Edge

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

CMS

Reaction score
What's the deal with him? I remembered saying some months ago how Edge on Raw was just being....nothing. He didn't have a character. He wasn't the Ultimate Opportunist, he wasn't the Master Manipulator. He was just being Edge, with no direction, no nothing, just a big name.

Right now, nothing has changed. I can't really put my finger on what his gimmick is or what his character direction is. The only trait I see WWE pushing about him is how he's a veteran and quite frankly I don't like Edge talking so much about his past (hated he promo he cut on Jericho two weeks ago where he said he and Jericho had been costing each other title matches for 11 years).

But what puzzles me the most is the crowd reaction for him. Crowd EXPLODES when they hear his music hit. I mean, his reaction is only second to Cena and Orton. But his heel promos don't seem to click. To me, they seem to elaborated for the younger fans in the audience to understand but not reaching the level of cool that Jericho's elaborated promos reach. So I don't understand what's going on. The crowd clearly doesn't want to boo Edge (they cheer his entrance and in a clear sign of stupidy keep chanting SPEAR during his matches), yet, they didn't accept him as a babyface. What's going on?

Reaction score
Edge is on the completely wrong brand.

The storyline of Edge being pissed that he was drafted to Raw is fine, but he isn't in the right place. For a few years now we've witnessed Edge in the main event and now he's on Raw and he's not in a proper storyline (I consider the WWE/Nexus thing to be between Cena and Barrett). I suggest a move back to Smackdown for Edge.

Smackdown is constantly dominated now by Kane, Mysterio and Swagger. If Edge was to move back to Smackdown, we'd see Kane vs. Edge and what if Edge revealed that infact he was the attacker of Taker? For several years now, Edge has carried the Smackdown brand and he's either been chasing the SD champion or he's been the champ. The fact that Edge doesn't do much on Raw is also a reason as to why you would move Edge to SD. The fact is that Edge isn't being used correctly and he isn't suited for Raw when there are many other wrestlers (Miz, Sheamus, Cena, Orton) who quite frankly, are much better than Edge.

I've seen Smackdown as the show that's headlined by Edge for a few years now and he's spent the majority of his time on that show - It's worked great for him so why not keep him there? Smackdown atm has an amazing mid-card (Something Raw lacks) and has a poor upper-card (Something Raw has), So if WWE were smart - They'd make some changes. One of those changes being Edge to Smackdown.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
At this point I just don't care about his. His heel character was stale, his anxiously awaited return sucked, his face run was horrible, his heel turn sucked, he needed fucking Vicki in order to get him heat. Which proves he was getting "heat by association. I just don't care. He's boring. The only thing at this point that would get me interested in him again would be to reunite with Christian.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
I'm glad other people see what I see. I almost feel like Edge really has no point yet people go wild when he comes out. I'm not at all interested in him or what he does. He is just 'there' and has been that way ever since he came back. He kinds reminds me of Carlito. He is always around but does nothing.

I grew bored of Edge a long time ago. I would have loved to see an Edge/Christian feud, though.

CMS

Reaction score
Exactly. Edge has been doing absolutely nothing. He gets mic time in every show yet he just seems to ramble about something, yet when the promo is over, while you know the promo was good, you don't know what was it about or towards what is building. Losing at Mania and that feud with Orton really killed any momentum he might have garnered.

Another thing, the new crowds WWE is attracting really kills his character. Like I previously said, Edge tends to use big words or elaborated speech in his promos when explaining what he does, but it's not cool like when Jericho does it, and it seems to go over the head of the younger crowds present in the arenas. That, and the fact that nobody seems to want to boo him.

Hopefully he starts teaming with Jericho. If Chris managed to set The Big Show on fire, giving Edge a direction will be miles easier

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
I rather not have Y2J tied down with Useless. Let's just face it Edge has pretty much done all there is to do in the biz as far as feuds and titles go. Maybe now it's time for him to take a backseat and start putting over rising talent. Maybe one last attempt to elevate John Morrison wouldn't hurt. Or a move to the less star-heavy Smackdown and a Face turn puttig over maybe Cody Rhodes or a program with Drew (I really want this).

CMS

Reaction score
If Edge has done everything that there is to do, then what about Jericho.

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
I rather not have Y2J tied down with Useless. Let's just face it Edge has pretty much done all there is to do in the biz as far as feuds and titles go. Maybe now it's time for him to take a backseat and start putting over rising talent. Maybe one last attempt to elevate John Morrison wouldn't hurt. Or a move to the less star-heavy Smackdown and a Face turn puttig over maybe Cody Rhodes or a program with Drew (I really want this).

You must be joking... Edge has had to do backflips in order to get to the spot he's at. How about more of winning big level feuds with intelligence over brawn rather then being dirty. seasoned veteran over rising talent anyday of the week. To suggest Edge to go backwards and to measly put over guys who are developing is sinful. He's proven that he can have a match without a gimmick anymore he's proven that every night he can be great on the mic. He's proven that he can have a feud with anybody and people will watch.

What more do you want in a wrestler? He's carried so much people on his back as this role that he's everyone's gotten use to it and stale. What more do you want from him before you ride on his back? WWE has proved that they will only invest big wins and a 70% win ratio if you're a babyface. When they attempted to make Edge a babyface it failed. Now we're getting a water downed Edge that they're hoping over time will be able to develop him into a babyface because he's actually that good and should be a face of the company.

CMS

Reaction score
If Edge is average, average has turned into something pretty damn good.

I fear to God what is a bad wrestler by that measuring system

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
I have never been blown away by Edge in the ring. On pure ring skill alone, he's just "OK" to me. However, he is one helluva performer and can put on a good match with just about anyone.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Edge is a GREAT in-ring performer... with the likes of the greatest to ever do it. The way his matches shift momentum, and he uses every possible element of a match, Edge is top-notch.

Character-wise, he's been spoiled by booking yet again. Just the name itself leaves him in a very awkward position in the WWE... because he cannot be THAT guy anymore. He's not edgy because the E won't allow him to be edgy... he's playing this crafty, ploy-driven veteran role for every ounce of sweat it's worth, and it's not who Edge is best suited to be. Edge needs those feuds where he can break into Mr. Cena's home and slap him around. He needs those roles where he can be smutty with divas and play the homewrecker. He's not the risk-taking, "soda's RULE" Edge anymore... there's not much he can do to be fresh as a face.

But to say he should start bowing out to the younger talent and putting guys over - he's one of the few in the E to have some of the nicest clean wins over some top faces... people KNOW Edge is better than that. The E has to find a way to let him be the Rated R Superstar again... but I doubt severely it'll ever happen.

Mister J

Reaction score
Edge hasn't been great since his match with Mick Foley. That was years ago.

chessarmy

Reaction score
Edge is just in limbo right now, I agree with those of you who suggested moving him back to Smackdown! as he would gain the exposure he needs. Edge is one of those guys that can carry a show by himself, with the blue brand severely lacking roster depth, and RAW clearly not, it would make sense to move him and try and regain some of his lost momentum