Exit Black Machismo Enter Jay Lethal

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
The previous episode of Impact saw the return of Jay Lethal. And this was without his over-played Randy Savage gimmic. I for one was stoked about it. I'm glad it's gone. It's time to see what Lethal can do now on his own. I honestly don't remember anything from Lethal pre-Machismo gimmic besides being billed as the youngest star on the roster. But I really want to see what he has in him.

Thoughts on Lethal finally dropping the Machismo gimmic?

Jon Honcho

Reaction score
It's great. The gimmick served its intended purpose. It got Lethal over and he was great in character. I met him after Against All Odds 2008 and I only talked to him for a few minutes and he stayed in character, funny guy. Oh yeah, he can flat out wrestle too. We know he can talk as Randy Savage and Ric Flair, now I hope he's honed those skills into making Jay Lethal great on the mic. Ric Flair is still great at making a feud with a younger guy extremely emotional and interesting. His interaction with Lethal was intense.

hbkfan

Reaction score
great idea jay leathal is a great talent on the mike and in the ring im glad hes dropped tha black machismo gimmick. his fued with flair has been a highlight on impact for me love the interaction between the 2.

phantomgerald

Reaction score
The gimmick helped him develop confidence too. Before the gimmick, he was just a spot monkey but now he's got all these emotions ranging from funny to angry and it's good for him. I don't understand how people can say Kofi Kingston is good but not say Jay Lethal is better.

What's more, he's really young. I remember them saying he was 21 when he debut, he would be 25 now? Future World Champ.

Reaction score
I like it. His charisma is amazing and his fued with Flair will be epic. Maybe if he'll be like his ROH days. Things can only get better. Only downside, his music wasn't exactly wow

MattHardyV1

Reaction score
Man ive been marking for Lethal since his first match in TNA I remember watching and hearing he was from Jersey and he was wearing my school colors at the time haha, been a fan ever since. The guy is a really good talent though, the machismo gimmick got really stale and I never really enjoyed it in the first place, Ive been waiting for the real Jay Lethal for a while now and even though I feel that this will turn into a Flair impersonation gimmick im still excited to see how this plays out.

NasJayz

Reaction score
The gimmick was good for a while but I' glad he's done with it and hopefully will main event soon.

Reaction score
As much as I liked the gimmick, it was time for a change. Look at EY. Look at how much he's changed. He went from a comedy character to someone you could put the strap on. Lets hope that Lethal will eventually get a shot at the World title.

Axis

Reaction score
I personally hope that his feud with Ric Flair is short. I just can't stand seeing Flair actively compete on mainstream television after his awesome retirement angle with Shawn Michaels. On the other hand, I really love Jay Lethal, so I hope he gets a great rub and moves on to become a big time player.

"TONIGHT ... IS THE NIGHT ... I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR."

Tobe__

Reaction score
Good call by TNA really. His Macho man gimmick was funny, but not funny for 3 years. Its time to let the real Jay Lethal shine.

Reaction score
I did enjoy the Black Machismo Invitational or whatever it was called when he'd wrestle classic wrestlers.

Now I'm really curious to see how his mic skills are when he's not impersonating something. I have high hopes for this one.

CMS

Reaction score
I like it, altough I do hate how TNA started this push completely out of nowhere.

Hit N Run

Reaction score
I'm preferring the change I must admit.
To be honest, there is just something really likable about Jay Lethal, the moment when RVD stuck his head in the door to announce he was tagging with Jay was great.
He comes across as a fella I could spend a few hours with while chatting about wrestling, much more so than many other Superstars.

chessarmy

Reaction score
Why are you spelling gimmick wrong? As for Lethal, I agree with the majority that it was about time to get rid of that Black Machismo character. It worked when it was first introduced, but they kept him with it way past the expiration date and it just got really old.