Dusty Rhodes Passes Away (Tribute Thread)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
Shocking and very unfortunate news to wake up to today. He looked to be in great health and overall happy, like I legit want to know what happened here. My thought to his family and if there's a time to drop the Stardust character, it's now.

RIP
Great health has to be one of the largest overstatements i've read here. That includes BLFFL and FTJ's quotes, so you know.

CFCrusader

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
RIP Dusty. Wasn't old enough to have experienced his in-ring work but when he came back with his two boys at Battleground, the magic was real. Cody deserves a push and Goldy is amazing too. Going to think about the family tonight, this day has sucked. I want for them to let Cody become the main eventer (or at least upper midcarder) he should be and when he tributes his World Title to the American Dream, it will be a WWE moment worth experiencing.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Dusty was either the reason you loved wrestling. Or the reason your favorite wrestler loved wrestling.

Great quote from the WWE creative humor twitter account

Reactions: Just Kevin

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
I find it interesting that the final PPV main event and WWE Championship match that happened before his passing used a type of finish (the 'Dusty Finish') that was named after him and that he made famous.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Saw this on WF but thought it was too fun not to share. A Dusty story from Cody's personal twitter account from a few months back:

Cody was a kid at the time and says he and his dad walked into Waffle House. The guy behind the counter says something about wrestling being fake. Dream slaps him across the fucking face and says "And I'll take my grits covered and smothered!"

• Haha
Reactions: Trip in the Head

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Man wtf. It's always weird to hear someone's passing knowin you've seen them recently on your television screen. This is sad. RIP

Stopspot

Reaction score

Man, this promo. Dusty was a class of his own

Danielson

Champion
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hard Times Promo
Dusty Rhodes
The greatest wrestling promo of all-time

First of all, I would to thank the many, many fans throughout this country that wrote cards and letters to Dusty Rhodes, The American Dream, while I was down. Secondly, I want to thank Jim Crockett promotions for waitin’ and takin’ the time ‘cause I know how important it was, Starcade ‘85 it is to the wrestling fans, it is to Jim Crockett promotions, and Dusty Rhodes The American Dream. With that wait, I got what I wanted, Ric Flair the World’s Heavyweight Champion. I don’t have to say a whole lot more about the way I feel about Ric Flair; no respect, no honor. There is no honor amongst thieves in the first place.

He put hard times on Dusty Rhodes and his family. You don’t know what hard times are daddy. Hard times are when the textile workers around this country are out of work, they got 4 or 5 kids and can’t pay their wages, can’t buy their food. Hard times are when the auto workers are out of work and they tell ‘em to go home. And hard times are when a man has worked at a job for thirty years, thirty years, and they give him a watch, kick him in the butt and say “hey a computer took your place, daddy”, that’s hard times! That’s hard times! And Ric Flair you put hard times on this country by takin’ Dusty Rhodes out, that’s hard times. And we all had hard times together, and I admit, I don’t look like the athlete of the day supposed to look. My belly’s just a lil’ big, my heiny’s a lil’ big, but brother, I am bad. And they know I’m bad.

There were two bad people… One was John Wayne and he’s dead brother, and the other’s right here. Nature Boy Ric Flair, the World’s Heavyweight title belongs to these people. I’mma reach out right now, I want you at home to know my hand is touchin’ your hand for the gathering of the biggest body of people in this country, in this universe, all over the world now, reachin’ out because the love that was given me and this time I will repay you now. Because I will be the next World’s Heavyweight Champion on this hard time blues. Dusty Rhodes tour, ‘85.

And Ric Flair, Nature Boy… Let me leave you with this. One way to hurt Ric Flair, is to take what he cherishes more than anything in the world and that’s the World’s Heavyweight title. I’m gon’ take it, I been there twice. This time when I take it daddy, I’m gon’ take it for you. Let’s gather for it. Don’t let me down now, ‘cause I came back for you, for that man upstairs that died 10-12 years ago and never got the opportunity to see a real World’s Champion. And I’m proud of you, thank god I have you, and I love you. I love you!

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
So, I love Adam Pearce. I've always thought he was a good dude. Saw his own personal tribute to Rhodes on his Facebook page and thought I'd share it here in case anyone else might enjoy reading it.

Godspeed, Dusty Rhodes.
I met him in 1999 when I was in Atlanta trying out for World Championship Wrestling. On the second day, he took me into a little production room at WCW’s PowerPlant training facility. It was me, him, and a camera.

“You’re facing Sid Vicious on Nitro next Monday, and no one thinks you have a chance. Tell me about it. 45 seconds. Go.” I cut my promo and then waited for him to speak.

For what felt like an eternity he said nothing and just looked at me, like he was looking through me.

“You remind me of a young Sting,” he said. “And you can talk a little. That was good, but let me show you how I’d cut that promo.”

And then Dusty Rhodes cut a promo as me. As me. I was 21 years old and blown away.

Fast-forward almost 14 years later; my first day working as a Guest Coach at the WWE Performance Center. I came back from lunch and opened the office door. There he was.

For what felt like an eternity he said nothing and just looked at me, again like he was looking through me. Finally he smiled.

“Hey Champ,” he said. “How are ya, good to see you.”

Dusty Rhodes called ME “champ”. I was 35 years old and blown away.

From that point on, I always took the opportunity to sit in and help him in any way I could during his Presentation Skills classes. But truth be told, I always felt like I was learning just as much as everyone else. And sure, he’d call on me to critique or help or lend my opinion, but moreover I would sit there amazed and trying to absorb the wisdom that would come out of him. Not for me to use, mind you, but for me to pass on to someone else. To future generations. Good God, I wish that time wasn’t now.

I’m glad we had an opportunity to get to know one another beyond the everyday platitudes and “wrestling” stuff. We both loved our Green Bay Packers and joked about walking around the office wearing our NWA belts, but mostly we talked about our children, regrets and desires, and everyday life.

I ALWAYS felt like I learned something from him. I’m so incredibly grateful for that.

Dusty Rhodes owed me nothing, yet always gave his insight and experience. I KNEW that he wanted me to succeed, and that means the world to me. During the first WWE match I ever produced on my own, he sat right behind me, over my left shoulder.

As the bell run and the match was over, I thanked the guys in the truck and the referee and I looked back at him.

He nodded his head and smiled. “You did real good, Champ. Yah, real good.” We had a laugh and then, for shits-and-giggles, we took the selfie you see at the end of this note. A little later on, away from everything, I went up to him.

“Before I fly home tomorrow, I just wanted to say thank you for your help along the way, Dream. For everything.”

“Thank YOU,” he said. And he gave me a hug.

“Travel safe, Champ, I'll see ya soon. Love ya, kid.”

“Thanks, Dream. Love ya too.”

My heart is so heavy and my thoughts and prayers are with the family and everyone that called him a friend. I wanted so badly for my family to meet him, not for who he was, but for WHO he WAS. Dream, I’ll never be able to thank you enough for all you gave me that you never had to.

Godspeed, my friend. I'll never ever let you down.

-AP

11403486_867478886620842_778452494933239122_n.jpg

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
This song, tho.

I always loved this as a kid. It was my favorite ring song because it really got you prepared to watch a match. It got your blood pumping.

This is the most upsetting wrestling death for me in a long time. Dusty was a huge part of my childhood. I usually don't get teared up over celebrity deaths, but this guy meant a whole lot to me. I know we didn't get to see him much anymore, but the times we did, I loved it. I'll miss you BIG TIME, Dusty. :sob:

Reactions: Prince Bálor

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this...

tumblr_npss6u53MG1thyor9o1_250.gif

tumblr_npss6u53MG1thyor9o3_250.gif

tumblr_npss6u53MG1thyor9o5_250.gif

tumblr_npss6u53MG1thyor9o8_250.gif

tumblr_mwuhrs6KCT1qhbhvxo1_500.jpg

tumblr_npsqdvYMZk1qlhou3o1_500.png

tumblr_npsqdvYMZk1qlhou3o2_500.jpg

tumblr_npsqdvYMZk1qlhou3o3_500.jpg

tumblr_npsqdvYMZk1qlhou3o4_500.png

[HASHTAG]#RIPDUSTYRHODES[/HASHTAG]

MsCharlotteWWE: “I’ve wined and dined with kings and queens… And I’ve slept in alleys and ate pork and beans!” ♥

WWE_Murphy: So saddened by the passing of the [HASHTAG]#AmericanDream[/HASHTAG] @WWEDustyRhodes - He was an amazing person with an amazing mind! He made [HASHTAG]#NXT[/HASHTAG] so great!

wwemarcuslouis: Wow,such sad news today. Dusty Rhodes passed away…RIP Dream…

BaronCorbinWWE: I’m speechless hearing about the passing of @WWEDustyRhodes he has been an amazing mentor to me, and was an unbelievable person to be around.

WWEAaLLday21: @WWEDustyRhodes Im going to miss u so much. My mentor & my biggest advocate… Words can’t express how I feel. Just Thank you.

ScottDawsonWWE: I’m speechless. RIP to a mentor, legend, & hero. There will never be another like you. [HASHTAG]#AmericanDream[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#DustyRhodes[/HASHTAG]

FightOwensFight: There are no words that can express the sadness in our hearts. RIP Dusty Rhodes…You will be missed, Dream…We love you

SFulton_WWE: I’m glad I had the opportunity to learn from a great like Dusty [HASHTAG]#RIP[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#ThankYouDream[/HASHTAG]

CarmellaWWE: Learned more than I can say from Dusty Rhodes…because of him, I am who I am. A true legend who taught me how to be myself. [HASHTAG]#ThankYouDream[/HASHTAG]

JasonJordanJJ: There is not enough good things to say about Dusty Rhodes and the positive influence he has had on my and many others lives! Thank you & RIP

WWEDrakeWuertz: Dusty told me “Be the 1st one on the bus & be ready to ride” RIP Dream. You were the heart & soul of what we do here.

BeckyLynchWWE: Can’t say enough about everything Dusty Rhodes did for me.There will never b another one like him.Absolute 1 of a kind legend [HASHTAG]#ThankYouDream[/HASHTAG]

wwebalor: See you at the next ‘town’ Dream! [HASHTAG]#RIPDustyRhodes[/HASHTAG]

WWECrowe: Beyond heart broken hearing the passing of “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes. A true mentor and legend. Thank You Dream. You will be missed.

itsBayleyWWE: Thank you for always believing in us. Love you Dreamy Weamy.

SashaBanksWWE: Without you, I wouldn’t have a voice. Simply… Thank you Dream!

HideoItami: I’m speechless. Thank you @WWEDustyRhodes for everything.[HASHTAG]#RIP[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#AmericanDream[/HASHTAG]

BigCassWWE: A man who saw a lot in me when nobody else did. Had my back since day one. Proud to have called you teacher, mentor,& friend [HASHTAG]#RIPDustyRhodes[/HASHTAG]

AlexaBliss_WWE: My heart is breaking for the Rhodes family . @WWEDustyRhodes was an amazing coach and we will all miss him so much . RIP Dream ♥

TheWWEBlake: I’m absolutely devastated to hear about the passing of Dusty Rhodes. You will be missed and I love you! [HASHTAG]#AmericanDream[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#RIP[/HASHTAG]

BullDempseyWWE: At a loss for words. I love you Dream. One of a kind. Tonight we honor you the best way we can. Tearing the damn house down. [HASHTAG]#ThankYouDusty[/HASHTAG]

DanaBrookeWWE: ♥ A man who believed in me since day 1, a father, a legend, a friend, a hero & now an above!Deepest sympathy.

GotchStyleWWE: "Don’t waste your time when the red light is on" “Never let the truth get in the way of a good story” good bye, Dream.

WWEDramaKing: 140 damn characters isn’t enough…Dream was a legend who always believed in me. I will NEVER forget what he taught me. Rest in Peace.

WWENeville: I’ll forever be in debt for everything you taught me. Thank you Dream. RIP Dusty Rhodes.

WWERollins: I was ever so fortunate to be a friend to this man, to learn from him as a performer and as a human being. [HASHTAG]#RIPDusty[/HASHTAG]

EmmaWWE: Dusty Rhodes helped me, find me! He helped me live my dream, and for that I am forever grateful! [HASHTAG]#RIPDustyRhodes[/HASHTAG]

RealPaigeWWE: Can’t believe you’re gone dusty. You were a mentor and an inspiration to me and many. Always believed in the underdog, my hero. RIP ❤️

XavierWoodsPhD: One of our greatest passed away today. [HASHTAG]#DustyRhodes[/HASHTAG] thank you for everything you taught me. We will miss you.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Courtesy of ROH, Dusty dropping Elbows on Special K like it's going out of style.

Also random Ox Baker appearance.