ECW Free for All

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

noumenon

Ya know, I got to thinking... isn't ECW supposed to be the home of hungry young stars? Because it sure as hell isn't booked as such.
ECW gets an hour every week..which works out to about what....45 minutes with commercials? If even.
The ONLY thing on ECW that they have to be concerned with is the ECW title. Instead they devote 90 percent of the show to other random, pointless matches and have the champ in one segment. This is fine for a two hour prospering show like RAW or Smackdown....but for ECW it really isn't cutting it.
If ECW is supposed to be full of young hungry guys shouldn't all of them be up Swagger's ass for the title? I really think it would make ECW so much more interesting to book this thing as one big crazy free for all with everyone trying to get their hands on the title. It would also bring back some of that feel of chaos that ECW was so loved for without needing the weapons.
If you ask me ECW is the brand that would have really done well to have an elmination chamber.
I mean, there are only 6 or 7 active guys on the ECW roster right now, it really wouldn't be a stretch to book these guys trying to fuck each other over and get at Swagger.
Thoughts?

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
So you want it to be pretty much like the Hardcore title 24/7 rule? Well with out the stipulation of pinning the champ anywhere, you become the champ. I don't think this would work. How would you establish new talent when everyone is gunning for the belt at the same time. If any one were to cut a promo, be it backstage or in the ring, they'd all be the same "I'm good, I diserve the title" speech one after another. It'd be just one big cluster of new guys who nobody hardly knows. But like I said, there'd be noway of establishing the roster with everyone doing that.

noumenon

Yeah...I wrote that quickly and worded it poorly. I'm not saying that should be the state of ECW forever. Just around this time of year I really think it would be great for the brand. It would really bring some focus to the ECW title instead of the completely uninteresting feud of Swagger/Finlay. There really aren't that many guys on the ECW roster so it really wouldn't be that much of a threat to book.
And like you said...these are new guys who nobody cares about. Why would 2 new guys who nobody cares about feuding without a title in the mix garner any fan reaction? At least it would put the ECW title in the middle of a decent feud for a while.

Montana

I disagree, ECW is about the young guys, and you can tell because Jack Swagger is the champ. But its not just young guys, its some veterns to help the young guys get over, and show them the ropes. You talk about how little time they have, and yet how small of a roster they have. Those two go hand in hand.

And as far no one running up on swagger for the belt, he just won it two weeks ago. He's been fueding with Dreamer, Hardy, and Finlay, what more do you want with a 7 man roster?

As far as a ECW Elimination Chamber, i think that would be a poor match, BUT i do like the idea of something along those lines at mania. More so, in a fourway hardcore match.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
That still wouldn't work though. You have a bunch of guys who nobody knows gunning for a title. You don't need a title to have a good feud. Sure it may help some, but that's not a requirement. Having a roster full of guys gunning for one title at one time will not establish any of the new guys character. Look at the guys that had success debuting from the ECW brand, Bourne, Kingston, and Punk for example, do you really think they would have gotten over in this scenario? You have people on the roster now that's struggling to get over/build character, that's not going to do them any better throwing them in multi man matches/feuds. A reason why I think a thing that killed the Rumble was that by the time the30th guy came in, it was still a shit load of guys in there. That's exactly how this scenario would go. So it's a mix of the Rumble with a bunch of guys gunning for one thing (in this case the ECW title) and a mix of the hardcore title 24/7 rule, but without the rule in you get pinned anytime by anyone and your the champ. It wouldn't work. I don't think so anyway.

Edit: Small 4-way feud with what Montana may work, but not pretty much an entire roster. Especially with the talent initiative.

The Rated R CMStar

ECW is there for a reason, so that the Ricky Ortiz, the Boogeyman's, and other wrestlers than on other show would be jobbers, manage to get some fanfare.

Of course there are wrestlers nobody cares about in the roster, but that's exactly why they are on ECW, so that they manage to get some fans behind him.

Kofi Kingston never went after the ECW title, and now he's over. Shelton Benjamin, well, he isn't over, but his career got saved by ECW. CM Punk got made in ECW (in the WWE), and it wasn't until he was truly, truly over that he went after the ECW belt.

Bottom line, you speak as if ECW is hurting from having a wrestler full of unknown, not over wrestlers, but that's exactly why ECW is in there, to make this people over.

Let me give you one simple example. A few months ago, ECW's main event was a tag team match filled with "unknown, not over wrestlers": Mike Known and Benjamin teaming with Evan Bourne and Kofi Kingston. They certainly have come a long way since then

Hardcastle

Reaction score
and as jake the Snake Roberts would say, a title is not that important..A good wrestler gets over with a title, but a great wrestler gets over by himself

noumenon

^^^I couldn't agree more. But sadly, WWE has become very title-centric over the past few years or so. As much as I'de love to see them move away from that a little bit I really don't see that happening any time soon. I just figure perhaps around this time of year it would really be great to see some young new talent step up and challenge for a title that frankly could use some help in itself.

The Rated R CMStar

The thing is, if Ricky Ortiz for example, where to get a push toward the ECW Championship instead of what they are doing right now with him, would it indeed be for the better, or for the worse? Personally, I think it would be for the worse

noumenon

LOL...without a doubt. I'm not saying it has to be a legit push for the title. But to just around this time of year have some sort of tournement...battle royal...something to put some emphasis on the title. Show these guys are hungry for it.
I mean, we've got Knox and Rey in the RAW chamber...and we all know neither of them are gonna come near the belt, same principle.

seX-Power

Instead of having all the ECW wrestlers go after Swagger, there should be a second title introduced, as I have said for a while. Just a lower card title that the others can fight for, while still giving us ECW title feuds that we will actually care about. It would mean that the WWE could still push Ricky Ortiz without having to make him fight for the top title on the brand.

The Clash

Reaction score
ECW shoule be 2 hours long, all the talent coming through is unbelievable, they need more air time to show more talent, simple.

CenaMark54

Ya know, I got to thinking... isn't ECW supposed to be the home of hungry young stars? Because it sure as hell isn't booked as such.
ECW gets an hour every week..which works out to about what....45 minutes with commercials? If even.
The ONLY thing on ECW that they have to be concerned with is the ECW title. Instead they devote 90 percent of the show to other random, pointless matches and have the champ in one segment. This is fine for a two hour prospering show like RAW or Smackdown....but for ECW it really isn't cutting it.
If ECW is supposed to be full of young hungry guys shouldn't all of them be up Swagger's ass for the title? I really think it would make ECW so much more interesting to book this thing as one big crazy free for all with everyone trying to get their hands on the title. It would also bring back some of that feel of chaos that ECW was so loved for without needing the weapons.
If you ask me ECW is the brand that would have really done well to have an elmination chamber.
I mean, there are only 6 or 7 active guys on the ECW roster right now, it really wouldn't be a stretch to book these guys trying to fuck each other over and get at Swagger.
Thoughts?

I disagree to some extent. It wouldn't make much sense to me to have every single person on the brand trying to go after the title. It would do nothing for the importance of the title to have TJ Wilson debut and immediately throw out a challenge for the title.

I'll use boxing for comparison purposes. Not every heavyweight is in contention for the belt. You have to work your way up and beat quality opponents.

It would make little sense to have someone who has primarily been jobbing to be in the title hunt. It would hurt the prestige of the title and make the brand look like a joke.