the show is being run dry, but we will see what ends up happening.