Do you get hate for being a wrestling fan ?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Redboy123@

Reaction score
Wrestling is not fake. It’s real, obviously.

Also, wrestling is a sport. I view “sport” as anything that requires competition. Thus, wrestling is scripted, but these guys are competing against one another every night. They “sell” to make the other guy look good, but it makes them look good as well. No matter who wins or loses, the fans respect the overall wrestling ability of the superstar, which encompasses selling, storytelling in the ring, execution of moves, persona, promos, anything and everything related to wrestling. It’s one of the most competitive environments I’ve ever been apart of, and at the end of the day, win, lose, or draw, the superstar who can do all of the above the best, is the better competitor and ultimately “wins.”

And, all my friends know I’m a wrestling fan, and they make fun of me. But, I’m quick to remind them that I know MMA, then they stfu.
You are saying that anything that involves competition is a sport. So competition between coke and Pepsi is sport. Working as a salesman is sport. Finding a mate in the wild is sport.

For me there are different types of competition. Obviously professional wrestling is highly competitive. But to me that type of competition is the same competition in show business. Probably because the wrestling business is show business. This is because professional wrestling is about putting on performance, not a sporting competition.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
No they are just figure skating. Of someone is throwing a football around by themselves. I wouldn't say they were engaging in sport. Practicing for sport.

Yeah I just can't get my mind around that way of thinking. They are doing the exact same thing but the thing that makes it a sport is that they are competing?

I do understand that professional wrestling requires a lot of skill and talent that is very physically demanding. But the way I distinguish what a sport is a physical activity that challenges you physically and mentally. That also has direct competition.

I would argue that cheerleading is a sport. Unfortunately professional wresting does not fulfill my specification.

But cheerleading is not always competitive. So is only competitive cheerleading a sport or is all cheerleading a sport. Because if you argue all cheerleading is a sport, competitive or not, it would disagree with your view on figure skating.

You are saying that anything that involves competition is a sport. So competition between coke and Pepsi is sport. Working as a salesman is sport. Finding a mate in the wild is sport.

For me there are different types of competition. Obviously professional wrestling is highly competitive. But to me that type of competition is the same competition in show business. Probably because the wrestling business is show business. This is because professional wrestling is about putting on performance, not a sporting competition.

I think the difference is that professional wrestlers are taking part in a physical activity and are competing, whereupon Pepsi and Coke are companies competing for sales. I don't want to put words in @edge4ever 's mouth, but I assume that is what he meant.

I mean, it's all moot anyway. Nothing is really going to change depending upon how we look at it. Mostly I was just curious.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
On topic, though, I generally get a little surprise when I tell people I like wrestling. So many people consider it very low brow and are surprised a well educated person would enjoy it. I tend to point out that many of the people I know who like wrestling are well educated or intelligent. During my undergrad in the honors dorm, several of the students were wrestling fans. One guy who went to medical school afterwards and is now a practicing doctor also.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score

Let me be more specific for you: anything that involves a form of physical competition.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Yeah I just can't get my mind around that way of thinking. They are doing the exact same thing but the thing that makes it a sport is that they are competing?

But cheerleading is not always competitive. So is only competitive cheerleading a sport or is all cheerleading a sport. Because if you argue all cheerleading is a sport, competitive or not, it would disagree with your view on figure skating.

I think the difference is that professional wrestlers are taking part in a physical activity and are competing, whereupon Pepsi and Coke are companies competing for sales. I don't want to put words in @edge4ever 's mouth, but I assume that is what he meant.

I mean, it's all moot anyway. Nothing is really going to change depending upon how we look at it. Mostly I was just curious.
What he said

Redboy123@

Reaction score
So is only competitive cheerleading a sport or is all cheerleading a sport
I only think competitive cheerleading is a sport. Cheerleading on the side lines of an actual sport is definitly not a sport.

They are doing the exact same thing but the thing that makes it a sport is that they are competing?
Well in a way. If you are doing a a physical activity (like figure skating) that can be competitive but you are only doing it by yourself then yeah I suppose you are still doing a sport. As for Wrestling, its sole reason for it not being a sport is that it does not contain any sporting competition. I think thats a pretty fair and logical opinion to have.

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
None of my friends or neighbors give me any shit being a wrestling mark. When I told a neighbor that I watch NJPW, he knows people who are Japanese wrestling marks so it's not an issue. Several years ago, I asked a few of my facebook friends whether they watch Ring of Honor, as they used to watch the Attitude Era, and they said they don't watch wrestling anymore. So they know I'm a wrestling fan. I'm unabashed about it.

Reactions: jminter2698

kristen w

Jobber
Reaction score
I do all the time, even when I was a kid during The Attitude Era, my grandmother was not a fan of it at all, she was okay with me watching cartoons and educational programs though. Anything with blood or stitches and stuff like that, she never liked. My grandfather also wasn't a fan of the WWE (which was then WWF) or WCW but he let me watch it after a couple of years. My parents were okay with it as long as I got my homework from school done on Monday or Thursday nights, otherwise I wasn't allowed to watch it. The teachers at school also hated it and didn't understand why it was so popular, it was often banned from recess because the kids at school would do the middle fingers like Stone Cold Steve Austin, saying candy ass like The Rock or the Suck It thing that DX does. Even now people still bash me for watching it, but it's mostly on the Internet. I realized it had something to do with the violence, which now as an adult, I understand why non wrestling fans had a problem with it. But if you look at the product now, that's the complete opposite of what it was when I was a kid, with John Cena being a role model for the kids, you would think people have softened their stance on wrestling but no, it still exists.

I think guys for some reason get less of a you no Stigma from you no parents or whoever because of watching wrestling I don't know why that is I don't know why people and you know give women grief for doing that I didn't typically have the posters and all that I have T-shirts and stuff but I don't you know really watch it around people but just because I don't want the not hazing but you know that people can attend what are you doing you know I just know I'm not one that I really like people that you know get at me for something I'm watching because I don't do that to other people so you know it's it's it's just entertainment and these guys are very very skilled at what they do and it's not all fake and I know that for sure and people can believe what they believe but that's what I know so people can say to me what they want I just will watch it when no one's around I don't care I don't care about the criticism because I'm a female so I think guys have it a little bit easier on that front

Crash

Reaction score
I never get heat for liking professional wrestling, most of the time people will say they don't like it cause it's fake, then I just tell them that even tho it is scripted that they are real athletes that give their body and work hard and deserve respect like any other sports. Even some of my friends were impressed when I showed them some NJPW matches they said that was a good show. I just think that there is a stigma to the WWE that came with all the foolishness of the late 90s and early 00s that were so ridiculous to the point that people lost all credibility in wrestling. But I think it is slowly building up and people are coming back into it with the indies and everything. I think the future is good for us.

Cloud

Champion
Reaction score
I used to get grief about it. But I've shown nonwrestling fans some of the crazier and athletic matches and they've understood why I could be into it. Plus if they get argumentative I just remind them of all the match-fixing and cheating in 'legitimate sports' and they give up.