Did the PPV Ruin The Match?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I have a problem with this PPV. Often lately, they just put a match together because to have a Cell match. But for the longest time, this was the final match to settle a long feud. Now it feels boring and routine to me. I think they should axe it and just have the matches on different PPVs.

Doxo

Moist Nephew
Reaction score
I used to think yes, absolutely. Think about the Royal Rumble, or the Elimination Chamber. They are events, every January and every February, you get those two matches no matter what else is going on. The Hell in a Cell ppv did something similar, where every October, you just get the match no matter what.

But then I thought about Extreme Rules. That show makes extreme rules matches just happen, but we still get extreme rules matches throughout the year. Is the no holds barred match at Summerslam instantly lame because we always get one in May? In a similar light, the HiaC Cell match is always the least cool HiaC every year, but does that make other Cell matches less cool? Remember Taker v McMahon at WM 32? It was still awesome, despite the HiaC ppv.

I think the problem is that HiaC's happen far less, making the ppv the only time we get to see it. Whenever it happens outside of the show, it's still just as amazing as in the old days.

Plus, even then, the ppv Cells aren't the worst, my favorite match is Usos v New Day in the cell, and remember how good Owens v Shane was? The main problem is that most of the latest matches, Banks vs Charlotte, Reigns vs Strowman, Rollins vs Fiend, they've been absolute garbage, but is that really because it's an unnecessary cell match, or is it because they were bad matches?

Reactions: Jacob Fox

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Plus, even then, the ppv Cells aren't the worst, my favorite match is Usos v New Day in the cell, and remember how good Owens v Shane was? The main problem is that most of the latest matches, Banks vs Charlotte, Reigns vs Strowman, Rollins vs Fiend, they've been absolute garbage, but is that really because it's an unnecessary cell match, or is it because they were bad matches?

But very often a really intense rivalry can make a match better because we get more emotionally involved.

Doxo

Moist Nephew
Reaction score
But very often a really intense rivalry can make a match better because we get more emotionally involved.
You're totally right, but does having non emotionally involved matches ruin the Cell, or just the match itself?

But here's were the rot actually kicks in. In the past 11 years, we've only had two non-HiaC Cell matches. Outside matches make the Cell just as cool as it once was, but we never get them.

So did the ppv ruin the match? I don't think so, ruin implies that it's broken, like how they ruined The Ascension. I think the ppv is like a very very fat man sitting on the match, suffocating it, but they can get off at any time and it'll pop back up. #StopSittingOnTheCell

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
You're totally right, but does having non emotionally involved matches ruin the Cell, or just the match itself?
Only if they overdue it. If we get a lot of cell matches every year with minimal build up, then we might stop looking forward to cell matches at all. Right now, I am not into it at all and that is sad for me.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Most definitely. The match was originally the culmination of a grudge, and now it's just a date on the calendar. You don't get Undertaker v. Michaels or Undertaker v. Batista calibre Cell matches anymore precisely because they shoehorn feuds that are happening, at the time, into these matches instead building the feud with the match itself. It's a shame too, the same degradation has happened to the Chamber. The only gimmick match PPV that works and belongs is the Money in the Bank.

Reactions: Mustafar Reginald

Deadmanforever97

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
bookert
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
To be honest the match used to be like a birthday gift to us.

But I wouldn't say it's ruined. It's too classic to be ruined in my opinion.

They just gave Hell in a Cell a mid card feel with the ppv

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Absolutely, yes. It puts feuds that aren't always worthy in the match simply because "It is that time of year," and there is a difference between say, The Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber, or Money in the Bank than a HIAC. The Rumble doesn't require major storyline, the Elimination Chamber is at least excused as a way to lead to determining a number one contender for Wrestlemania if the Rumble winner doesn't pick that match, or just a "last-ditch effort to get to a mania title match" and Money in the Bank... While this year appears to be kind of pointless, is a way to determine a number one contender down the line and you don't need a feud to be in a match.

Crash

Reaction score
Yes, I personally do not like gimmick PPVs at all. Except Royal Rumble of course and maybe Elimination Chamber.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Absolutely, but I think it's just a match that should have been done away with in the PG Era.
When I started watching, it was a match I looked back and watched because of the awesome spectacle that was the 6-man HIAC.
Going back to seeing Shawn vs Taker. Taker vs Mankind. So many classic Cell matches on Youtube pre-Network.
When I first saw there was going to be a HIAC PPV I was pumped, and liked the gimmick PPV's at first.
But you expect a certain level of chaos with a Cell match, they built that into the mystique of the cell, and the first PG HIAC match was a regular match with a cage around it
and now it's devolved into such a meme after the last 2 PPV's. It's become a true anti-draw for me.

InsaneAlphaBeta

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
The last hell in a cell match i watched ended in a DQ

That alone, the fact i can even make that sentance, should answer your question.

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Definitely. Hell in a Cell was my favourite gimmick match and the primary reason for that was more than any other gimmick match, Hell in a Cell was less about the content of the match as it was about the context. Though it's not like the PPV is the only culprit here, the ridiculous non-sensical booking the last few years have done maybe even more damage. Or maybe it just feels that way because it's spitting on the grave but HIAC shouldn't be ending in No Contests or DQ's/Match Stoppage (however they want to spin that, it's stupid). And this may just be a me thing but the bigger Cell design that started using killed a lot of it too. Not only does it limit the amount of high spots possible (sans Shane McMahon being nuts), but HIAC is suppose to be sort of claustrophobic, it's too open now, doesn't convey the same intense atmosphere of two heated rivals being trapped in. There's of course been great HIAC matches after PPV era, End of an Era is one of my favourites HIAC matches (though that had a lot of added context that felt natural due to the history of those involved, and being at Mania instead of HIAC) but what made the match so special originally has undeniably been lost in the transition.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
This year they have 3 matches that all coincidentally appropriate for the Hell In A Cell stipulation.

Maybe Jey vs Roman isn't worthy but it definitely the most over programme in wrestling atm

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
The last hell in a cell match i watched ended in a DQ

That alone, the fact i can even make that sentance, should answer your question.

I still don't know if it was DQ or a No-Contest to this day. The biggest defence people have used has been either the story, or saying "Well, they should have stopped with Mick Foley..."

For the story, I have seen a couple of videos about the horror movie links to The Fiend, and I can sort of seeing it in a way, but the execution was done poorly. I don't even recall the announcer saying "A Referee has ordered a stop to this match, therefore it is a draw" or whatever.

Then in terms of Mick Foley's cell match with Undertaker as a comparison... Mick Foley was legit injured and even if the match was iconic, they probably should have stopped it all things considered! But the match wasn't stopped due to a legit injury... It was just stupid. Even in kayfabe, he got right back up after and laid him out.

Counting the previous year with the Non-Finish with Braun and Roman, the Hell in a Cell match concept has been tainted especially after classics like the first Hell in a Cell, the before mentioned Mankind vs Taker and countless others. People don't even think of some of the better HIAC matches we got over the past couple of years like Becky vs Sasha, Usos vs New Day, because those two examples just hurt a lot.

And I think X Pac's reaction puts it the best.