Do you think The Hardy Boyz would get huge pop from the crowd returning to...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Abso-fucking-lutely.

And then a month later, the fans would be clamoring for the regular Hardy Boyz. lol

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
Would they get the pop? Of course. The question is how long does it take before A: Vince completely fucks up their gimmick? B: They become a Attitude era novelty act? C: Ask for their release and go back to TNA?

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
I have to disagree. I think that the Demon King persona almost comes off as a multiple personality in a way. It's almost as if he can't just be it all of the time because he doesn't have control over that. I think it really plays off the freak angle a lot more than you get with the other guys.
Can't say I agree. The Demon King is basically Finn with paint. Their characters don't differ at all.

By no means is it Mutoh and Great Muta

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Can't say I agree. The Demon King is basically Finn with paint. Their characters don't differ at all.

By no means is it Mutoh and Great Muta

This will be one of those agree to disagree things then because he has several times indicated a distinction in personality. I'm not saying it's a multiple personality thing, but he does act different when he is the demon king. He definitely doesn't wrestle different, but there is distinction.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
This will be one of those agree to disagree things then because he has several times indicated a distinction in personality. I'm not saying it's a multiple personality thing, but he does act different when he is the demon king. He definitely doesn't wrestle different, but there is distinction.
Okay...so first things first...Finn needs to fully recover from his injury and work out
whatever "ring rust" he has...with that out of the way...

I really do hope the WWE take a chance and explore the Demon King persona...and
there are subtle ways to do it without truly slipping into "this is just silly" territory.

Idea:
After returning from his injury Finn begins to show strange behavior...perhaps he's
more openly aggressive towards the WWE staff and referees...perhaps he shows up
to do a backstage promo with half his face painted...and when questioned about it...
he doesn't remember the paint being applied. Perhaps a backstage altercation with
Gallows & Anderson...a slow build over time that chips away slowly at Finn.

Perhaps in a moment of clarity Finn is shown talking with Bayley...giving her advice
and tactics about her current feud/opponent. Finn explains that you can never show
weakness...not to your enemies, not to your allies...but most of all...not to yourself.

During what seems like a simple conversation it turns serious as Finn explains that
"he" blames him for being weak...that the body "he" shares with him is weak...frail...
fragile...and that "he" finally claimed a true crown only for Finn to give it up.

Bayley seems to understand but like everyone...she doesn't realize how deep Finn
was wounded by Rising and Falling so quickly...to have the dream come true...only
to fall into a nightmare...And internally the Demon King blames Finn for holding him
back and making him weak.

Because while the Demon King is part of Finn...the part that failed them is all Finn...
His mind did not break...his body broke...and even though the Demon King would
have kept fighting and ruling his kingdom (the WWE ring) he couldn't...because
the shell he resides in was cracked.

You see subconsciously Finn is willing to let his other side...the Demon King...take
control...because he knows the Demon King makes him better, makes him stronger...
makes him...more...and not only that...but Finn feels he owes the Demon King...
because the Demon King has given him so much...it has allowed him to live his
life doing what he truly loves...wrestling.

A triggering event would be needed...perhaps a Universal Title match...perhaps a
No.1 Contenders match...perhaps it could be something simple...something shown
in a backstage segment...but whatever it is...from that point on...the Demon King
is in control...and from that point on...allow Finn (as a performer) to truly explore
the character...turn it up 11 and run with it.

Make the character...the persona...more than just paint and crawling around on
the ground.

And the story you tell is...
The Rise and Dominance of the Demon King...
and then...
The Redemption and Acceptance of Finn Balor...

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
WWE under their Broken Matt Hardy and Brother Nero gimmick that they've been doingi

Definitely think they would get huge pops...

I wouldn't personally cheer for Jeff but I'd like to see Broken Matt as a surprise. Small possibillity we see Matt & I think it would be smart for WWE to call him. Just not so sure they will since they don't always do what the fans want.

I'm pretty confident KURT ANGLE will be there though, even if it's just an appearance.

They need that surprise element that they're missing. I really hope they're not counting on Finn Balor's return to provide it because if they are, they're in for a surprise themselves.

Kurt Angle & Broken Matt would be 2 nice surprises, throw in a few of NXT call ups & have Y2J win it

Last edited:

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
I have to disagree. I think that the Demon King persona almost comes off as a multiple personality in a way. It's almost as if he can't just be it all of the time because he doesn't have control over that. I think it really plays off the freak angle a lot more than you get with the other guys.

This. What I see is Demon King is his alter ego and a place he goes to to lose all control, inhibition, etc. Which makes him stronger (hence the undefeated streak. For now atleast) and if I was booking WWE, i'd make that streak rival the undertaker's.

EDIT: And if he was the demon king all the time, it wouldn't really be as special imo. It's like Batman needs Bruce Wayne, Superman needs Clark Kent.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
This. What I see is Demon King is his alter ego and a place he goes to to lose all control, inhibition, etc. Which makes him stronger (hence the undefeated streak. For now atleast) and if I was booking WWE, i'd make that streak rival the undertaker's.
Yes...let's build up another streak...that the WWE can eventually ruin...great idea...
EDIT: And if he was the demon king all the time, it wouldn't really be as special imo. It's like Batman needs Bruce Wayne, Superman needs Clark Kent.
True...but this isn't comics...and Finn Balor as Finn Balor is boring...So...
either develop his character or put the paint on him full time.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Yes...let's build up another streak...that the WWE can eventually ruin...great idea...

True...but this isn't comics...and Finn Balor as Finn Balor is boring...So...
either develop his character or put the paint on him full time.

It doesn't have to be a comic or a movie or a show, it is a form of entertainment where they tell a story, and having the alter ego helps them show two sides to the same man. And Finn is the right way to do it (not the Kane way where he was Corporate Kane and Demon Kane at the same time). I agree Finn needs work on his promos but the last thing I would put him down as is boring in the ring.

As for the streak, i am not really in the camp to say that it was 'ruined'. Maybe they could have used it to push a younger wrestler, sure and they probably should have, just like killing of Brock's dominance. But when you think about it, It's what, almost 3 years after the streak ended, and we still have fans hurt about it? Fans talking and debating it. That's what they wanted and that's what they got. Now whether they will ruin another streak or not is up to them, but not knowing for sure either way is the fun of watching, well it is for me.

Although it's pretty clear, like @Jacob Fox said, this is simply going to be one of those agree to disagree things.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I agree Finn needs work on his promos but the last thing I would put him down as is boring in the ring.
I never said he was boring in the ring...far from it...He's fantastic...
His matches against Kevin Owens where (In my opinion) classics.

I mean that the Demon King is interesting...its the part of Balor
that could be used to tell interesting stories and really allow the
WWE elevate Finn to the highest of levels.

You can't open the box and show me what's inside...then put the
lid back on...its just a tease and frankly...not fair.
(not the Kane way where he was Corporate Kane and Demon Kane at the same time).
I missed that...but honestly...I would have enjoyed it...simply
because I'm a Glen Jacobs Fanboy...have been since the
Kane character debuted.
As for the streak, i am not really in the camp to say that it was 'ruined'. Maybe they could have used it to push a younger wrestler, sure and they probably should have, just like killing of Brock's dominance. But when you think about it, It's what, almost 3 years after the streak ended, and we still have fans hurt about it? Fans talking and debating it. That's what they wanted and that's what they got. Now whether they will ruin another streak or not is up to them, but not knowing for sure either way is the fun of watching, well it is for me.

Although it's pretty clear, like @Jacob Fox said, this is simply going to be one of those agree to disagree things.
Fair call...agree to disagree...

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
I never said he was boring in the ring...far from it...He's fantastic...
His matches against Kevin Owens where (In my opinion) classics.

I mean that the Demon King is interesting...its the part of Balor
that could be used to tell interesting stories and really allow the
WWE elevate Finn to the highest of levels.

You can't open the box and show me what's inside...then put the
lid back on...its just a tease and frankly...not fair.

I missed that...but honestly...I would have enjoyed it...simply
because I'm a Glen Jacobs Fanboy...have been since the
Kane character debuted.

Fair call...agree to disagree...
Thank the lucky stars you missed it!

This is one of the many 'moments'

Reactions: Grievous 3D

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
See...I thought that was cool...cause its Kane...
:)
It would have been if he didn't spend the entire month switching back and forth. I dont remember the storyline completely but it was just eh. They've flip flopped on him too many times sadly to make any Demon Kane return look like a legitimate threat. Much respect to being a Kane fan though.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score

It's actually psychologically sound and that may be one of the reasons I like the whole Demon King thing. Even if it's not played off as being a dissociative identity, if it is just an alter ego, it can explain differences between the characters. There have been studies (one by Karen Pine a professor of psychology at the University of Hartfordshire) that show that a change of appearance can have a profound effect on behavior. One of her studies had men and women alternate days wearing normal clothes and Superman costumes. On the days they wore Superman costumes, they exhibited stronger confidence in both their physical and mental abilities and they performed BETTER at school and work. On the days where they were wearing normal clothes, they went back to baseline.

In fact, there were athletes who have been able to lift weights and perform better when they were simply wearing a costume of someone who had those abilities. One of the theories of why this works is that a person can gain confidence based off other people's perceptions of him.

If you've ever put on a costume and felt like the person in that costume, you'll know what I mean. A reserved person may dress up like Ric Flair and suddenly be filled with cockiness and confidence and start acting in ways that they would never act before. And once they take the costume off, many times, they'll be shocked that they actually behaved that way. So Finn having more confidence and performing better when he's in the Demon King persona makes perfect sense from that standpoint.